Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 23, 2013 10:07 pm   Last edited by Millumi on Feb 24, 2013 11:01 am. Edited 3 times in total

Evaluation of Secret Skills

I think it would be good to evaluate whether the secret skills are worth getting, so I'm going to look at the description and write what I think of the skill.
(*edit) Color Coded it: green for defensive buff, blue for offensive buff, dark red for aoe, orange for debuff, and red for single target attacks(I'm counting shaman as single because it doesn't say a range or shape for an aoe, though I don't know)
Warrior: The skill is a defensive buff for parry and block.
Frankly, to me it looks useless. I mean, I guess if you had a 2h weapon on the parry would be good, but axe wielders tend to be dps warriors, and block caps out at 50% so the buff probably won't help much as warrior tanks usually get high enough stats to cap it unbuffed.
Knight: DoT which reduces move speed -20% for 12 seconds. This skill actually looks useful, though it depends highly on how much the DoT actually does, reducing move speed in addition to the move speed buff knight already has can make it easy use hit and run tactics, plus, it's a 3rd DoT skill, which makes it an effective counter to an enemy knight.
Templar: Increases attack speed and double hit rate, but reduces move speed 40%. I'd say this one is useless. Though the 15% double hit rate may look appealing to a templar, the 40% move speed penalty makes it a no go, and since templars use magic, attack speed isn't good at all.
Dragon Knight: Essentially decreases Luck(acc, mcrit rate, crit rate) with an aoe. I'd say this one is actually pretty good, though it depends how much. If it's a decent amount it would be an awesome attack in a territory war, since it not only affects dps, but healers as well(less crit heals). Not to mention how useful it would be tanking to decrease enemy offensive stats.

Thief: An attack skill which decreases crit rate and magic crit rate. I'd say the usefullness of this depends on the actual attack's power, dragon knight's crit reduction is only good because it's an aoe, single target debuffs like this don't usually have much use.
Martial Artist: Increases move speed and decreases malice. This is a good skill, martial artists can get a lot of malice due to that stacking attack speed and power buff, and the move speed bonus is just awesome.
Blade Dancer: Removes all debuffs, and increases attack spd/acc. That's pretty **** good. debuff removal skills are just awesome, and for a melee dps, you can never have too many attack speed buffs.
Samurai: 15 ft aoe. Simple skill, good skill.

Hunter: Healing over time skill. Eh, not that good, unless it heals a lot. If it heals a lot, you could probably use try to use it to be cheap by running away, stopping/slowing enemies while you heal, but even then, it probably wouldn't help much in most situations.
Engineer: 40% chance knockdown aoe IN MECHA FORM! Hard YEAH! There is no reason to NOT want this skill.
Ranger: 15% elemental resistsances and def. 15%. THAT is good! If you are human, it essentially means 25% elemental resists just for being ranger. Not to mention, it's 1 minute long! Combined with ranger's other defensive stuff, this is a great skill to have.

Cleric: DoT that reduces elemental (*edit* and physical) resistance(5 stacking, 2-10% resist drop). I'd say this is pretty good. Combined with cleric's holy/nature debuff, you get -20% resistance for your skills, plus it's great for taking down a boss because it helps out the mages a lot.
Bard: Wedge lightning AoE. Not that useful. Bards are healers and occasionally part-dps, but that's usually only good on boss fights, and aoes aren't.
Shaman: Not sure if this is an aoe from the description, but I'd say it isn't useful.
Sage: Reduces EVA and stops movement. Pfft. Like anyone cares about sage.

Magician: 1 min malice reduction eva increasing buff. This is a good skill, mages need malice reduction in dungeons, and eva is always good.
Illusionist: 15 ft Wedge aoe, with 15% knockback. I'd say this is okay. I mean, it's nice to get a decent aoe on a magic class besides mage, but being wedge shaped means you probably need to target someone, which isn't that good, though better than nothing.
Warlock: Dark AoE and DoT, within a 10ft range of caster. Decent, I guess it's another aoe, but it's 10ft around you, like lightning web, the uses are very limited.
Advertisement

SapphireMiku

Rank 1
SapphireMiku
PostedFeb 23, 2013 10:51 pm
Just something to add on this;

After playing around with the cleric skill a bit, I noticed (despite the skill being a standard DoT) the skill CAN miss. So the cleric skill IS based on accuracy. The skill itself stacks up to 5, but sometimes it takes 6+ attempts to reach 5 stacks. You may spend quite a bit of time trying to stack it, especially if you miss.

Also, you have to be careful to renew the timer. If the skill is about to run out, and you use it again to renew the timer, and you miss.. the timer will go to 0 and you'll have to re-stack from the beginning again.

PS. The cleric skill reduces ALL resistances. Not just elemental. It reduces physical resistances as well.

Also, despite being a DoT as well, the Knight skill counts as an ATTACK. We found this out when the 72 Knight skill triggered reflect on Ram in VennT. Normally DoTs do not tigger the reflect, but the 72 skill did, so it is consider an attack.

My assumption is that all the skills that do damage (including the DoTs) are "attacks", rather than "casts". Meaning they are subject to the same rules as any attack. Chance for the attack to miss by evasion or block would likely apply.

MarlinAngel

Rank 0
MarlinAngel
PostedMar 03, 2013 5:21 am
*Note that this is currently still being tested as I haven't been able to equip my actual dps guitar yet.

I would actually have to disagree on the bard skill being useelss. I've gotten it myself to play around with it and see what it does. It's an instant cast aoe with only one second cooldown, and has a really nice range.
Yes - bards are mainly support, but if you look at their knowledge points tree and their passives, you see that bards get 30% matk just from being equipped with a guitar. To that a global 10% matk can be added from KP, along with another 20% guitar matk bonus. Finally a 10% bonus can be added from crafting guitars. With the right equipment, this could bring a bard to really high amounts of matk while also maintaining cast speed and mcrit rate / dmg.
The fact that this skill is only one second cooldown while instantly casting the skill (I've seen mine hit between 10-30k so far at level 1 crits), brings back dungeon farming for bards (you can spam it while waiting for burning metal cooldown to finish), and they could actually become more useful in trials again, both keeping up songs and dpsing.

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedMar 03, 2013 6:27 am
The shammy skill is (unfortunately) not an aoe indeed, though its worth getting if you are a DPS shammy. The knock down with dmg increase when knocked down is really nice and handy, the skill itself is same cast time and cooldown as earth shock (for me often instant).
This skill made me love my shammy even more ^,^

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedMar 04, 2013 7:23 pm
MarlinAngel wrote:
I would actually have to disagree on the bard skill being useelss. I've gotten it myself to play around with it and see what it does. It's an instant cast aoe with only one second cooldown, and has a really nice range.
Yes - bards are mainly support, but if you look at their knowledge points tree and their passives, you see that bards get 30% matk just from being equipped with a guitar. To that a global 10% matk can be added from KP, along with another 20% guitar matk bonus. Finally a 10% bonus can be added from crafting guitars. With the right equipment, this could bring a bard to really high amounts of matk while also maintaining cast speed and mcrit rate / dmg.
The fact that this skill is only one second cooldown while instantly casting the skill (I've seen mine hit between 10-30k so far at level 1 crits), brings back dungeon farming for bards (you can spam it while waiting for burning metal cooldown to finish), and they could actually become more useful in trials again, both keeping up songs and dpsing.  

This. I've been hit with that in territory war, often for 10-20k depending on who it was that hit me (maybe more if a sadness ring or triple hit proc'd). This skill is amazing for dps bards. With the new arcane box system, bards are running around now with as much as 65k+ matk base. Not to mention that not many people stack lightning resistance. The low cd on the skill makes it spammable if you alternate with vocal bomb, so you can just keep instantly casting the 2 skills. I've even seen people inviting dps bards to trial now, since the aoe lets them mob.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedMar 05, 2013 8:37 am
raedrin wrote:
MarlinAngel wrote:

This. I've been hit with that in territory war, often for 10-20k depending on who it was that hit me (maybe more if a sadness ring or triple hit proc'd). This skill is amazing for dps bards. With the new arcane box system, bards are running around now with as much as 65k+ matk base. Not to mention that not many people stack lightning resistance. The low cd on the skill makes it spammable if you alternate with vocal bomb, so you can just keep instantly casting the 2 skills. I've even seen people inviting dps bards to trial now, since the aoe lets them mob.  

Regardless of how much M-Atk the skill raises, letting a M-DPS class run around with a skill that's 1.5 second cooldown instacast and another that's 3 second cooldown instacast means that it's got some pretty good nuking power with even half decent stats behind it. Also, 20 feet is insane range for it, especially since it's a fan.

I've seen LittleAngela use Vocal Bomb and the lightning AoE to great effect. Not only was she Eva tanking Sturm T for my team, but the mobs . . . just dropped. It was scary.

Edit:

Thief 72 skill is pretty fun. At level 73, it lowers Crit Rate and M-Crit Rate by 75, so it's probably better for gradual use on bosses for the effect. The cool part is that it's ranged, so halfkins get twice the fun and other races can have a ranged attack w/o switching to bow.