soapdx

Rank 0
soapdx
PostedFeb 06, 2013 10:02 am

that was useless

The "Review"
Hardly a review, I don't even know why they spent so much time on it during their show.

If I'm not interested in a game, I just pass it by, and ignore it. And if you want to mention it, sure go ahead, say, "Someone asked us to review Scarlet Blade, but it's not our thing, sorry, we're not going to review it, (insert quick view), please don't request any more reviews for it, now moving along." That's all they needed to do.

I like to watch a few reviewers, in the tone of their reviews I often agree with them, but I don't always do.

Yes and No's
I agree the game objectifies women, but I don't objectify women myself.
It's like shooters, I kill lots of people, I don't go around killing people or disrespecting them.
I am concerned it sexualizes children, and I'm happy they are censoring the class, if it bothers me to much, I'll just stop playing.
No I wouldn't let me kid play this game, but I know some games or for kids others not. I love Duke Nukem, but I sure won't let no kid play. And even if, did all us Duke Fans turn out ok.

Be Honest with yourself

I made this community, but at the same time I probably will post feminist videos on it because you need to be able to look at yourself in the mirror too. I don't get people who can find a women beautiful, but can't enjoy a 3D render of a beautiful women, it's a representation, sure it can be characterized, but as long as you don't start putting your standards to that level, if so your girlfriend will never be enough... You have to be honest with yourself, if you don't want to in public, then sure keep quiet, but don't go the otherway.

Entertainment to Unwind
To me it's like Junk Food of gaming, it's fun and enjoyable, you just need to know when it's to much. It's also entertainment, you don't Always watch movies because their realistic, you watch them because they're not, sometimes I enjoy a serious game, other times I want to play Saints Row.

I totally support reasonable feminist, nothing wrong with fighting against objectification in games, but don't forget it's just a game, the important part if what you do with your head.

We need escapism from all the ********* in our daily lives, so I prefer to have a safe environment to go slap people with Giant Purple *****'s, relax, laugh, and tell myself how crazy and dumb that was and keep on trucking.

I like Boobs
Yes I like boobs, that's what brought me here, but no if I meet you on the street I won't stare at them, or grab them or treat you like an object.

I swear I try to keep my post short.
Advertisement

arthasbg

Rank 0
arthasbg
PostedFeb 07, 2013 5:08 pm
Their "review" was pretty harsh .. they didnt even try out the game.. the game has much more than "just boobs' as they describe it

Cyndrus

Rank 0
Cyndrus
PostedFeb 07, 2013 6:57 pm
I've watched one of their videos before and immediately figured out that they're obnoxious douchebags and I have no interest in anything that drops out of their mouths. It was the one where they played an interview they did with David Brevik about Marvel Heroes and as soon as it ended they immediately started calling him a one-trick pony and bashing him and the game. I knew what the Scarlet Blade episode would be about the second I saw it on their site and just rolled my eyes and moved along.

Chad16

Rank 0
Chad16
PostedFeb 07, 2013 9:00 pm
There is nothing professional about MMOBOMB. Never was. So this doesn't really come as a surprise.

fallguysoldier

Rank 0
fallguysoldier
PostedFeb 08, 2013 2:54 pm
I just watched the video. MMOBomb clearly focused on the whole sexuality aspect of Scarlet Blade, and while they may be right in the sense that it does nothing to add to the overall gameplay, they really should just get over it. There are tons of games out there that objectify women in the same manner, and yet all the while there are female gamers out there who don't mind at all, much less care. Scarlet Blade's community is proof enough.

Personally, if I had to complain about something, it would have to be about how "outdated" Scarlet Blade is in general. The visuals appear lackluster (though some people say that later areas have better graphics, but that's just odd and wrong at the same time... I mean why only the high level areas?). Secondly, the gameplay is nothing new: same old tab-target or point-and-click. Not even gamepad support. Last but not least, your quests are your typical fetch and receive. I can go on and on about how "outdated" this game is, and yet that's really all I would have to complain about in regards to this game.

As for its sexual appeal... Hard YEAH! I've been waiting for a game (an MMORPG even) that really honed in on this because you clearly see this is what other game developers have been wanting, but were just shy about it. Instead, LivePLEX took a risk and seem very unapologetic about it, which is fine. *** appeal does indeed sell and I know players of all (legal and appropriate) ages will play this if only for that very reason. So long story short, the whole sexual aspect of this game would NOT be the reason as to why I would complain or not play this game at all.

Lol it's funny that MMOBomb wants to come off as if they're just pure gamers and whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the commentators would play Scarlet Blade on their own personal computers when not "working" lol...

EDIT: Oh yeah, MMOBomb keeps harping on "AeriaGames"... do they not realize that AeriaGames is just a Western publisher? If they really need to blame someone, they should look at LivePLEX, the actual developers. Tsk tsk tsk...

lingu023

Rank 2
lingu023
PostedFeb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Re: that was useless

soapdx wrote:
I am concerned it sexualizes children, and I'm happy they are censoring the class, if it bothers me to much, I'll just stop playing.  

Know what bothers me the most?

People who are inconsistent. Like people who think sexualizing children is wrong, but they never complain about said children being sent out to combat aliens and die trying. Or they want to claim "Age is important, you must be 18 to give consent" and then they go around and state "It doesn't matter if she is 20, she looks 13!". Or why not "I'm not objectifying real women, this is just a game" to then go "But sexualizing non-real girls is wrong!".

I completely accept that you may have any opinion you want. It is just that unless you start to care for the whole package, you'll look like a hypocrite. Personally I'll always be most offended by killing children in games, and just see them dressing sexy as harmless in comparison.

Hadas1

Rank 0
Hadas1
PostedFeb 09, 2013 3:33 am
They obviously didn't even tried a game. To be honest, at first i though the same, it will be just about looks (sexy girls with big boobs). But after trying this game i realized it is much more than that! World is beautiful, pvp is great, battle grounds are great, raiding is great, instances are very fun too! So bassicly SB have it all i wanted, sexy + very fun gameplay. So considering it was just alpha verion, game have really great potential, and i cant wait to see more! Smile

Also i want to add. Last mmorpg i played was Aion, and i quit it like 2 years ago. In that period i didnt played any mmorpg seriously, usually tested for few days or at best weeks, then get bored and quit. But first impressions from Scarlet Blade gave me new hopes, that it will be another game that will hook me up for a long time, like Lineage 2 did back in time. I played Lineage 2 for 3 years, and Aion for one year.

jdbecker619

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
jdbecker619
PostedFeb 09, 2013 3:46 am
Everyone will have opinions but Scarlet Blade is something i have been looking for a long time. I would pay out more for this game than the other mmo's so i just want aeria to keep true to its source material. I am not looking for a world changing mmo, just a pretty game to have fun and run with people.

soapdx

Rank 0
soapdx
PostedFeb 09, 2013 8:01 am

well...

Nah I'm against violence against children also. And like I said it's a concern, I'm not loosing it or anything. And I might be a hypocrite, but I don't think so. But all that is for another topic in itself.

I'm curious if MMOBOMB will give the game another look when it comes out, or did they say anything about this forum's reaction on their site. It's one thing saying stuff here, it's another if they say it in their video or their site.

tifavalentine2

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
tifavalentine2
PostedFeb 09, 2013 10:16 am
Gotta love how this game is seen as objectifying women and people make such a big deal about it, even tho it IS rated for mature audience... yet raping, slapping or mistreating "prostitutes" in certain games and uploading vids about it (you know which) is "funny" and a cool thing to do.
Quite the hypocrisy around I'd say.

They're entitled to their opinion, yes. But it's not just a person talking to their friends about a game; it's a game reviews site. People usually go there hoping to take a quick look at a coming game they dont know yet, and see if they may like it or not. Basing your first review on obviously incomplete or not solid material (let's face it, trailers only are never really a good indicator about if a game is good or not. I rather watch actual gameplay from a normal player), basing it solely on that is NOT a good idea. Either you wait until you have some way to access its alpha/beta/etc or you do some more research about the game, before doing such review. Better wait a bit more,than give a poor quality review that may scare away players who got a wrong impression about the game and could have enjoyed it otherwise. And please... be a bit more proffessional in the way you express in such reviews, mmobomb. I appreciate you coming here and explaining your reasons and all, tho (I did read the whole thread).

As for my own experience (I was one of the lucky ones to enjoy the alpha), I have to admit this game will surprise more than one. I am a 25 y/o straight woman, and I've never been attracted to oversexualized games or movies, in fact I dislike it. I even find myself uncomfortable with movies (be it real or animation) where sex seems to the be one of the main themes, even if there's a good story. However, I decided to give this game a try, despite having the impression that it was yet another "boobs sell" game, mainly as an inside joke with some friends of mine, and to try something different. Heck, whithout actually knowing, I picked the most scantily-clad class there is, Whipper. It shocked me to see the game is quite different from what I first thought. The gameplay is really good (sure, nothing omg new to the genre but err... it wasn't that what made me it play it in the first place), the graphics are very very nicely done, heck I loved the dungeons design, and despite having some first bad experiences with its pvp plus me not being exactly a fan of pvp, later I found out I can still enjoy it (as always, it also depends on the community behaviour and not just the game). This to name just a few features that made me enjoy this game, even on its alpha stage. All in all, whether you came here for the "boobs" and sexual theme, or whatever other reason, you may find yourself enjoying more than just that. It's a game you need to try to actually see for yourself, to know how it is. I honestly encourage people to try and sign up for the beta testing, at least to form their own opinion and not let others blind you. If you still don't like it, you don't have to keep playing it, quite simple eh?