Kalashnikovaa

Rank 4
Kalashnikovaa
PostedJan 03, 2013 12:28 pm
If your idle temp for a dual core processor is 70C then it's definitely because it's over heating. That is ridiculously high for that kind of CPU idling.

The reason why your laptop didn't shut down during Aion despite the high temps is because not every game is coded the same. Meaning, Grand Fantasia might pull more of your laptops resources to run the game (despite it being a really low graphic quality game) then Aion, which is probably coded a lot better.

You should ask your uncle to check/replace your CPUs thermal paste and make sure all of your fans are working. Then, once that's done usually laptops have fan settings. Check those out. Also, cooling pad. Get one. Laptops get very hot very fast, for the sake of your laptops life it would probably be in your best interest to get one.

Advertisement

whoeverxwins

Rank 2
whoeverxwins
PostedJan 03, 2013 1:22 pm
I can't imagine running my laptop without a cooling pad. My last laptop would do just what yours is doing. Play for awhile, then shut down. Just bam, black screen/shut off. I figured a temp fix by raising it off the table a bit and blowing a fan at it til I got to the store for a cooling pad. I got one with two fans; it seemed to work really well. Whoever designed laptops with the cooling vents on the BOTTOM was an idiot. -_-' My new laptop runs a lot cooler than the last one. I don't need the fan on for web browsing. On cold days I often don't need it for playing even. But I generally plug the fan in whenever I'm gaming, just to help it out.

omjesus

Rank 0
PostedJan 03, 2013 8:51 pm
Replaced the thermal paste and bought a cooling fan.
Idle Temp is now:
CPU-49C
Motherboard-41C
Graphics-43C
HD-34C

With GF Running:
CPU-57C
Motherboard-48C
Graphics-52C
HD-32C(lol it went down)

Crashed again nonetheless.
:/

sIink

GameSage: Aura Kingdom
sIink
PostedJan 03, 2013 9:24 pm
omjesus wrote:
Replaced the thermal paste and bought a cooling fan.
Idle Temp is now:
CPU-49C
Motherboard-41C
Graphics-43C
HD-34C

With GF Running:
CPU-57C
Motherboard-48C
Graphics-52C
HD-32C(lol it went down)

Crashed again nonetheless.
:/  

Have you tried changing your Power Options "Processor Power Management" to 99 instead of 100? This can prevent "Throttling," whch also can make your laptop run very hot. (Google it for your laptop.) In Windows 7, you can find this in Control Panel --> Hardware & Sound --> Power Options --> Change Advanced Power Settings --> Processor power management (and then change Maximum Processor State to 99 instead of 100.) While this does affect performance, it can also prevent overheating/crashing. Probably a good idea to ask your Uncle about it first.

omjesus

Rank 0
PostedJan 16, 2013 6:24 am
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
I'm not sure what is wrong anymore...I've done everything possible and it still continues to crash.
Changed the hard drive for a new one to see if that would help at all but it didn't. Updated the drivers for my gfx card but nothing changed.
Help please! x_x

wolsylad

Rank 0
wolsylad
PostedJan 24, 2013 4:52 pm
Righto, do you have problems with any other software? All I'm thinking from this is that it could potentially be driver issues elsewhere on your system than with the GFX card. Use a freeware program called "SlimDrivers" to scan your PC for any outdated drivers that may be causing issues. Apart from this, the only thing I can recommend is the process of elimination- Check your BIOS settings for any unusual changes, and try changing the RAM card(s). Please get back to me with this one, sounds worrying.

loki403

Rank 0
PostedMay 07, 2013 4:30 pm
omjesus wrote:
Kalashnikovaa wrote:
Laptop eh.

Monitor your temps, see if there is any spike while doing things. If you are unsure of any temperature monitoring programs I suggest "Speccy". Get a solid average read of when your computer is idle, then start up GF and heavily monitor your temperature. Not just alt tab every few seconds, stare at it until your system shuts down. You're looking for spikes in your temp and any sort of high temp before crash.

It sounds like one of three things.
A: Your CPU or GPU is overheating to the point where your laptop is auto-shutting itself off to prevent hardware damage. These things can be pretty easy to fix. Adding a fan near the outside of your laptop is not a fix.

B: Your computers power box/connector is wonky. I'm not really leaning towards this.

C: Your hard drive is shot. This would probably cause more problems then just shutting off because I've had this problem personally with a laptop of mine. You would be getting a orange~ish blinking light hard drive light on 90% of your start ups, your computer won't start, etc etc. But, just putting it out there.

If anything you should get your computer checked out by a tech if you're not really good with tearing apart your computer and checking things like your thermal paste, if everything is seated fine, if there is a lose wire etc. because you'll take the chance of voiding your warranty on parts which won't be worth it if you have no idea what you're doing.

But definitely try to get a temp reading before your computer shuts down while GF is up on both your CPU and GPU. If you're unsure about "safe" temps or if the temp it's reading is too high, just post your idle temp and then the spiked temp you had before it shut down here.  

Warranty expired in November.Also idle temp for CPU is 70C GPU is 54C.CPU jumps to 75C while CPU to 65C before crashing.Ran Aion on high settings to see what would happen.Computer was basically burning up and it never shut down.My uncle(who is a certified computer tech) took it apart and said everything was fine.Only thing that was wrong was it had some dust which he cleaned out.We did re-install windows 7 and start on a clean slate to see if it might have been an OS issue.Still crashed while running GF.Updated graphics drivers and installed direct x before running GF.
!!!EDIT!!!-Ran GF and decided to stick only to the character selection screen.Hasn't crashed ONCE.  

Mine is doing the same thing! Exactly the same thing and my laptop is in perfect working order. Let me know if you find a fix!

wolsylad

Rank 0
wolsylad
PostedMay 08, 2013 6:04 am

PSU overheating

issue found, but no true fix
I'm afraid to say after looking over everything, the model of laptop you are using has a distinct tendency to overheat. Considering this, it will not be going into thermal shutdown, but actually stopping the connection to your battery or power source overall. This notebook does not have enough ventilation to allow such games as GF, EE, or similar to run on it. I'm sorry to say this, but if you wish to play GF you might want to get yourself a new machine to play it on. I wish I could be more help, but this is an internal build issue- not something we can realistically fix with our suggestions.

Regards,
Wolsylad

walmazi

Rank 4
walmazi
PostedMay 08, 2013 7:10 am

Re: PSU overheating

issue found, but no true fix
wolsylad wrote:
I'm afraid to say after looking over everything, the model of laptop you are using has a distinct tendency to overheat. Considering this, it will not be going into thermal shutdown, but actually stopping the connection to your battery or power source overall. This notebook does not have enough ventilation to allow such games as GF, EE, or similar to run on it. I'm sorry to say this, but if you wish to play GF you might want to get yourself a new machine to play it on. I wish I could be more help, but this is an internal build issue- not something we can realistically fix with our suggestions.

Regards,
Wolsylad  

HP decided the best place for fans is at the bottom of the computer...
Shame really... you have such nice computer specs compared to mine.

Anyways a guy here recommends capping processor speed to 75 percent, getting a cooling pad and you get 1/2 an hour of game-play (Diablo III has similar requirements to GF).

Also perhaps consider getting any other computer, the computer I am currently using Acer Aspire 5315 is pretty much something you can find on the streets now! However if you can get your hands on one and maybe invest $50 in old ram parts you can play GF really well.
I use a 2.1Ghz Celeron processor (yes it's 2013 and I still use a single core processor) , with 2Gb DDR2 ram (& everything else inbuilt) and can play without having to worry about heating issues ON medium graphics!

Because honestly you don't want to game and have to look at the wondering if you reached your 1/2 hour mark lol

Good luck and best wishes Smile