Seahkelvin

Rank 0
Seahkelvin
PostedDec 23, 2012 6:17 am   Last edited by Seahkelvin on Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm. Edited 10 times in total

Bolt-Action Sniper Guide by Seahkelvin

An in-depth guide of snipers.
So I've always been baffled about why some scopes feel different than others, even by the tiniest bit. Some scopes felt that they were more flexible to use - was this due to the scope times or magnifications?

In this thread I will cover the scope speeds and magnifications of all the scopes of snipers in the weapon shop, along with the Mosin Nagant as a side reference for magnification.

Anyway, let's get into the details.

Click here for an illustrated guide

These are some statements that have been speculated about certain scopes of snipers:
-AWM Basic Scope zooms less than FR-F2 Basic/Sharpshooter Scope
-TPG1/PGM.338 Basic Scope Zoom = M24/SV98/AWM/FR-F2/DSR-1/Blaser R93/ASW.338 Basic Scope Zoom
-Blaser R93 Precision Scope zooms in less than SV98/AWM/PGM.338 Quickscope, ASW.338 Sharpshooter Scope, FR-F2 Quickscope
-Blaser R93 Sharpshooter Scope zooms in less than M24/SV98/AWM/FR-F2/DSR-1/Blaser R93/ASW.338 Basic Scope zoom, and that its zoom is equivalent to the Mosin Nagant's
-FR-F2 Quickscope Zoom = FR-F2 Basic/Sharpshooter Scope Zoom
-ASW.338 Quickscope = DSR-1 High Powered Scope 2 Zoom
-TPG-1 High Powered Scope zooms in more than PGM.338 High Powered Scope
-TPG-1's Scopes zoom in faster than PGM.338's Scopes (and vice versa)
-No other gun has a lower magnification than the Mosin Nagant

Zoom Magnification Comparisons:
-M24 Basic Scope = SV98 Basic Scope = AWM Basic Scope = FR-F2 Basic Scope = FR-F2 Sharpshooter Scope = DSR-1 Quickscope = Blaser R93 Basic Scope = Blaser R93 Sharpshooter Scope = ASW.338 Basic Scope
-TPG1 Basic Scope = PGM.338 Basic Scope
-SV98 Precision Scope = AWM Precision Scope = FR-F2 Quickscope = PGM.338 Precision Scope = Blaser R93 Precision Scope = ASW.338 Sharpshooter Scope
-TPG1 High Powered Scope = PGM.338 High Powered Scope = ASW.338 Quickscope
-DSR1 High Powered Scope 2 = TPG1 EPKO
-DSR1 Quickscope 2 zooms in less than Mosin Nagant

One-Hit-Kill (OHK) Rates:
(rough values)
95-99%: ASW.338, TPG1, PGM.338
90-95%: DSR-1, Mosin Nagant, FR-F2
80-90%: AWM, Blaser R93
60-80%: SV98
40-60%: M24

Quickswitch Speeds:
(ranked fastest to slowest)
M24: 0.2s
SV98, DSR-1: 0.7s
Mosin Nagant: 0.87
ASW.338: 0.98s
Blaser R93: 0.98s
FR-F2: 1.08s
PGM.338: 1.09s
TPG1: 1.12s
AWM: 1.2s

Scope Speeds:
(ranked fastest to slowest)
0.12s: Mosin Nagant Basic Scope, AWM Precision Scope
0.14s: FR-F2 Sharpshooter Scope, ASW.338 Quick Scope II, AWM Basic Scope, DSR-1 Quick Scope 2, Blaser R93 Sharpshooter Scope
0.16s: ASW.338 Sharpshooter Scope II
0.18s: ASW.338 Basic Scope
0.20s: M24 Basic Scope, SV98 Precision Scope, FR-F2 Basic Scope, DSR-1 Basic Scope, PGM.338 Precision Scope, Blaser R93 Precison Scope
0.21s: SV98 Basic Scope
0.22s: Blaser R93 Basic Scope, FR-F2 Quick Scope, DSR-1 High Powered Scope 2
0.30s: TPG1 High Powered Scope, PGM.338 High Powered Scope
0.34s: TPG1 Basic Scope, PGM.338 Basic Scope

TIME TAKEN TO DRAW AND AIM IN = QUICKSWITCH TIME + SCOPE-IN TIME

With these results, you can go compare the data and find out what you like best for yourselves. Personally, I feel that you would need to definitely take scope time into consideration, since it's no use having a great scope that you'd like to use, but you're not able to cope with a 0.3s scope-in time.

Also, for a side note, from my experience I feel that the optimal zoom time/magnification would be that the lower the magnification, the faster the scope speed should be, and the higher the magnification, the slower the scope speed should be.

I'll explain why - in certain situations, when zooming in with a high magnification zoom, you may lose track of where you're aiming at, and therefore a lower scope speed would help you keep track of where you're aiming at. With a low magnification scope, if its scope speed is slow, you may find that you already have your target locked on, but it just takes way too long to zoom in - moreover, if you're used to a fast low-mag zoom like an FR-F2's Sharpshooter Scope, you would find the FR-F2's Basic Scope and ASW.338 Basic Scope slightly harder to accustom to.

Bear in mind, though, that the scope magnification would not really matter if you're an amazing quickscoper, as you'd just need to hunt down for the fastest zooming scope of the gun that you're using, and make use of that. I've seen people use ASW.338 Quickscopes for aggressive play very successfully, primarily because they quickscope - I don't do a lot of quickscoping, and dragging an ASW.338's Quickscope is very taxing and throws off my hand-eye coordination a lot.

Therefore, if you like quickscoping, go for the fastest available scope option, but if you like dragscoping, go for the least magnified zoom - if you like both, try to mix and match to find your favourite zoom. I personally recommend the FR-F2 and ASW.338 (Basic/Sharpshooter) for their versatility. If you're a very passive sniper, you may want to consider using a TPG1.

Also, take quickswitching times into mind - do you think you aim well with a sniper? If you know that you hit over 85% of your shots, then you can go for a gun like the TPG1 which has a high OHK rate - you would be able to cope with the slow quickswitch, as you'd have to 'spray' less as you'd hit more. If you often miss your shots, you should pick a gun such as a DSR-1 or an FR-F2 which has a faster quickswitch time and a fast scope-in time, but you would sacrifice some OHK rates for this. Also, if you don't know how to quickswitch, make sure that you either learn how to do so, or pick a gun that has a quicker bolt - don't refuse to quickswitch while using an ASW.338, since that takes a very long time to reload the next bullet.

Anyway, I hope that this thread has helped you to understand the differences between these scopes. Remember to experiment with all the scopes to find your favourite one!

-Seahkelvin Smile

Special thanks to [GS]Trainer for helping me out in this experiment, and sh3llshock for the scope speeds.

TL;DR - Some scopes were said to have been different from others, or similar to others - using screenshots, it has been proven that some of these statements were false. Scope speed also has an impact on one's feel of a scope, and could affect their gameplay to a massive extent.
Advertisement

XiaoJyun

Rank 5
XiaoJyun
PostedDec 23, 2012 6:21 am
This implies HP on PGM is faster than basic scope

is that sure? I always felt like HP on PGM took forever

nonetheless a great thread, thanks for the info, knew most of it from experience, but very usefull so people dont waste euros

also I couldnt tell the difference when using ASW, guess I ll use quick scope from now on

Why do Zombies want your Brains? Because you do not use them anyway!

Seahkelvin

Rank 0
Seahkelvin
PostedDec 23, 2012 6:23 am   Last edited by Seahkelvin on Dec 23, 2012 6:29 am. Edited 1 time in total
XiaoJyun wrote:

nonetheless a great thread, thanks for the info, knew most of it from experience, but very usefull so people dont waste euros

also I couldnt tell the difference when using ASW, guess I ll use quick scope from now on  

The reason why you would perceive the HP on PGM as "taking forever" would be because of the scope animation - before the crosshairs are visible, you would see a very close up of the scope itself - which would make the scope seem slow. Honestly, I felt the same too - I also thought that the PGM's HP zoomed in less than the TPG's HP.

XiaoJyun

Rank 5
XiaoJyun
PostedDec 23, 2012 6:25 am
Seahkelvin wrote:
XiaoJyun wrote:

The reason of why you would perceive the HP on PGM as "taking forever" would be because of the scope animation - before the crosshairs are visible, you would see a very close up of the scope itself - which would make the scope seem slow. Honestly, I felt the same too - I also thought that the PGM's HP zoomed in less than the TPG's HP.  

so what is the value in scope zoom speed? it implies how long you have to wait before firing the shot, not actualy seeing the crosshairrs

or I just misunderstood you

Seahkelvin

Rank 0
Seahkelvin
PostedDec 23, 2012 6:29 am
XiaoJyun wrote:
Seahkelvin wrote:
XiaoJyun wrote:

The reason of why you would perceive the HP on PGM as "taking forever" would be because of the scope animation - before the crosshairs are visible, you would see a very close up of the scope itself - which would make the scope seem slow. Honestly, I felt the same too - I also thought that the PGM's HP zoomed in less than the TPG's HP.  

so what is the value in scope zoom speed? it implies how long you have to wait before firing the shot, not actualy seeing the crosshairrs

or I just misunderstood you  

It has the same zoom speed - just that unlike the TPG, the crosshairs appear a bit later - the speed should still be the same, though.

Seahkelvin

FruutelIa

Rank 5.1
FruutelIa
PostedDec 23, 2012 9:43 am
I didn't read, but *wub*

XiaoJyun

Rank 5
XiaoJyun
PostedDec 23, 2012 10:48 am
bump

should be stickied in guides section

trainer772

Rank 5
trainer772
PostedDec 23, 2012 2:25 pm
Here we go baby.

Good job man.

DontCaeria

Rank 5
DontCaeria
PostedDec 23, 2012 2:27 pm
Woah double post.

Add me on Steam!|My most recent video!

jtruong456

Rank 3
jtruong456
PostedDec 23, 2012 2:43 pm
What about semi automatic snipers? It's uncommon for me to see them in game unless it's the zebra dragunov thing. What's wrong with semis?