Sangvin

Rank 0
Sangvin
PostedJan 26, 2013 3:21 pm

[Guide] Running the game in Linux

How to run the game with wine in linux
Quoting myself from the entry i posted on WineHQ.org that is currently still in queue (will update with the link after it has been approved)
Edit: here's the link on WineHQ http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=14898

Most of the things work like expected but the game will run much slower than on windows.
The game engine is very poorly optimized and it runs slow even on windows but with wine the framerate is terrible even with lowest settings (i get around 20FPS).

Problems

• The game crashes randomly at times.
  • I did notice some graphical artifacts, ocasionally some polygons will be diplayed incorectly when rotating the camera around also in the distance objects will flicker a little and the sky texture will get black for a few seconds.

How to get it running under wine

• first install wine and winetricks (sudo apt-get install wine winetricks)
  • create a new text file name it dk.reg and copy/paste the text below (make sure to change Z:\\Path\\To\\DKOnline to the actual path where DKOnline is installed, run wine explorer move to where the game is installed and copy the path)

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AeriaGames\DKOnline]
"RunFileName"="DKOnline.exe"
"Version"="7.0.0.23"
"DestDir"="Z:\\Path\\To\\DKOnline"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AeriaGames\DKOnline\7.0.0.23]
@=""

Ok the game should run fine now, if you get a "Game data failed to load" message please check here on how to configure wine to work with windows ODBC drivers. If the game displays a message complaining that windows is updating just move it out of the way and ignore it.

Conclusion

Current version of the game doesn't have any kind of protection like HackShield or XTrap also the main executables aren't encrypted(the launcher was packed with themida in closed beta), this is most likely the reason why it works with wine right now.
Edit: DKonline.exe got packed with Themida but it still works with wine

Some screenshots

Advertisement

Sangvin

Rank 0
Sangvin
PostedFeb 04, 2013 12:55 pm
Updated with link to the entry on WineHQ site, and modified the registry script with value for new client. Despite the updated client the game still runs on linux but just as slow as before.

Unfortunately, my linux machine has a really old graphic card so the game runs extremly slow, maybe with a better card the game will run faster, who knows.

lk.firefox

Rank 0
PostedFeb 24, 2013 6:22 am

Running on Linux x64?

There must be something different in architecture, so I'd like to ask if someone know how to set up wine for x64 architecture.

I used your guide, but i couldn't install IE, so for neither anything else and if tried install manually IE-x64 from Microsoft site, it didnt work...
If someone has any experience with this, please, post here how to fix it.

Thanks a lot for answearing.

Sangvin

Rank 0
Sangvin
PostedFeb 24, 2013 12:04 pm
Oh, sorry about that i didn't knew ie8 doesn't install on x64 linux! Crying or Very sad

Try this maybe it will help http://askubuntu.com/questions/136714/how-to-force-wine-into-acting-like-32-bit-windows-on-64-bit-ubuntu, post some screenshots if it works Very Happy . Good luck!

lk.firefox

Rank 0
PostedFeb 26, 2013 8:16 am

Linux with x64 arch

So, I did everything what was need.
1) install wine and winetricks
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine winetricks

2) set wine from x64 to x86
Code:
export WINEARCH=win32

(but only if you havent installed anything on wine... it means, that in home folder musn't exist .wine directory - if it exists than type
Code:
rm -r ~/.wine
)
3) folow the steps from Sangvin's guide

I couldn't play the game, but its launcher and pathing worked. Than I got "Game can't load files" (or something like that).

So, thank you Sangvin for help Smile
And good luck for the others Smile

firelmnt