Giovanna_X

GameSage: DK Online
Giovanna_X
PostedJan 25, 2013 12:42 pm   Last edited by Giovanna_X on Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Dione and Eos

Eos and Dione
"Eos" is not an acronym in the case of the faction names (therefore, "EoS" makes no sense); "Eos" and "Dione" are Greek theonyms.

In the case of Dione (Διώνη -- a three syllable word accented on the penult, or second-from-last syllable -- dee O nay), the name refers to an ancient Earth Goddess, perhaps equivalent to Gaia, who was, among other things, the Mother of Aphrodite (see Homer's Iliad), and likely a Queen of the Gods before Hera. Her name means simply "Goddess" (it is in fact the feminine form of the theonym "Zeus," which means "God").

Eos (´Éως -- a two syllable word accented on the penult, or second-from-last syllable -- EH ose -- where the second syllable does not rhyme with "pose" or the verb "close," but rather, with the adjective "close"), however, is the name of the Goddess of Dawn, also a primeval divinity, considered to be not Olympian, but Titan. There is a beautiful poetic image used consistently in both poetry and prose about her, but I'll refrain from posting it here, as it would be likely to be twisted into something inappropriate.

Advertisement

DigweedT

Rank 0
On a boat somewhere in the sea.. Bulgaria
PostedJan 25, 2013 12:59 pm
I fail to see the point of this.

LalaHeat

Rank 1
LalaHeat
PostedJan 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: Dione and Eos

Eos and Dione
Giovanna_X wrote:
"Eos" is not an acronym in the case of the faction names (therefore, "EoS" makes no sense); "Eos" and "Dione" are Greek theonyms.

In the case of Dione (Διώνη -- a three syllable word accented on the penult, or second-from-last syllable -- dee O nay), the name refers to an ancient Earth Goddess, perhaps equivalent to Gaia, who was, among other things, the Mother of Aphrodite (see Homer's Iliad, and likely a Queen of the Gods before Hera. Her name means simply "Goddess" (it is in fact the feminine form of the theonym "Zeus," which means "God").

Eos (´Éως -- a two syllable word accented on the penult, or second-from-last syllable -- EH ose -- where the second syllable does not rhyme with "pose" or the verb "close," but rather, with the adjective "close"), however, is the name of the Goddess of Dawn, also a primeval divinity, considered to be not Olympian, but Titan. There is a beautiful poetic image used consistently in both poetry and prose about her, but I'll refrain from posting it here, as it would be likely to be twisted into something inappropriate.  

I'm in love! <3 Smile Sorry, I dont get to meet many people that know greek mythology so well!

Giovanna_X

Giovanna_X
PostedJan 25, 2013 2:30 pm
DigweedT wrote:

The point is twofold: first, to inform, and second, to try to get people to stop saying "EoS" as if it were an abbreviation for something. It's not an abbreviation; it's a name.

coduxs

Rank 5
coduxs
PostedJan 25, 2013 2:40 pm
DigweedT wrote:

People keep saying EOS/EoS/eoS. Gio is just saying that its Eos

Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedJan 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Dione and Eos

Eos and Dione
Giovanna_X wrote:
There is a beautiful poetic image used consistently in both poetry and prose about her, but I'll refrain from posting it here, as it would be likely to be twisted into something inappropriate.  
can i know nore about it by pm please? Im curious! please please please prety please lol

ps: dammit write by mobilephone is pretty hurting an hard lol!

BryanFury - Leader |Site|Forum|

M4lightning

Rank 0
M4lightning
PostedJan 25, 2013 3:18 pm
Instead of teaching how to type their faction, teach them how to DEFEND their faction (rvr)

filipvarga

filipvarga
PostedJan 25, 2013 3:21 pm
M4lightning wrote:
Instead of teaching how to type their faction, teach them how to DEFEND their faction (rvr)  

+1

I'll start calling Dione "DiOnE" just to annoy people, because the way you pronounce a wOrD doesnt make a change to its meaning.

Giovanna_X

Giovanna_X
PostedJan 25, 2013 3:37 pm
M4lightning wrote:

I can't force them to come to RvR. Surely their Camp chat channel could be used for the purpose of encouraging RvR participation.

[edit]However, perhaps the information I have provided above about the source of each faction's name might help instill some pride in their choice of faction, and thus encourage them to participate. Just a thought.[/edit]

~ [GS]Giovanna,
Guild Mistress,
VampiriDiDione

M4lightning

Rank 0
M4lightning
PostedJan 25, 2013 4:08 pm
Giovanna_X wrote:
M4lightning wrote:

I can't force them to come to RvR. Surely their Camp chat channel could be used for the purpose of encouraging RvR participation.

[edit]However, perhaps the information I have provided above about the source of each faction's name might help instill some pride in their choice of faction, and thus encourage them to participate. Just a thought.[/edit]

~ [GS]Giovanna,
Guild Mistress,
VampiriDiDione

Well you got a point here, maybe if they know what their faction means, they can try to participate