omrsax

Rank 0
PostedDec 20, 2012 10:14 am

XP loss on death

Losing 5% XP when character is killed
I am surprised at losing 5% XP whenever my character is killed.
I know this used to happen with older games but with newer games the character normally just respawns at a save location/home town without any XP loss. At worst your armour may be damaged and you have to pay for it to be repaired.
Advertisement

terracyrax

Rank 2
terracyrax
PostedDec 20, 2012 10:23 am

Re: XP loss on death

omrsax wrote:
I know this used to happen with older games but with newer games the character normally just respawns at a save location/home town without any XP loss. At worst your armour may be damaged and you have to pay for it to be repaired.  

i only know of maybe 1 or 2 other games that do losing xp on death big one is FF11

Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedDec 20, 2012 1:11 pm

omrsax wrote:
Would you like the death drop instead? Don't complain about exp loss, because we are lucky to have that.

Personally i TOTALLY dislike death drop or death damage. I like way more exp loss..

BryanFury - Leader |Site|Forum|

Thoreac

Rank 0
Thoreac
PostedDec 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Bryan.Fury wrote:
omrsax wrote:
Would you like the death drop instead? Don't complain about exp loss, because we are lucky to have that.

Personally i TOTALLY dislike death drop or death damage. I like way more exp loss..  

Agreed.

5% loss is minimal, and death should hurt, at least a little.

If you want zero-death penalty, play Tribes or something. Most MMO's (read: every one that I've ever played, although I'm sure there are some weak ones that don't) have some kind of death penalty.

<br>Spoken as a man playing a (large breasted) cat-woman in a virtual world

Extra0rdinary

Rank 2
Extra0rdinary
PostedDec 20, 2012 3:27 pm

terracyrax wrote:
omrsax wrote:

i only know of maybe 1 or 2 other games that do losing xp on death big one is FF11  

I know quite a few games that have EXP loss on death.

Eden Eternal
Grand Fantasia
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online

It's not that big of a deal.

blackdragon214

Rank 1
blackdragon214
PostedDec 20, 2012 4:17 pm
or maybe you prefer a debuff on death ? i totally bet you'd like that

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You will find me there, staring out at you!

Thoreac

Rank 0
Thoreac
PostedDec 20, 2012 4:48 pm
And BTW... "older games" used to lose a LOT more than that.

<spoken in old man voice>
Why when I used to play EverQuest (that's the original, mind you) and we used to walk uphill to the dungeon (no instances back then, sonny... shared dungeons with 100 people) through blazing sand storms, we'd lose 20% or so each death AND we could lose a level to boot! Sometimes you'd die in a dungeon, lose a level, and be unable to get back in to get your body!

Oh wait... you FPS kiddies don't know what it's like to lose a level, your body AND all your gear... darn whipper-snappers...
<slinks back to my rocking chair at the "home">

Kids today...

<br>Spoken as a man playing a (large breasted) cat-woman in a virtual world

sorbek

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
sorbek
PostedDec 20, 2012 5:32 pm
There is an item in the game called a prayer book it can be used at the priest in raden and restores exp loss due to death and i have no doubt that an exp loss prevention item will be sold for ap. Not sure if the prayer book is the ap item or if it can be found in the game. Anyway 5% is a pain at higher levels just have to play safe ask yourself is one 800 gold pot worth the 30 mins to regain the 5% exp you just lost? if mob spawn gets bad RUN.

Etain -Reborn- Sorbet 70 UM Mage

yuksaro77

Rank 0
PostedDec 21, 2012 2:00 pm
DK should make it interesting. Lose a random item upon death? Lose 25% to 50% on death? =D 1 hour resurrection cool down?

Bryan.Fury

Rank 3
Bryan.Fury
PostedDec 21, 2012 2:35 pm
yuksaro77 wrote:
DK should make it interesting. Lose a random item upon death? Lose 25% to 50% on death? =D 1 hour resurrection cool down?  
That is NOT interesting, that is a game killer.

Death Drop, and Death Lock are the most insane, usless, senseless thing to add into a game.

BryanFury - Leader |Site|Forum|