minideth

Rank 2
minideth
PostedDec 13, 2012 9:40 am

Gift Cards and AP

So with the holidays approaching many will be getting gift cards. Yes some with knowing friends and families may get the the actual game cards but what about the plain simple $$ cards?

If these are used will it lock up the account since several different CC could potentially be used to load AP onto the account? With the tiers being over and near holidays if that occurs possibility of being "locked" out and not being able to participate is a concern.

Card I have atm that I was considering, if this helps in the question: Visa Debit Gift Card which is loadable $20-500.00. It is not reloadable. And says "Use you Visa Gift Card in the US anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including online"

Not exactly sure if this should be in this section but since it could affect the account figured that would make it "kinda" technical and not just a general convo.
Advertisement

pask81

Rank 5
pask81
PostedDec 13, 2012 10:36 am
Cannot you use paypal and add the debit car to your account? - don't consider this as GS support, I'm quite a nub on this matter Confused

tsavarite

Rank 3
tsavarite
PostedDec 13, 2012 1:38 pm
@ pask - i do not think you can load visa gift cards to paypal. you can use the gift cards to buy Paysafe or AP cards at one of the places that sells them though.

minideth

Rank 2
minideth
PostedDec 13, 2012 5:57 pm
When you go to purchase AP it gives pick your paypall account or credit card. The card does say specifically cannot be used for pre-authorized payments or reaccuring. Which i think is kinda where the paypall would come in. The bummer of using to buy actual cards is the lack of supply.

quigzby

GameSage: Shaiya Phoenix
quigzby
PostedDec 13, 2012 9:50 pm
minideth wrote:
When you go to purchase AP it gives pick your paypall account or credit card. The card does say specifically cannot be used for pre-authorized payments or reaccuring. Which i think is kinda where the paypall would come in. The bummer of using to buy actual cards is the lack of supply.  
{emphasis mine}

I was actually going to suggest this but if the AP cards are not available in your area, the suggestion become moot. You are correct in that you cannot use a pre-paid visa card with a pay-pal account. When friends/family ask me about gift cards I always tell them to get me the Aeria card Very Happy

If you limit your AP purchases to a single CC, maybe 2 and space out the purchases by a couple of days, I don't think you would lock up the account, but I do think that risk is there if you use 3 or more, especially for large amounts. If that happened you could go through the appeal process but as you point out, not being able to participate would be a concern.

I'm not that familiar with the pre-paid cards but it occurs to me that one other thing you might be able to try is seeing if you can cash them in at a bank. If you could, then you could take the entire amount from all cards and put it on a single pre-paid card.

blacknight3579

Rank 4
blacknight3579
PostedDec 13, 2012 10:17 pm
this card IS usable through paypal, once purchased, you must go to the site on the card/card package and activate its online usage ability. then you can load it onto your paypal and the money wil not technically be on paypal, but when makign a purchase it should take the moeny off the card. i have used this method 1 time before

quigzby

GameSage: Shaiya Phoenix
quigzby
PostedDec 13, 2012 10:18 pm
blacknight3579 wrote:
this card IS usable through paypal, once purchased, you must go to the site on the card/card package and activate its online usage ability. then you can load it onto your paypal and the money wil not technically be on paypal, but when makign a purchase it should take the moeny off the card. i have used this method 1 time before  

Thanks for the clarification. I am willing to bet that when I tried it I had not "activated its online usage ability". I'll look for that if and when I ever get another gift card. Very Happy

minideth

Rank 2
minideth
PostedDec 14, 2012 9:57 am
blacknight3579 wrote:

Ok so what in situations that the cards are not all like this one.. a Visa. I'm also asking for general. It does give the ability to register the card though on the Visa site. The potential of different cards being recieved is a definate possibility. Also to the comment about cashing them in, specifically you can't turn them into cash so that option is out.

I just dont want to mess up my account and have it locked up and then be screwed for the tier. That's why i'm asking for more details. And i can't imagine that others wouldn't be interested in this. One reason i ask too is with AP cards in such demand and the supply issues, this would be an option for buying "AP cards" and yet it is not. We don't see in TC want to buy gift cards. If they work this way as you have mentioned.. why not? Red Flag to me. And the reason I posted here and in the public forums, I was hoping for some GM clarification.

LtWorf

Rank 2
LtWorf
PostedDec 18, 2012 3:23 pm
minideth wrote:

Hey Pix I have done this numerous times with gift cards for birthdays. If you do have a paypal account you can add the prepaid account card to paypal then it will allow you too choose which card you want to you use to purchase the ap. Then after your gift cards are used just delete the card info from the paypal account. How ever if you dont have a paypal account too add the gift card and you go through paypal or google with out having a account more than likely the account will get flagged but if this does happen you can alway write to the gms and send ticket explaining what happend and in the ticket put missed promotions and the gm's will usually allow you too get the tier you missed.

Hope this helps

minideth

Rank 2
minideth
PostedDec 18, 2012 4:14 pm
tyvm Star I just didn't want to mess up the account and then loose out on the tiers. Wink