prince1999

Rank 1
prince1999
PostedJan 10, 2013 10:08 pm   Last edited by prince1999 on Jan 12, 2013 11:56 pm. Edited 15 times in total

Do the right thing

Scamming signature artists is bad.
You know, it's funny. I never got around to making my own thread here in the Fan Art section when I was active. (And yeah I was planning to lol) But I'm making this thread now for an entirely other reason: Scamming. Not just for signature artists, not just for a game ... acting like a horrible person in life. Period. It just happens to be illustrated in the form of scamming signature artists in this case.

This thread was started to show how a particular signature contest went wrong. I didn't need or want the advertised prize, but I also decided I wasn't going to allow the individual to skip away after having behaved poorly in private. I wrote a post for his General Discussion contest thread (after giving lots of warnings) detailing the timeline of events for all to see, and then linked to it in this thread in the Fan Arts section. He was given two options: Honor the contest and the post is edited to reflect a proper ending to the contest, or continue being bad and the post remains in place. That's what this thread USE TO contain.

This was never about filing a ticket to report a scam. This was about an individual feeling REAL repercussions for bad decisions. He felt it. He changed his decision. I can only hope the lesson was genuinely learned, not just pacified to make it go away. In order for it to really stick, I have decided to keep a link to his contest in this post. here. That is his lasting penalty; he is being used as an example for posterity. Please know this user CORRECTED his behavior in an honorable way and should be respected for that. This is in NO WAY meant to harm his reputation. In fact, if anything, this is an example of how he made the right choice and did the right thing. It also shows the person seeking justice (me in this case) has a moral obligation to continue to show respect, keep promises, and MOST IMPORTANTLY recognize when there has been a change of heart for the better. There needs to be respect and honor on BOTH sides. Just because you've been wronged, doesn't give you the right to disregard moral obligations either.

In closing, I will re-iterate the main point of this thread by copy/pasting one of the posts into this OP.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TRUTH, honor, nice, genuine, selfless, gratious, RESPECT, patient, tolerant, sympathy, courteous, remorseful, being kind, helpful, apologetic when appropriate, unobtrusive, being humble, compassion, forgiveness, willing to sacrifice yourself for what's right, helping to rid the world of bad stuff, bringing joy to as many random people as possible because it's fun
....... the list goes on & on ........

These are things which I hold dear.

These are also very powerful tools in life.

In the linked post I very simply posted the truth. I allowed myself only ONE personal dig at him. (I feel I earned that much.) But you'll notice the entire rest of the post was simply detailing the timeline of events. THE TRUTH.

If you conduct yourself in an honorable manner, there is never a reason to hide, worry, or lie. No, maintaining self control is NOT easy at times. It can feel like a difficult and unrewarded path. But the overall inner peace you feel about yourself is the reward. It's there for you whenever you need to address a bad situation in life.

Getting ahead or being "successful" by cheating, lying, being sneaky, taking without permission, abusing, disregarding, double-talking, being mean, backtracking, manipulating, backstabbing, etc. is BY FAR more difficult and with MUCH higher risks. I'm not gonna run off and site examples, but I imagine most of the world's most famous and successful human beings (and businesses) were known to be honorable. The one's that weren't? Well, they're pretty much known to be horrible people, aren't they? Gosh, where do I sign up? NOT.

As for this particular individual:
All I had to do was speak the truth. I don't need to call him names (except the one lol ) and I don't need to engage in bickering back and forth. All I have to do is speak the truth and that will be plenty hurtful to him enough on it's own. (That's why, when you have to tell a friend the truth, it's best to make it as easy to hear as possible. It can hurt deeply.) Truth does most of the hard work for me in a "battle." He doesn't HAVE that weapon. People who aren't honest cannot use truth as a weapon effectively.

Being an honest and good person has nothing to do with being a "Goody-Goody." It's simply a more effective way of life. It's how we should be. (Most humans feel that deep down inside - it's why it was given a name = "Conscience.") Things WORK BETTER when you follow the path of least resistance, the way we were designed to function.

If standing up and speaking out about this one (silly little) situation on a game forum can help EVEN ONE person out there finally "get it" and a little drawing of a lightbulb appears above their head about that, then it was worth it.

It should be noted this entire thread can be applied to just about any situation in life, not just scamming signature artists. That's the whole point.

This message is for ANYONE who receives it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please note in the context of this thread, that post was written BEFORE I knew what his reaction would be.

honesty + nothing to hide = confidence.

The issue was fully resolved (with no arguing) 5 hours, 17 minutes after posting the truth.

(That includes him logging in for the day, finding the message, contacting me to arrange a meeting, me running to Apulune as fast as I could lol, a couple follow-up PMs, and me returning here to post an update.)
The Truth sure is a powerful thing. ^^

<3 & Respect,
~prince1999

TL;DR

Scamming is bad (and you never know when someone might actually call you out on it.)
Advertisement

prince1999

Rank 1
prince1999
PostedJan 10, 2013 10:23 pm
reserved

Xtcmax

Rank 0
Xtcmax
PostedJan 10, 2013 11:05 pm   Last edited by Xtcmax on Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total
[waiting]

prince1999

Rank 1
prince1999
PostedJan 10, 2013 11:10 pm
Xtcmax Smile

I will bump this thread once a link is added to the OP.

NyokoSilent

Rank 3
NyokoSilent
PostedJan 11, 2013 8:06 pm
I am so confused. What's going on in this thread?

Xtcmax

Rank 0
Xtcmax
PostedJan 11, 2013 8:57 pm
some dude is taking a stand, what kind or what what, who knows. We are waiting for some kind of link to appear. I was confused also, still am...it might be a post from kids, who do drugs or something.

prince1999

Rank 1
prince1999
PostedJan 11, 2013 9:10 pm
Link will be added in approx one hour, it will be more clear then, I promise.

Xtcmax

Rank 0
Xtcmax
PostedJan 11, 2013 9:14 pm
i hope its worth the wait.

prince1999

Rank 1
prince1999
PostedJan 11, 2013 9:39 pm
Me too.

... me too.

cruzer11