Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
PostedDec 28, 2012 3:30 am

In the Shadows of Kings

Being a free player in a VIP world
Greetings my friends!

This thread poses the question of balance between the free players (such as myself) and the kings (VIP) whose challenge comes not from those like me, but from other kings who seethe with jealousy or rage.

I understand that there are those who are willing to spend time on a game and become powerful; and there are those who are willing to spend money on a game and become powerful. But how does this balance truly work?

From my point of view, things are very bleak in both PvE and PvP events.
-How many of the top 10 players on the DPS chart for the World Boss are free players?
-How many free players have the strength, nay, the courage to stand their ground against PrincessTT, LordTri, Euphoric, and Sithlord in the battleground?
-How have Wings affected the tide of battle in the Group Arena?
-How many free players have hit the level cap?

Is there a balance that the Gods of Wartune have refused to let me see, or have they abandoned us to a fate worse than Yaros?
I will fight onward as I always have; but I must know, my friends, will I or any of my fellow free players rise out from under the shadows of kings.......or are we doomed to live beneath their table? Slaughtering one another for the crumbs of glory that they allow to fall from it?

-Vossler of PHOENIX

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."
Advertisement

MisticSpy

Rank 0
PostedDec 28, 2012 4:22 am
I do agree with all that you said.It's true and every non-vip will agree but only until they wil get vip.And what would you expect?Every game ever made was designed for the profit.Every game has a point at which you must donate to continue.They won't change this.
The hard work to get their items or level it's useless here.Some of this huge difference might be solved by a trading system.

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
PostedDec 28, 2012 4:56 am
MisticSpy,

It is true that many games are following the trend of being free to play with pay to play features. While I do not expect the trend to change, I do hope for a balance between the two audiences.

If things continue the way that they are, it will not be long before the free players simply leave. There is hardly incentive to keep playing when the game no longer caters to the efforts of the dedicated, but to the wallets of the willing.

I believe then, Wartune will become devoid of all but the strongest of spenders contending to be the King of an empty game.

"Light thinks that it is faster than everything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that the darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it."

decadencefool

Rank 0
PostedDec 28, 2012 8:46 am
The players that you are talking about are players that have spent ALOT of cash on this game. If the game doesnt reward such players with an advantage who is going to fund the server?

Btw vip gives an advantage yes it does but it doesnt give that MUCH of an advantage....

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
PostedDec 28, 2012 9:38 am
decadencefool,

Perhaps you misunderstand; I'm not against the VIP, I'm simply yearning for a balance between those who spend money and those who spend time on this game. Those that I have listed are simply examples of people whom I will most likely never transcend, regardless of the number of hours I grind in-game.

The VIP are purchasing Balens (This is based on personal observation), which in and of themselves provide a huge boost in potential as many of the incredible items may only be purchased with Balens. I.E. wings, the best crops, mounts, socketing rods, double honor scrolls, and end-game quality gem plans.

The above create a massive gap in strength between themselves and free players such as myself, which I wouldn't mind except for one very core component of Wartune...PvP.

Your funding argument is incorrect, funding is mostly covered via advertisements through various portals. Facebook ads, youtube ads, wiki ads, pop-ups, search engine suggestions, button click counters, etc. Yes they do make some money through the purchase of Balens, but those profits are also split among Aeria, R2, or other platforms used to support / access Wartune outside of their official website.

Sine_Amore

Rank 3
Sine_Amore
PostedDec 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Just a little bit of input, but I must say that these people do not ONLY spend money on games, they also spend a great deal of time on them as well. VIP and wings and mounts and socketed gems mean nothing if you do not spend time in game to keep your level and BR up. As I recall, one of our GSes was keeping up just fine with the top players without buying...

Saveric

Rank 3
Saveric
PostedDec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: In the Shadows of Kings

Being a free player in a VIP world
Expire66 wrote:

-How many free players have hit the level cap?

On English servers Zero Free Players and Zero Paying Players have hit the level cap. Because the content isn't released for it. Before the recent patch the content stopped at 55 for Multiplayer Dungeons and 58 for Campaigns. So the only way to earn xp above 60 was Bounties and Crypt. New content that was released has the 60 & 65 MP Dungeon and 60-68 Campaigns. Players will be waiting on the 70-80 Content patch to hit max level for the English servers.

Level cap is 80.

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
PostedDec 28, 2012 5:55 pm   Last edited by Expire66 on Dec 28, 2012 6:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total
Sine_Amore,

Truly? Do you recall who the GS was?

I do not doubt that they also spend a great deal of time on these games. But where the free players spend only their time, the VIP choose to spend money as well. Hence their ability is beyond that of a free player in almost all areas.

Both I and the VIP are capable of obtaining socketing rods; For me to obtain a socketing rod, for example. I must spin the wheel at the Guild Altar, grind the Catacombs, and run dungeons 'X' number of times, with a lot of empty runs and fruitless attempts. Whereas a spender need only open his shop tab and buy the amount of rods that he desires. The hour input of myself compared to the hour input of the VIP relative to obtain optimal gear is clearly skewed.

But there are also gaps that I cannot clear, regardless of hour input. Wings for example are not available to the free players at all; therefore if I fought with another player who was the exact same level and had the exact same equipment and astrals as myself, but he had wings, I would lose. That is not due to my being less skilled, but is due to an item that I cannot acquire by any means other than the purchase of Balens.

Expire66

Rank 0
Expire66
PostedDec 28, 2012 5:58 pm
Saveric,

Ah, I was mistaken about the level cap. I am sorry.

RollaR_50248

Rank 2
RollaR_50248
PostedDec 28, 2012 7:08 pm
Expire66 wrote:
Sine_Amore,

Truly? Do you recall who the GS was?  

She was referring to Saveric (in game name - GS Daehawk) i believe. Although he is VIP, his spend is marginal compared to other players his level. Until last week he was the highest level ranking player and was still competitive with BR.

Also note, not all VIPs are big spenders. There are a lot of players who spend no more than the amount needed to buy VIP each month on the game. Also, not all spenders are VIP (athough this is a lesser proportion).

You can be competitive without spending a fortune. Granted you might not be able to take down the Tris and Euphs of the game but that does not mean that the game isn't enjoyable. Almost everything available in balens shop is also available for free by grinding or a bit of luck.

Yes I agree that wings being a balens-only item atm is unfortunate, and I really hope (and expect) that in the near future they introduce an event where these can be earned. But essentially that is not a game-breaking issue. Also, the fact that you play through Aeria is useful to free players. There a promotions and surveys that can be completed for AP as well as regular forum competitions ( THIS IS ONE ) and facebook riddles which give away free AP if you know where to look. So it is still possible to get wings without spending.

In my opinion the balance between free-player and payer is better in this game (at this stage in time) than in many other games I have played. And there will always be the big-power buyers who leap ahead in strength no matter what. Even the average spender cannot compete with them and it's best to let them fight between themselves and enjoy the game as you play it competing at your own level.