Author Message

_SaintNix_

Rank 0
_SaintNix_
Joined
05 Dec 2012
Posts
37
Location
United States
PostedJan 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Re: In the Shadows of Kings

Being a free player in a VIP world
Expire66 wrote:
Greetings my friends!

This thread poses the question of balance between the free players (such as myself) and the kings (VIP) whose challenge comes not from those like me, but from other kings who seethe with jealousy or rage.

I understand that there are those who are willing to spend time on a game and become powerful; and there are those who are willing to spend money on a game and become powerful. But how does this balance truly work?

From my point of view, things are very bleak in both PvE and PvP events.
-How many of the top 10 players on the DPS chart for the World Boss are free players?
-How many free players have the strength, nay, the courage to stand their ground against PrincessTT, LordTri, Euphoric, and Sithlord in the battleground?
-How have Wings affected the tide of battle in the Group Arena?
-How many free players have hit the level cap?

Is there a balance that the Gods of Wartune have refused to let me see, or have they abandoned us to a fate worse than Yaros?
I will fight onward as I always have; but I must know, my friends, will I or any of my fellow free players rise out from under the shadows of kings.......or are we doomed to live beneath their table? Slaughtering one another for the crumbs of glory that they allow to fall from it?


-Vossler of PHOENIX  



freaking love how you just described this lmfao!

<a></a>
Advertisement

zthen

Rank 1
zthen
Joined
26 Jun 2011
Posts
217
Location
United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 4:56 am

Re: In the Shadows of Kings

Being a free player in a VIP world
Expire66 wrote:
Greetings my friends!

This thread poses the question of balance between the free players (such as myself) and the kings (VIP) whose challenge comes not from those like me, but from other kings who seethe with jealousy or rage.

I understand that there are those who are willing to spend time on a game and become powerful; and there are those who are willing to spend money on a game and become powerful. But how does this balance truly work?

From my point of view, things are very bleak in both PvE and PvP events.
-How many of the top 10 players on the DPS chart for the World Boss are free players?
-How many free players have the strength, nay, the courage to stand their ground against PrincessTT, LordTri, Euphoric, and Sithlord in the battleground?
-How have Wings affected the tide of battle in the Group Arena?
-How many free players have hit the level cap?

Is there a balance that the Gods of Wartune have refused to let me see, or have they abandoned us to a fate worse than Yaros?
I will fight onward as I always have; but I must know, my friends, will I or any of my fellow free players rise out from under the shadows of kings.......or are we doomed to live beneath their table? Slaughtering one another for the crumbs of glory that they allow to fall from it?


-Vossler of PHOENIX  


isn't this the norm in almost every f2p game? Paying customers achieve everything faster then those that choose not to spend money. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think anyone in the game has hit lvl cap.

<a>Image and video hosting by TinyPic</a>

skaix

Rank 1
Joined
18 Nov 2007
Posts
215
Location
United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 8:02 am   Last edited by skaix on Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am. Edited 2 times in total
It has been said, but this is just the nature of the F2P model. The phrase "pay to win" seems to be the most accurate assessment. I've long suspected that games with this model, weren't made to last pass the cash cow stage. Any semblance of "balance" in F2P games is quickly obliterated by the frequency of spending promos. At least that is my experience.

There are elements in this game that could bridge the gap between non-spenders, light spenders and heavy spenders, but it's poorly implemented. The VIP wheel and the market are two examples. The former seems to only reward the least desirable of prizes with no semblance of randomness and the latter not being able to acquire items with vouchers, which are available to all players.

In regards to the battleground level cap, what Euphoric suggested is better than what we have currently but I'd rather see 50-54, 55-59 groupings.

Yddriss-Phoenix

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Posts
22
Location
West Jordan United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 10:05 am
HitomoX,

You misunderstand, I'm very familiar with free to play games with pay to win models. Wartune is simply a game meant to pass the time until other games rivet my attention, but I digress.

This thread regards the balance of the game itself. All MMO games that have an aspect of PvP have some form of a balanced system for fair play. As I've said before, some people choose to spend time and others choose to spend money; the game should make an effort to cater to both audiences. Wartune and other browser based games make it quite clear that they hold the premium players in higher regard than the free players.

Quite a few of the biggest spenders on the Aeria server agreed in another thread that it is unfortunate that the balance is tipped in their favor; but they believe in time, free players would gain some of the same benefits.


You are correct that being a free player gives the impression of hitting face first into a brick wall. Both my Campaign and Forgotten Catacomb progression has ground to a halt and I'm now contemplating whether I should reroll my equipment stats and Astrals or grind Daru and dump it all into unit upgrades and Enlightenment.

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Posts
22
Location
West Jordan United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 10:14 am
Zthen,

You are correct nobody has hit the level cap, that was covered by a post from Saveric and I am sorry that I have not corrected it.

Indeed, most Free to Play models have a very short life span that is only refreshed upon the introduction of either a new server or new content. While I understand that paying money should be an optional way of becoming powerful, it should not make one impossibly god-like in comparison to the free players.

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Posts
22
Location
West Jordan United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 10:32 am
Skaix,

Thank you for your insight of the VIP wheel, I was unaware of whether or not it was useful or useless. I also felt a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw that items in the Market were only purchaseable with Balens.

Ah, I remember that thread you mentioned. I agree with the Battleground Brackets that you propose; as it stands now, the Battleground is probably the most ridiculously imbalanced part of the game. I feel sorry for the lower level 40's that stand literally no chance of survival in the field.


It is good to see you in the Forums, Yddriss. Very Happy

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."

andraxxusbear

Rank 0
Joined
01 Dec 2012
Posts
43
Location
Romania
PostedJan 02, 2013 10:47 am
Expire66 wrote:
HitomoX,

You misunderstand, I'm very familiar with free to play games with pay to win models. Wartune is simply a game meant to pass the time until other games rivet my attention, but I digress.

This thread regards the balance of the game itself. All MMO games that have an aspect of PvP have some form of a balanced system for fair play. As I've said before, some people choose to spend time and others choose to spend money; the game should make an effort to cater to both audiences. Wartune and other browser based games make it quite clear that they hold the premium players in higher regard than the free players.

Quite a few of the biggest spenders on the Aeria server agreed in another thread that it is unfortunate that the balance is tipped in their favor; but they believe in time, free players would gain some of the same benefits.


You are correct that being a free player gives the impression of hitting face first into a brick wall. Both my Campaign and Forgotten Catacomb progression has ground to a halt and I'm now contemplating whether I should reroll my equipment stats and Astrals or grind Daru and dump it all into unit upgrades and Enlightenment.  


True that it feels like a brick wall x_X but i quoted this post to tell you that Enlightening the units is as big a daru black hole as getting the orange astrals.
You need 5 million daru to get the level 2 (i was lucky to get mine at 4 million) and after that the next one needs you to spend 10 million O_O.
And well the rewards are not that impressive +2% HP out of the Knights hp. :"C To think that i could have had 4 more levels on the Knights is just T_T.

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Posts
22
Location
West Jordan United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 10:54 am
andraxxusbear,

Truly!? Enlightenment is that useless? You have my condolences friend. And you have my thanks for the warning.

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."

andraxxusbear

Rank 0
Joined
01 Dec 2012
Posts
43
Location
Romania
PostedJan 02, 2013 11:14 am
No problem it's nice that I was able to help you and anyone that will read this thread. ^_^ Yeah, it is T_T. I just wanted to see if it would really be worth it since no one wanted to answer the simple question: Is enlightening your units worth doing?

So I decided that instead of waiting for someone to maybe answer in world chat I would do it myself and let others know if it's worth getting or not.

If and only IF you have an unending fountain of daru or use tons of money to alchemy it or are high enough in level with your char that you can afford to spare some daru should anyone attempt that. ^_^

The gain was a lol considering the time you spend getting that much daru and the requirements for the next one are crazy at 10 million O_O expecting 20 for level 3 hehe.

Saveric

GameSage: Aeria Browser
Saveric
Joined
05 Aug 2011
Posts
1307
Location
United States
PostedJan 02, 2013 11:35 am   Last edited by Saveric on Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Expire66 wrote:

Thank you for your insight of the VIP wheel, I was unaware of whether or not it was useful or useless. I also felt a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw that items in the Market were only purchaseable with Balens.
 


Best thing you will get for 36 VIP tokens typically is 5 Mount whips and 500k gold(which are good enough for most people. 500k gold guaranteed is nice every 2-3 days bonus). Along with a few other random items(lvl 2 gems, shadow crystals, 20k gold, 20k daru, 60k gold, some crops, 10 Crypt Tokens) the high level gems are very low chance. While they do get acquired from there sometimes(I haven't seen one on our server be acquired from VIP wheel, but have seen it on other portals) it's far and few between. We've had more high level gems from Market than from Wheel by far.

-----------------------------

Enlightenment helps more at the higher levels when you easily cap your troops and have a lot of extra daru. While at early levels it could help some it depends on how well you do in world bosses and how much you farm in the wilds. I have over 25mil daru right now that I'm not using on my level 60 Knights(Waiting on a future patch). My knights have +2% PDef Enlightenment so I gain 100 PDef from my knights, which isn't too bad. I'd gain 500 HP if I left it as 2% HP Enlightenment. Which is almost an extra level 4 gem so not too bad to me.
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: