starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedFeb 13, 2013 6:30 am

Best trio of classes?

Well me and my friends have just started playing EE again after a while and currently we're aiming for Sage/Samurai/Warlock (With myself being the sage)

Just wondering if we should stick with this or change classes

We're currently level 17/18 and maxed on our class levels in cleric (myself), magician, and warrior/thief.

I always thought of cleric as being an inferior "base" healer class, but after reading some of the threads here it seems to be the best one. How, and why?

Same seems to be for magician and being the superior nuking class?

Advertisement

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedFeb 13, 2013 6:38 am
It's quite simple actually, the warlock has no aoes, illu is support and has the main weapon grimoire, though it has a knockdown aoe, and a sleep one, it's not as good for damage.

As for cleric, bard only heals through aoe buffs, shaman has weaker heals because it's part dps(main weapon is staff), and sage is horrible at healing since it uses a hammer and its skills for healing are really bad. It's like shaman but part physical dps instead of magic

starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedFeb 13, 2013 6:54 am
So effectively my mage friend and I should just stay as our base classes?

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedFeb 13, 2013 7:19 am
Its the same base assumption that a lot of people make when starting this game: One class is an upgrade of the ones before it.

But in the world of EE this is not true, each and every class is a class on its own and just needs another class to be played before you are able to unlock it.
Sure in every situation there can be a class more superior but mostly people specify themselves in one branch rather then a class, cause the equipment can be similar (armor/trophies/accessories)

Oh and just as a heads up, Sage is more of a physical dps then a healer. If you really want to be a healer i advice being cleric or shaman and for more aoe buffing bard is great (backup healer more). Sage has its uses but dont expect it to be able to heal a party, its purely a support class with p-dps.

Soalai

Rank 1
Soalai
PostedFeb 13, 2013 11:07 am
Like any "best class" threads, you're going to get different answers from different people, and I'll say that of course there are no perfect or superior options. Your current set-up for the three of you is unique and interesting, but not necessarily effective. And it's true that most people are more successful in picking a branch than just one class.

I guess my own vote would be cleric for the healer, definitely. Better as an M-CRIT cleric for later in the game. Shamans are also plausible, though again, not as good in trial dungeons. Definitely not sage, anyway. Most people use sage just to play around with, not as a main.

Your DPS could really go any way, but I'd say melee DPS are inferior to ranged or magic. They just get killed the fastest in battle and are then useless. I agree you probably want a mage or illusionist, they're just invaluable in hard dungeons. This would be the best person to specialize in more than one class, though.

Tanks are more versatile, I'd say you're almost good with any one, though supposedly there is a difference in malice generation between knight and warrior that you may want to consider. Also think about the race of your characters.

<br> <a>GuildLaunch userpage</a><br>

starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedFeb 14, 2013 4:37 am
Well I re-examined our options after reading replies from yesterday (thank you for those btw, much appreciated)

It seems my mage friend will be using Magician for general levelling and Warlock for boss fights. Should I also advise him to level Illusionist?

My other friend is adamant on Samurai, and I think it would be ok to leave him with that, since a requirement for it is a high Warrior level, and he can thus switch to Warrior if more tankability is needed.

As for myself, I'm going to take more of a healing/DPS split. I'm going to level Cleric (After reading more posts cleric seems to be The healer class) and I also plan to level Martial Artist (The Cesti just look too appealing, hehe) for general questing and killing where healer is not necessary. If we reach 70+ I also plan to roll out a Dragon Knight, so I can be a reasonable tank for the party at later levels (I believe Dragon Knight is an aoe-oriented semi-tank class?)

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedFeb 14, 2013 5:49 am
You will want an illu for in dungeons, cause illu gets an aoe mp-regen skill Smile

samurai can tank yeah, though holding aggro is sometimes bit harder cause you only gain aggro on attacks, and with a good mage that is mostly less then the mage does.

Even though dragon knight(DK) is on the tanking branch it isnt really a tank. At 70+ its pretty hard to keep aggro as a normal tank that has aggro gaining skills, DK on the other hand doenst have a class specific aggro skill making it even harder to keep aggro on it.
In theory you should be able to go tank/p-dps/m-dps but for that class but in real you wont see someone tanking a dungeon on a dragon knight.

Main classes are important to have, but you should lvl up all other classes as well. Be it for certificates or the class score (total score of lvled classes giving stat boost). There is enough time to do this though, cause at higher lvls the exp you need to lvl up is alot less then the cp you need so its easy to keep your main classes maxed and work on lower lvl classes.

starstrike45

Rank 1
starstrike45
PostedFeb 14, 2013 6:00 am
So since I originally wanted DK for tanking, I should instead just disregard it and work on MA/Cleric while my friends go for Magi/Illu/Lock and Samurai?

Of course, taking into consideration the need to generally level all classes..but at higher levels you can pretty much get 1 level per kill for class until you get relatively close to the monster level, right? o.o

criss8427

Rank 2
criss8427
PostedFeb 14, 2013 9:09 am
The "best class trios" differ in opinion though traditionally it would be Cleric, Tank (Knight), and Illu/another DPS.

Cleric obviously for healing the party as it is the best support class there is. A tank, knight preferably because it has better malice keeping capabilities + survival skills with EVA, Block, and in some cases resistances. As you encounter higher level dungeons tank can handle the massive damage dealt out by bosses and good for mobbing. Lastly an illu for mp purposes, dealing high damage to kill the boss faster, and to BP the boss with fire, lightning, and ice. The illu is subject to change with another DPS such as mage, ranger, or MA. Of course whatever dps you chose for this third role is up to you and dependent on the dungeon.

That is just the traditional 3-player class dynamic. Subject to change based on the circumstances of the dungeon, boss BP, and personal preferences. Some people with sturdy MA's can tank with it or with Samurai because they have high damage to keep aggro + their defense is bulky enough not to be one-shotted by a boss.

As for levelling, your class does not level up by 1 each kill until you get close to the monster level. Its just that the closer the level of the monster is to your character level, the more CP you will receive per monster. When you kill a monster you can attain x amount which will be a percent of how much cp you need to level up 1. If you hover over your cp bar, it will tell you how much CP you need to level up 1. Killing a monster just attains a percent of that cp needed to level.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedFeb 23, 2013 9:47 pm
Let's assume you and your friends will play more than one class since you must in order to obtain class certificates and class expertise to make your main classes more powerful.

The traditional trio set consists of a tank, a healer, and a damager, though multiple tanks, multiple damagers, or mutliple healers that double as dps also work. For example:

Healer: Cleric/Bard

Tank: Knight/Warrior

Damager: Mage/Illusionist

It also works to play more on the physical side and do:

Healer: Cleric/Bard

Tank: Warrior/Samurai

Damager: Martial Artist/Ranger

If you're set only on the basics, then Cleric, Knight, and Illusionist serve as one of the hardiest core players of the party. Cleric is the most versatile ad healing, Knight can be spec'd to do anything besides heal, and Illusionist is one of the best support AND one of the hardest hitting dps classes out there.