TheNekoShirana

Rank 0
TheNekoShirana
PostedDec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Templar

Bleh
So I'm not really new but I did come back after temp-quitting during the 60 cap due to irl stuff that was more important. Anyways, after browsing the class discussion a bit on Templar (because I want to main it this time over my magician) I was just wondering about some stuff. Personally I'd rather build a defensive Templar than an offensive one and after reading through peoples opinions on a defensive Templar it still seems you have to go with damage and +10'ing your weapon for damage just to hold aggro over other people (and I personally know how hard it is to hold aggro as Templar compared to Knight).

However, I was more of wondering what other peoples opinions were on a defensive Templar. In-game, my friends told me I need to focus on block first till it's 50% (which is the block cap as I just learned) then focus on evasion. This is actually confusing to me. I'm not really a gamer and the only other game I've every really played requires a tanking class to have Def and HP as their primary stats...and evasion being second (and of course, helpful). But in EE, even with my almost 18k def in crappy +3 61-64 quest armor rewards and 20k+ HP I still get one shotted by many bosses in normal dungeons with crits.... gg z.z So I'm not really use to EE's game mechanics despite playing since CB.

The other thing is, I'm told I need to +8/+10 a purple or lvl 70 mace for damage to hold aggro since Templars, apparently, have to focus on damage first or else they will just lose aggro. Do you HAVE to +8/+10 a mace? I mean, I always thought of enhancing your gears as being a pvp thing, not a pve thing. But it does seem like I have to if I ever want to hold aggro over my +8/+10 wep wielding friends z.z;; I had enough experience with enhancing when my rapier for my knight failed 9 times going for +5 from +4. Idk about EE but 9 times for one upgrade was horribly unlucky in my other game.

Next, if you have a good Templar/Mained Templar, what KP and certs did you use? Here are mine:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2eefy0x.png
I focused on block and eva mostly after being told it was better...before I had +def and -damage received certs. For KP I went for def, malice, and improved buffs and heals.

As for armor sets I already picked out and bought the one I want to use in 2 more lvls. Here is a pic.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2d852cp.png
As you can see I went for Def/HP again...after my past experiences and after what my friends told me I'm starting to wonder if this was a mistake especially after being told it's very easy to cap block without +block certs and equipment. Post your opinions on this too please.

Lastly, what trophies and accessories do you recommend? Again, before I asked my friends, I focused on def/HP trophies. I used Gimu's Evil Eye and Yuhidors Energy Core for the +HP/Def set effect and enchanted them with Guardian Lvl 7 on both. As for cape/rings/necklace I just focused on agi/eva gears.

I care only for PvE...unlike my friends who like critting 20k+ on people I like STOPPING those from happening when bosses do it...
Advertisement

Mocarze

GameSage: Eden Eternal
Mocarze
PostedDec 11, 2012 12:39 pm
Next time, make sure you post anything related to templars in the Defensive Class section of the Class Guide/Information section!

In terms of defensive templars, it's not as naturally built for tanking as, let's say, Knight or Warrior. Most of their skills are magic-based, not physical DPS-based, which means the armour you're looking for will either not help your DPS and aggro-holding, or not help your tanking.

Defence, in Eden Eternal, only affects *physical* damage, and most bosses will use magical attacks. To reduce M-DMG, you'll want to have elemental resistances, which can be achieved through accessories, achievements, certificates, traits, procs, and buffs.

Evasion isn't necessary, even in 65 trials (I'm still level 69, so I haven't done 70 trials), and I run around with cap block, 22k HP, 45% def, 40% eva and I'll never get one-shot. A big factor in that is having high resistances, which I get from two certificates, cloth and heavy armour achievements, my awakened club, my trophy enchants, and accessories. Block actually defends against magic attacks (it will say miss, but that's just a translation error!), and won't be reduced when you get stunned or slept (unlike eva), so it's definitely an important stat.

TheNekoShirana

Rank 0
TheNekoShirana
PostedDec 11, 2012 12:49 pm
Mocarze wrote:
Next time, make sure you post anything related to templars in the Defensive Class section of the Class Guide/Information section!

In terms of defensive templars, it's not as naturally built for tanking as, let's say, Knight or Warrior. Most of their skills are magic-based, not physical DPS-based, which means the armour you're looking for will either not help your DPS and aggro-holding, or not help your tanking.

Defence, in Eden Eternal, only affects *physical* damage, and most bosses will use magical attacks. To reduce M-DMG, you'll want to have elemental resistances, which can be achieved through accessories, achievements, certificates, traits, procs, and buffs.

Evasion isn't necessary, even in 65 trials (I'm still level 69, so I haven't done 70 trials), and I run around with cap block, 22k HP, 45% def, 40% eva and I'll never get one-shot. A big factor in that is having high resistances, which I get from two certificates, cloth and heavy armour achievements, my awakened club, my trophy enchants, and accessories. Block actually defends against magic attacks (it will say miss, but that's just a translation error!), and won't be reduced when you get stunned or slept (unlike eva), so it's definitely an important stat.  

Hmm alright. I kind of thought that section was mostly for guides. Next time I ever ask about a class I'll be sure to post in the correct forums.

As for magical attacks I was told blocking does not affect magic...so that is interesting. As for magical resistances well I guess having 10-15% isn't enough. Luckily I have many trophies and certs to increase resistances when needed though I still tend to be entirely defeated by bosses even if they're physical and not magical based...guess that comes down to my low eva/block rate though. I tend to have issues just trying to tank normal enemy groups in dungeons too because they pretty much never miss z.z Unlike my friend with his insane 90%+ eva who can solo entire trial dungeons with no healer when dealing with just the normal mobs -.-;;

Based on what i read and what you said I guess it seems Templars are more like a magical damage class and a tanking class combined. Just doesn't make sense to me yet oddly I like the idea xD

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedDec 11, 2012 6:48 pm
Templars are apt for surviving, but tend to have problems keeping aggro. Warriors easily gain HP and Defense, Knight has an advantage for physical resistance and Eva, and Templar has a lead on elemental resistance. Whatever one class does not specialize in, resources go into covering other areas, though defense and HP are debatable about how much you need. Block caps at 50% and affects all incoming attacks. Eva caps at 100%, but you don't need 100% base Eva; procs for Eva and Agi bump it up easily. You always want to have Block capped, and you can get decent amounts of Resistances from crafting armor for Legendary Achievements. HP and Defense is pretty much: get it as high as you can when you're done with other stats. Normal damage reduction caps at 70% from Defense, but Crit Dmg reduction will never feasibly be capped.

Your gear has a larger impact on your tanking stats than your class. Can Knight max Eva easily? Of course. Can Warrior and Templar max Eva as well? Yes. Block? All of them can and need it. Defense? Sure, fortify armor. HP? KP, class expertise, legendary achievemens, pets, buffs . . . you'll have enough. Like I said, each class maxes something more easily, but needs to allocate resources into covering weak points, so it sort of evens up. Knight has only a small lead on physical resist, and Templar can get up to 10% elemental resist from KP. By the way, resists are very reliable forms of damage reduction. Eva gives a chance of avoiding all damage, but resists just make you very bulky so that you can afford to take hits. I consider Eva secondary to resists, but as a tank, Eva does not always come at the expense of resists, so you *can* have a decent balance between them.

Offensively, Templar is unique. It has amazing burst damage with its Knockdown, but long cooldowns seem to hamper it from generating a consistent damage output. Damage translates directly into aggro, so that's why people are suggesting that you fortify a powerful mace; you need tons of damage from fewer hits to keep aggro as Templar. Knight has a large AoE that has DoT while it cools down, increased aggro generation, and faster cooldown all in one skill. Warrior might lose aggro, but Group Provoke is an insanely large AoE that automatically rips mobs' attention from your allies to you. Templar has only a a Knockdown (which increases damage done immediately thereafter by 50%, making the difference between your damage and that of a true dps that much larger, causing aggro loss that much faster) that is very slow to cool down and a damage attack that does increase aggro, but has no other effect and cools down too slow to compensate for this. That means every point of damage counts.

To help keep aggro, try to stack elemental damage enchants and effects from weapons, armor, trophies, and enchants (and maybe ask a friendly Mage to keep Element Guardian up on you). For every stack of elemental damage you have on you, the aggro increase from Declaration of Anger is multiplied by that number +1 (since it also increases aggro generation from your main attack). For example, you use Declaration of Anger and you have one elemental damage effect. Its effect is doubled by being applied once to your attack and once to the elemental damage. If you have two types of elemental damage, it is tripled, and so on, so forth. On a side note, if you tank as Templar, it is recommended that you have all 5 points of +4% Malice on KP, and max out the KP of all talents that increases the damage done by your individual skills. Your defensive stats can be maxed mostly without bolstering through KP, but your damage and HP need to be as high as possible to keep aggro (and just because HP is a stat that more is always welcome).

That's my take on Templar, and here's a sample of what my KP would look like had I not messed it up with nubby placement earlier on.