cragsleeper

Rank 0
PostedDec 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Upgrading DEF - does it make you a liability?

First I'll mention I really like the GvG in this game and enjoyed our first one even if we did get spanked. What concerns me, however, is that I may have been at fault. I have spent a considerable amount of time and yes, even money upgrading my defense so that it currently rates among the best. This should be a good thing, right? Well, in our GvG brawls we noticed our opponents gaining much more BP than us even though they were doing far fewer actual brawls. I got ganged up on and they beat me up 52 times. One of them was generous enough to share afterwards that they were getting around 1200(!) BP per brawl against me. No wonder I took that beating! I ended up ranked second in BP, even though I had 61 wins VS the first ranked person's 28.

I suppose it would be fair if I got the same amount of BP for beating them, but I averaged half that number even though they were higher level than me and usually higher ranked, and yes I made sure I'm not in the winning nation. Clearly I'm missing something here about how brawls work so please enlighten me.

However, the issue still remains that if opponents strike it rich by making me their whipping boy, I've done nothing more than become a liability and seriously hurt my guild's chances of winning future GvG brawls. Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?
Advertisement

Mia.Skye

Rank 0
Mia.Skye
PostedDec 29, 2012 10:36 pm   Last edited by Mia.Skye on Dec 29, 2012 11:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total
The player you reference has a higher level as well as a better win:loss ratio, but certainly less total DEF, so I'm inclined to agree that you that DEF could be boosting the BP bounty.

edit: reread your post confirming that you were not in the winning nation Razz

Mia.Skye

Rank 0
Mia.Skye
PostedDec 29, 2012 10:51 pm
Excuse the double post, but I forgot to ask how you approached your brawls. If you went for 3-2 victories instead of 5-0 victories, that could explain the disparity.

Also, I examined the DEF of the player that I brawled during the GvG. He had similar stats to the player you were targetting, except a much lower defense. However, I still averaged ~900 points per brawl with 5-0 victories.

swim_a_holic

Rank 0
swim_a_holic
PostedDec 29, 2012 11:10 pm
If you are S.S Zelbess, then you are actually 7 levels above me which is why I gained so many brawl points from you. Also, I usually defeated you 4-1 or 5-0 which gave me even more. And you get a bonus amount of brawl points just from attacking someone from the guild event. Hope that helps.

cragsleeper

Rank 0
PostedDec 30, 2012 12:22 am
swim_a_holic wrote:
If you are S.S Zelbess, then you are actually 7 levels above me which is why I gained so many brawl points from you. Also, I usually defeated you 4-1 or 5-0 which gave me even more. And you get a bonus amount of brawl points just from attacking someone from the guild event. Hope that helps.  

Actually it does. Got 1356BP for brawling top ranked at the time, 4-1 victory but cost me 145 so not very efficient. Still, helps answer what I've been doing wrong. I always went for 3 wins in the past to save on cost but it looks like efficiently going for 5 in each brawl is the way to go.

I do wonder why changing my defense to all pixies reportedly didn't make a difference in the BP opponents earned. I would think that this would force them to use weaker cards to beat me, or they would overspend on big cards - either case resulting in lower BP unless it automatically rewarded using high level cards no matter what they were beating, but from my testing it doesn't seem to do that.

Perhaps it strictly counts just # of wins and then adds the relevant bonuses to determine final BP since if it rewarded "quality" of wins my all-pixie team would be weak on rewards.

cragsleeper

Rank 0
PostedDec 30, 2012 12:27 am
As a side note, congrats on your victories but I don't think there's a reward for overkill. Not to mention the $$ that has to be costing. I'm hoping we get paired with another guild next time so we can have a crack at the rewards - you guys are unstoppable right now!

bakachanx

Rank 0
bakachanx
PostedJan 01, 2013 11:18 pm
I don't understand how it works either. Somebody just got 800+ from me, and I wasn't 1st in points. He was also 7 levels higher than me and he won 3-2. My DEF is fairly high.

When I fought the person on the top of the points, I got 400 points, 3-2, and he was 4 levels higher than me. His DEF was really low.

The way these are figured out, confuses me.

Fiberion

Rank 0
PostedJan 02, 2013 6:43 am
In terms of brawl points gain (base on bonus amt)

1) atk vs def points: rule of the thumb, a lower atk managing a win against a higher def generally nets much more. Hence why i have a sucky win ratio even before gvg was out. I generally atk those bigger def even if i stand to lose. However this is also limited by the 2nd point
2) level: can't be too much above the target. Ideally if the target is higher lvl. If attacking a significantly lower level with high def, u still get your points nerfed at a rate not known to me yet since i hardly do that
3) amount of win: tested And found to be fairly accurate. A 5/5 win generally nets me more than a 3/5 win. Roughly a difference of 100-250 points
4) overkill: yea this is gonna sound controversial but yes having a big win does affect the bonus points gain. This is currently being observed by me using the gvg. Whenever more my cards achieve a big win, i tend to get more points. However this could be also attributed to an unknown randomness. And also, achieving this requires proper usage of the card skills. It really isn't exactly easy to pull off expecially against a rock hard def (high base def and coverfire)

The above are just observations through brawling, i DID NOT do a proper research or testing for it. These theories seemed to work well enough to help me achieve better brawl gain

Posted By Aeria Mobile

cragsleeper

Rank 0
PostedJan 04, 2013 10:08 pm
Fiberion wrote:
In terms of brawl points gain (base on bonus amt)

1) atk vs def points: rule of the thumb, a lower atk managing a win against a higher def generally nets much more. Hence why i have a sucky win ratio even before gvg was out. I generally atk those bigger def even if i stand to lose. However this is also limited by the 2nd point
2) level: can't be too much above the target. Ideally if the target is higher lvl. If attacking a significantly lower level with high def, u still get your points nerfed at a rate not known to me yet since i hardly do that
3) amount of win: tested And found to be fairly accurate. A 5/5 win generally nets me more than a 3/5 win. Roughly a difference of 100-250 points
4) overkill: yea this is gonna sound controversial but yes having a big win does affect the bonus points gain. This is currently being observed by me using the gvg. Whenever more my cards achieve a big win, i tend to get more points. However this could be also attributed to an unknown randomness. And also, achieving this requires proper usage of the card skills. It really isn't exactly easy to pull off expecially against a rock hard def (high base def and coverfire)

The above are just observations through brawling, i DID NOT do a proper research or testing for it. These theories seemed to work well enough to help me achieve better brawl gain  

I take your observations seriously, you being one of the most experienced brawlers. I definitely have seen numbers 2 and 3 in play for myself. The first point is an interesting one I've been testing. It might explain why my much higher level guild leader was averaging 500 more points for brawling the same opponent I was during GvG even though I was getting 5-count victories and not in the winning nation. It seems odd because this was in spite of the opponent being higher level than me, but not my guild leader. Your point about overkill might explain; I'm sure my guild leader was winning by a larger margin than I was. This is important because I usually try to match up cards that are only slightly stronger to conserve cost, but if BP bonus is awarded for overkill, then I need to change my habits. Putting points 1 and 4 together, one might conclude the best method is to match lowest atk possible, but have lots of skills so that you can end up with overkill also.