urthdigger

Rank 0
PostedDec 17, 2012 5:47 am

KP and playstyle advice?

So, I'm about 30-35 on both thief and MA, and I've yet to spend any knowledge points. Since it doesn't seem they can be easily changed, I feel like I need to make sure I put them in the right place the first time. The problem is that I'm rather ignorant about how to play these classes: I have no idea what the most effective abilities I should be boosting above all else, which things may seem lackluster now but become gamebreaking if I stack it heavily, things like that. So, I'd like to go over my impressions so people can correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe give some advice on where to spend my KP.

I'll start with my impressions on Thief. It appears to specialize in single target damage, with the only area attack being Fury Hit... and a general skill at that, so no boosting it directly with KP. Thief seems to specialize in crit rate, evasion, and attack speed, with buffs that either help these directly, or raise their already impressive agility. As far as special skills go, they can become invisible, which is highly useful out in the field but downright useless in dungeons (most enemies there see through it), double the next p-dmg the enemy takes (can be quite damaging if the next p-dmg is a powerful skill, but timing that is difficult), and get a guaranteed stun if they can become invisible (Must be done either as the first hit, or needs a party member to hold a monster while Hidden Force is used).

As far as KP goes, I really don't know what to put it into. I imagine Seize Opportunity and Deadly Intention aren't likely candidates, due to Sneak not working on anything that's a real threat. I'm guessing I'd probably pour points into Fatal Attack, and other than that put my points into stat boosting ones such as Art of Theft or Dagger Fighter?

Martial artist also appears to be primarily single target, although it is slightly better at utilizing Fury Hit due to higher strength and that hitting many targets at once is a good way to cap out Charge in a heartbeat. Martial Artist focuses moreso on Strength, but attack speed still plays an important role. Each of the attacks also lowers the enemy's defenses temporarily, benefiting the entire party. Also nice is they have a stun ability with no requirements. They also have some defensive abilities, but outside of Defender's Strength they're primarily at higher levels.

As far as KP goes, I'm assuming Charging Technique is a must. Other than that, I'm guessing I'd primarily put my points into raising crit rate, crit damage, and agility?
Advertisement

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedDec 17, 2012 6:32 am
Fighting Technique (assuming you meant that by saying Charging Technique) is not really a must on MA, but I guess some people would go for that.. personally, I put 5 points in it.

Actually, MAs are probably the easiest class to build.. they're so straight-forward. Razz I'd say put KP in atk/crit rate/crit dmg (10 in each) and if you want, put a few on the talents that increase skills damage. The most important thing you'll need to be aiming for is atk, crit rate and crit dmg. You can easily get crit dmg from gears, accessories, certs and if you're willing to put KPs in crit dmg.

The things you want to heavily stack so it 'becomes game-breaking' is LCK. More LCK = more crits and less missing. Get LCK (and crit rate) from gems (LCK fatal gems) and put them on your gears, with enough of those you can reach 50-60% crit rate with no problem. add that to the incredible strength and atk spd MAs have with Charge and you got yourself a monster truck. You need a lot of money for those gems though.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedDec 17, 2012 6:49 am
First of all, I'm going to say that it looks like you've captured the basic playstyles of each class fairly well. On the other hand, the optimum way to play physical dps might actually change from lower levels to endgame depending on your gold investment.

KP in Attack Speed is useless. Attack Speed as a stat is great, but the KP is largely ineffective since decent and great Attack Speed can be attained without investment in the KP.

Crit Dmg depends on your [endgame] gear, certificates, Legendary Achievements (up to 15 points of extra Crit Dmg/M-Crit Dmg from these), heroic trait, and glyphs. Count up all the Crit Dmg you'd have with your ideal set and invest accordingly.

Thief can easily be played for Attack Speed/Eva or Crit builds early in the game depending on which armor you use, but either Crit Dmg will be lacking or both Attack Speed and Eva. Later in the game, most Thief players are able to overreach earlier limits and hybridize either from Atk Speed/Eva and gain Crit or extend from Crit and incorporate Atk Speed and Eva into their builds. It feels like you're sliding around on a spectrum and when great gear is available, you can achieve sort of a balance (however, you're still more inclined towards the armor type you base you build on).

Thief is somewhat difficult to build properly since people want varying amounts of Crit, Eva, and individual skill boosts, though at least 10 points in Crit Rate is probably a safe bet. I personally put KP in Blend since I like that it is infinitely renewable as well as in Gallop and Cruel Slashes for stealth style burst damage. Some players prefer not to rely too much on the stealth stun, though, since it's annoying and sometimes risky to use. Some people who use Dagger + Shield for Block on top of Eva might consider Dagger P-Atk/M-Atk.

Martial Artist is more straightforward. 15 levels in Crit Rate, however much Crit Dmg is needed, then either go high in Cestus P-Atk/M-Atk or invest in Str. Str gives less power than Cestus mastery, but it increases Block Rate with a Shield, which is becoming increasingly popular as an endgame playstyle for physical dps. The Charging boost is not worth it due to heavy waste of KP in Atk Speed as a prerequisite, and the buff itself is powerful enough. Although MA may seem less Eva oriented than Thief, using the same armor a Thief would use for bulk grants MA quit similar bulk, and more Block with a Shield.

Attack Speed really takes off past level 60, and especially 65 for dps classes to use. Thief is able to maintain decent Atk Speed at earlier levels unbuffed, and MA can do so with Charging. Later in the game, accumulating bonuses to Atk Speed via using an Atk Speed pet, completing Legendary Achievements, using the Ranger (yes, unlock Ranger and play it for this) certificate for 15% flat Atk Speed, and the Ice Meteor lets one have very decent Atk Speed unbuffed from the start. Don't focus on this now, just keep it in the back of your mind for later.