yulli

Rank 4
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:08 pm
does this mean Aeria is now a subsidiary of Sony? or what is Aeria's relation now to Sony or SOE?
here is a paragraph from the press release.
it says Gamepot's parent company is a subsidiary of Sony.

Both companies will function under a new, US-based holding company headed by Hiroki Totoki and Lan Hoang as co-CEOs. Lan Hoang is the CEO of Aeria Games and Hiroki Totoki is the Chairman of Gamepot and also CFO of So-net Entertainment Corporation, a subsidiary of Sony Corporation and Gamepot’s parent company prior to its combination with Aeria Games. The shareholders of Aeria Games will own a majority stake in the holding company.
Advertisement

sddasaf

Rank 0
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:12 pm
I don't really care about that. SOE is pretty good lately.

Zyrein

Rank 4
Zyrein
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:17 pm
Does this mean we get La Tale back? Oh god I want La Tale back. What about Luminary as well?
Though I suppose these games won't be back since I do believe they are open elsewhere English release wise. How soon will we get a announcement on what games you are keeping?

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:22 pm
Zyrein wrote:
Does this mean we get La Tale back? Oh god I want La Tale back. What about Luminary as well?
Though I suppose these games won't be back since I do believe they are open elsewhere English release wise. How soon will we get a announcement on what games you are keeping?  

Didn't Ijji have La Tale and/or Luminary? They didn't bring it back then Sad

<center></center>

Superman0X

Game Master
Superman0X
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:26 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:
After doing a little extra reading, I've seen something.

Gamepot is owned by Sony (or So-Net, a Sony subsidiary), does this mean that Aeria is now technically partnered with or influenced by Sony Online Entertainment?  

yulli wrote:
does this mean Aeria is now a subsidiary of Sony? or what is Aeria's relation now to Sony or SOE?
here is a paragraph from the press release.
it says Gamepot's parent company is a subsidiary of Sony.

Both companies will function under a new, US-based holding company headed by Hiroki Totoki and Lan Hoang as co-CEOs. Lan Hoang is the CEO of Aeria Games and Hiroki Totoki is the Chairman of Gamepot and also CFO of So-net Entertainment Corporation, a subsidiary of Sony Corporation and Gamepot’s parent company prior to its combination with Aeria Games. The shareholders of Aeria Games will own a majority stake in the holding company.  

Ok. This one is a bit complicated. So-Net is a subsidary of Sony. GamePot was a subsidary of So-Net. The new holding company now owns GamePot and Aeria Games. The holding company is owned by the old owners of GamePot and Aeria Games. Sony is now indirectly a minority stakeholder in Aeria Games.

How does this relate us to SOE? Well, they are wholly owned by Sony. Sony only has a minority stake in our holding company. This makes us distant cousins. SOE is also currently publishing Wizardry Online, which is made(developed) by GamePot. All of this will likely result in us talking to each other a bit more... but nothing more specific than that (at this time).

nbaaron13

Rank 0
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:34 pm

gunz is screwed?

so now that you feel the need to add more games to your list, games such as gunz and more are screwed and always will be ran by hackers right?

GM_Battledash

Game Master
GM_Battledash
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:37 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:
Giovanna_X wrote:

Global Company. Does this mean the long-needed and long-desired 24/7 Staff support will finally manifest?  

I doubt it, there will be global offices and each office will handle it's specific localisations, same as Aeria has always done.

As for buying out rights to the games, I doubt that would even be considered unless it was financially feasible. a full game development team isn't exactly cheap, and working from someone else's product isn't an easy thing. I doubt LC or any other published client based game will be fully under Aeria control at any point in time.

edit: Plus, you know, the game developers and controlling powers would have to actually be willing to sell the rights, and if they're making profit off it, I doubt that will happen.  

HOW DO YOU KNOW?

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
PostedDec 17, 2012 2:49 pm
GM_Battledash wrote:
LordRapthorne wrote:
Giovanna_X wrote:

Global Company. Does this mean the long-needed and long-desired 24/7 Staff support will finally manifest?  

I doubt it, there will be global offices and each office will handle it's specific localisations, same as Aeria has always done.

As for buying out rights to the games, I doubt that would even be considered unless it was financially feasible. a full game development team isn't exactly cheap, and working from someone else's product isn't an easy thing. I doubt LC or any other published client based game will be fully under Aeria control at any point in time.

edit: Plus, you know, the game developers and controlling powers would have to actually be willing to sell the rights, and if they're making profit off it, I doubt that will happen.  

HOW DO YOU KNOW?  

Common sense?

<center></center>

lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:23 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:

This is the internet, common sense doesn't exist here.

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedDec 17, 2012 3:28 pm
Superman0X wrote:
Ok. This one is a bit complicated. So-Net is a subsidary of Sony. GamePot was a subsidary of So-Net. The new holding company now owns GamePot and Aeria Games. The holding company is owned by the old owners of GamePot and Aeria Games. Sony is now indirectly a minority stakeholder in Aeria Games.

How does this relate us to SOE? Well, they are wholly owned by Sony. Sony only has a minority stake in our holding company. This makes us distant cousins. SOE is also currently publishing Wizardry Online, which is made(developed) by GamePot. All of this will likely result in us talking to each other a bit more... but nothing more specific than that (at this time).  

...so the old Aeria owners now own Aeria again... blehhhh