Taz

Aeria: Product Manager
Taz
PostedFeb 07, 2013 10:44 pm   Last edited by Taz on Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Producer Blog - February 8th, 2013

Update on current concerns and a peek at things to come
Like us on Facebook!

Thursday, February 8th, 2013 - Update on current concerns and a peek at things to come.  

Hey Knights,

I would like to thank all of you for any feedback and suggestions that you've sent to us. We have been taking these into consideration alongside analyzing a lot of game data. Please keep up the honest responses.

I will be going more in-depth on some of the topics we touched on in our last producer blog, as well as giving everyone some insight on the direction we're moving in to alleviate these problems. I will also be covering some exciting features and updates that are in the pipeline.

Let's do this,
-Taz

Current Game Concerns

!!! DISCLAIMER:
I am giving you a unique look in to what we are considering and requesting. This comes with the understanding that some things might change before being implemented, or some things may not be implemented.

Game Optimization (Low FPS)
As per several other posts we are certainly aware of this problem. Our previous patch brought minor improvements but it is still far from an ideal playing situation With your help we have been able to gather enough information to get this optimization started with our developers; we appreciate your unparalleled patience in dealing with this issue in-game.

We may need more information before this is resolved, but what we have received so far has let us really dig in to start finding the origin of the problem. Our developers are now working on a patch to increase game performance. This type of optimization requires a lot of work, so the present timeline for the patch is 2-3 months.

RvR Issues
This was and continues to be one of our largest concerns. Everyone on the DKO team has been watching the RvR situation closely and we recognize that in it's current state RvR is a very one-sided event. We are looking at several ways to alleviate these issues--I've briefly highlighted our ideas below.

The most common RvR issues players are experiencing and reporting:
  • Realm Balance
  • Bridge Camping
  • Low Attendance

Realm Balance - From all of the data we have analyzed and what we have seen at RvR, I'm hesitant to put much merit into Realm balance being a problem. I believe this is currently being majorly impacted by one thing: Low Attendance. We have considered some options to create more of a balance, yet until other issues are fixed we aren't at a stage where we can say for certain these balance issues are not a byproduct of the low FPS, which causes low attendance.

Bridge Camping - The DKO team has collectively put a lot of thought into this issue. In the majority of cases, camping usually means that there is a balance problem. To be frank, no matter how a PvP map is set up there will always be choke points that can be camped--so changing the layout won't resolve this problem. However, this is still a design flaw.

Currently we are looking at adding guards to the RvR bridges. As some of you know, we did a test run of this at RvR yesterday. From this test we saw the impact it had and, while it cannot be done with EXP loss, it can be a decent solution that doesn't require a lot of development time.

In most PvP games/situations when the two opposing sides meet they are both in a situation where they can all jump in and start fighting, should someone trigger that engagement. This is not the case at the bridges. A small group of players can run in to start that engage, but their entire team is not in a position to jump in and fight--they're outside of the PvP enabled area. Guards alleviate this situation because it allows players to enter the PvP area without being attacked immediately.

Low Attendance - One major cause of this is the low FPS. We understand. It is not a fun experience attending RvR with less than one frame per second. Getting this fixed, as mentioned above, is going to take some time. While awaiting this fix we are still looking at some other alternatives to increase RvR attendance.

One thing we are requesting is a teleportation notice that will pop up when RvR is about to start. This will have an option to be disabled if you don't want to participate. Additionally, we are looking at lowering the RvR time to thirty minutes and increasing the frequency to every three hours.

Opt-In PvP Incentive
This needs to be improved. It is very obvious that this avenue of PvP is underutilized. The community's largest complaint is the EXP loss on death through this method of PvP. On top of that, right now there is no reason to really have PvP on. To encourage an active PvP status we have added a buff that you receive when you have PvP toggled on, but we're not quite there yet. Our team will also will be requesting that an EXP buff be added while PvP is toggled on.

We are working on getting the EXP loss on death removed when participating in Opt-In PvP. Finally, we are considering rewarding DK points through open world PvP; this is something we could base a ranking system around. Furthermore we want to allow teamwork when your entire party has PvP toggled on.

Castle Siege
Just wanted to briefly touch on this since our ideas are far from finalized. We are looking at ways to allow participation in multiple castle sieges per week.  

A Peek at Things to Come

!!! DISCLAIMER:
This is a look at what is coming; most of this content is still being developed. This comes with the understanding that the timelines for this content are constantly fluctuating.

Upcoming PvP Content
I want to give everyone a quick idea of what is on it's way, starting of course with the new PvP content.
  • Realm versus Realm - Over the next few months we will be introducing three more RvR events
  • Guild versus Guild - We have some exciting Guild vs Guild content coming (not Castle Siege)
  • Improved Systems - We plan on continuing to improve the current systems to make them more enjoyable for everyone

Upcoming PvE Content
While this is a PvP focused game we still want to expand on what players can do outside of PvP. Over the next couple of months you'll be able to experience this new content.
  • Open Dungeon - We have an open dungeon on it's way, similar to Temple of the Gods
  • Instanced Dungeons - In total we have three in our current content plan, two of which are only a couple months out
  • New Areas - There are quite a few new areas upcoming, we can't give too much information here but you can expect screenshots

Game Improvements
In the next few months you will see us start building on and improving current game systems.
  • Crafting - We are looking to make this system more robust and interactive
  • Auction House - It is in development, sell your items while out enjoying the game
  • Skills - There are new skills coming, as well as further balance to current skills
  • Guilds - There will be more rewards for guild levels
  • New Race & Class - Yes, the long awaited Archer class is indeed coming

Valentine's Day
This week we have been testing content for Valentine's Day. You will be able to find more information about what'll be going on during this patch on the forums very soon.  

Advertisement

coduxs

Rank 5
coduxs
PostedFeb 08, 2013 4:28 pm
Me like +10

kaiserxxx

Rank 0
PostedFeb 08, 2013 4:36 pm
My god this batch of news is rather appetizing, can't wait *__*
Taz if I may ask, is the political system bieng worked on right now? I can't wait to hear some informations about it!

TreishaSempai

Rank 4
TreishaSempai
PostedFeb 08, 2013 4:37 pm
Archer + AH = I am happy. Bring in instance/queue pvp and political system and I'd explode from happiness overload. Make it happen!

MPure

Rank 1
MPure
PostedFeb 08, 2013 4:41 pm
Some good news here, glad to hear it.

Two words though, political system.

It is a huge missing factor to this game and a solution to much of this games pvp woes, depending on how you implement it of course..

Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedFeb 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Producer Blog - February 8th, 2013

Taz wrote:
Castle Siege
Just wanted to briefly touch on this since our ideas are far from finalized. We are looking at ways to allow participation in multiple castle sieges per week.  
I really hope you can at least apply some of my Siege suggestion, to allow EVERYONE in the server to partecipate at sieges, even if who's not signed can't take the castle (to give sieges a more tactically road) and allow clans that already own a castle to AT LEAST be able to partecipate but NOT take another castle.

4SuperSayin4

Rank 0
4SuperSayin4
PostedFeb 09, 2013 2:19 am
MPure wrote:
Some good news here, glad to hear it.

Two words though, political system.

It is a huge missing factor to this game and a solution to much of this games pvp woes, depending on how you implement it of course..  

coduxs wrote:
Me like +10  

Ditto ^.-

Rekikyo

Rank 5.1
Rekikyo
PostedFeb 09, 2013 3:22 am

Re: Producer Blog - February 8th, 2013

Taz wrote:

• Realm Balance
  • Bridge Camping
  • Low Attendance

One thing we are requesting is a teleportation notice that will pop up when RvR is about to start. This will have an option to be disabled if you don't want to participate. Additionally, we are looking at lowering the RvR time to thirty minutes and increasing the frequency to every three hours.[/color]

Game Improvements
In the next few months you will see us start building on and improving current game systems.
  • Crafting - We are looking to make this system more robust and interactive
  • Auction House - It is in development, sell your items while out enjoying the game
  • Skills - There are new skills coming, as well as further balance to current skills
  • Guilds - There will be more rewards for guild levels
  • New Race & Class - Yes, the long awaited Archer class is indeed coming

• Realm Balance
  • Bridge Camping
  • Low Attendance

Realm Balance: Agree (It just seems we have less than 30 hardcore pvpers in the entire game.... possibly because other pvpers became disappointed in the lack of pvp content).

Bridge Camping: This is me pushing my agenda of a global pvp system (some of the time): There would be no possible "bridge camping" If pvp were global; The game is huge mapwise, and very hard to camp; compared to Ruemon itself, which is a VERY small playground for "king of the hill." Global pvp would make it truly feel like king of the hill.

Low Attendance: Agreed.

@ Lowering RvR to 30 minutes but increasing the frequency: Increasing the frequency is a plausible goal, but lowing the time constraint I disagree with. What you are proposing will do:

-Create a bunch of time frames which are easier for leisure players to MISS (One hour gives alot of opportunity to join; cutting it in half will restrict those who come late! We want more participation; not less)

-Lessen the overall attendance satisfaction. Players are not complaining about time constraints because they are too long. They are complaining because they are bored due to low attendance. If the event was truly satisfactory, we would ENJOY hour long events.

-Interrupt regular gameplay, leading to even smaller attendance (Getting interrupted 8 times a day for a 30 minute event with very small benefits, isn't going to get most players feeling interested. The common reaction would probably be, to ignore the event even more).

Note: Increasing Frequency is fine, because it makes it more available for casual players.

Multiple Castle Sieges: Good! But, only allow a guild leader who has not claimed a castle, to claim the inner chamber.

More Crafting: Good, But don't get carried away, as a game that requires 100 different varieties of crafting with low chance of success odds, drives players away. Balance.

AH: AH is a double edged sword, and players will use it to increase the viability of botting, reselling, and player created monopolies which create artificial inflation. Shops are hard to monetize, hard to resell against, allow for the visual incrimination of botters, and hackers.

On the other hand, they allow players to have 24/7 shops, price competitvely, and have anonymity.

You need to ensure the first points (the negative ones) are accounted for (especially the fact that it can hide hackers and botter's goods in with real goods).

filipvarga

GameSage: DK Online
filipvarga
PostedFeb 09, 2013 4:17 am
Im glad so many things are being Developed, but unfortunately we can expect the first Patch in 2-3 Months. What are we supposed to do until the Patch? Quit the game and come back after?
At the moment there is not much worth playing for, just leveling to 42, farming gear/vouchers and farm gold to attempt enhancements/rune mounting.

Burned - [Website][Forum Topic]

callizer

Rank 0
callizer
PostedFeb 09, 2013 6:13 am
Some good news and brilliant ideas you have there.

Can I add something? A teleporter at Evene town please!