sworddmn

Rank 0
PostedFeb 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Cyber teasing and bullying

a friend of mine has quit
today i just found out a mate of mine has deleted his char on eden eternal because some high lvl players where teasing him with his sexuality which i think is very immature and so lame because now that aeria have allowed the making of homesexual couple wont see things like that??
Advertisement

Gahloman

Rank 0
Gahloman
PostedFeb 24, 2013 8:53 pm
Even though that the issue at hand was out of "my" particular control, I sincerely apologize for the harassment that your friend had to endure.

However, I wish you and your friend to know that Aeria does not condone such acts of harassment. Also know that you do not need to deal with harassment put onto you or your friends. If you see anything like that occurring, take screenshots of the incident and send them in the form of a Game Support ticket so that proper measures can be taken.

CloudAcolyte

Rank 1
CloudAcolyte
PostedFeb 24, 2013 9:20 pm
Online games are notoriously bad when it comes to maturity. Mixing young, immature people with a sprinkle of anonymity is quite a potent concoction. Just adding a commonly bullied minority like LGBT kids is just asking for trouble. Far too much ignorance and false information flying around these days about that community. =(

As a transperson, I know the feeling. It takes time to build up an immunity to the attacks and the insults thrown at you every single day for being yourself. The only advice I can give is not let it get to you.... and arm yourself with a list of "logical fallacies". That was a big turn around for me. Knowing when the logistics of what someone says becomes invalid, redundant, or false really helps reduce the effectiveness of what they're saying. (I think this applies to everyone... LEARN YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS. School doesn't teach you about Logical Fallacies. Look them up, you'll thank yourself for it!)

Good to see you support your friend. You have my thanks for sticking by people like myself. Wish your friend the best for me.

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedFeb 25, 2013 12:45 am
If your friend is offended by people on the internet, well, I'd advise him to not go on the internet.

Synphie

Rank 0
Synphie
PostedFeb 25, 2013 2:47 am
Who knows? Why do you have to believe those bullies who are in the internet anyway? A bully is already worse enough. A bully in the internet= a HUGE no-lifer.

Besides it's way easy to ignore bullies in the internet than in real life.

jamdoughnut

Rank 2
jamdoughnut
PostedFeb 25, 2013 8:52 am
Sweetdevil, if you have nothing nice or helpful to say, I'd suggest saying nothing at all.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

gewk

Rank 0
PostedFeb 25, 2013 8:55 am
jamdoughnut wrote:
Sweetdevil, if you have nothing nice or helpful to say, I'd suggest saying nothing at all.  

he is just being honest, the only post that i agree with out of his 1203425942549 Brilliant complaints

Play nice.

hollowinga

Rank 0
PostedFeb 25, 2013 9:08 am
jamdoughnut wrote:

He got a point though. What's the point of going on the internet if you already rage quit when some guys tease you with your sexuality.

skylar.j.hawk

Rank 0
skylar.j.hawk
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:22 am
@ hollowinga, gewk and sweetdevil

The existence of rude or harassing people on the internet is not justification for them. Admittedly, having a thick skin will save you from some emotional hurt when dealing with those people online.

However, statements like "if people are mean to you on the internet, don't go on the internet" merely mock the offended and encourages online bullies to think that they can make people they don't like go away by harassing them.

Instead of accepting that internet bullies exist and ignoring them, accept that they exist, but don't tolerate their behavior. Have the courage to tell someone else that they're out of line for picking on someone else (in a constructive way), or speak up for the person being picked on.

criss8427

Rank 3
criss8427
PostedFeb 25, 2013 11:38 am
jamdoughnut wrote:

^+10 to this. Also, just because its the internet doesn't mean it makes the act of bullying and harassment better or something to condone. Harassment whether its through the internet or in person is wrong and hurtful.

"Bullying is the name we give to any negative, aggressive action that hurts,
humiliates, demeans, frightens or excludes someone." To ignore cyber-bullying is just as well as saying, its okay for it to continue. People say its "just teasing" but it still hurts.