STRIKENSUN41

Rank 0
STRIKENSUN41
PostedDec 10, 2012 1:45 am

MBA equality

There may be an in-equality in the monster battle arena
I have quite some experience with Monster battle arenas, and I can say that many matches are not even. Either it being one team gets and monster that is way too strong while the other team has a weak mob. Or one team has players that are way higher level than the other team is. These circumstances do not make this arena very even. Many of times it makes it not as fun as it supposed to be, and harder to win. What ways can this arena become more even? Well, I have a solution. It’s pretty simple really; all that has to be done is implement a total system for each team’s monster set. What this does is makes each monster have a set number to where they which total a number. This number would have to be like the number 30. Where no matter what, both sides have to total that number. This would make it more even when it becomes 2 vs. 3 and regular 3 vs. 3. So I have taken the level factor as well into play. So what I did was think of a percentage chance of each monster and what the level difference either adds or subtracts on each monster chance. So the biggest difference is from level 70 to level 30, which is a difference of 40 levels. Below on the chart is where percentage chance, and the set number given for each monster. It also shows the biggest add on and biggest subtraction.

Percent chance/added lvl bonus from high to low/ Number added to team monsters/ Monsters, strongest to weakest
46%/-20%, +20%/ 20/ Alice
48%/-20%, +20%/ 19/ Dana
50%/-20%, +20%/ 18/ Null heart
52%/-20%, +20%/ 17/ Acilino
54%/-20%, +20%/ 16/ Miller
56%/-20%, +20%/ 15/ Ebaster
58%/-20%, +20%/ 14/ Gun Rx079
60%/-20%, +20%/ 13/ Robo VT080
62%/-20%, +20%/ 12/ Quiller
64%/-20%, +20%/ 11/ Salvio
40%/ 10/ Bayard
30%/+20%, -20%/ 9/ Anderli
32%/+20%, -20%/ 8/ Quade
34%/+20%, -20%/ 7/ Jinny
36%/+20%, -20%/ 6/ Ketak
38%/+20%, -20%/ 5/ Mori Mori
40%/+20%, -20%/ 4/ Herak
42%/+20%, -20%/ 3/ Juan
44%/+20%, -20%/ 2/ Guillaume
46%/+20%, -20%/ 1/ Jiro

It is 20 because the highest level difference is 40 levels, so I divided it by 2 and got 20. So for your player level, it will compare to the other teams lowest team member. Then finds the range and divides it by two. After that, it can compare your level to the highest level on their team and put that into the factor. So, for instance, your team has a level 40, a level 52, and a level 67, and the other team has a level 33, a level 70, and a level 47. Lets also say you’re the level 67, what happens here is your level compares to the lowest, which is level 33. The range here is 34 levels, divided by two is 17. After that, it will compare your level to the highest level on the other team, which is a 3 level difference, divided by 2 is 1.5. What happens here is the first number subtracts on to the strongest mob and adds on to the weakest mob. Then the second number does the opposite. This would make Alice which has a 46% be subtracted by 15.5 and Jiro’s 46% adds 15.5. So lets say your were the level 33, the level difference here is there is no other weaker level, so the difference is 0 and the second number is 34, divided by 2 is 17. The numbers added would be 17+ to your percent rate of a stronger mob, and a -17 to your percent rate of a weaker mob. Basically, Alice’s 46% would get +17, and Jiro’s 46% would get deducted -17. It would do this for all players in the game.
So basically, each team can only have a total of 30 points for each monster, but also each level difference adds on to the percentage chance of getting each monster. For the higher levels will be much stronger and more knowledgeable than the low levels. So it equals out.
Now another thing that people like me mostly hate, are the people who play away from keyboard. What happens is just about the same as 2 vs. 3, but with 3 people on the 2. I also find it quite unfair when you get disconnected and it’s not your fault, yet you get punished for it, yet the afk players don’t. I think there should be a system in place to stop afk players.
Other than this, that is pretty much all.

The "White Wolf"
Advertisement

Anchaai

Rank 2
Anchaai
PostedDec 10, 2012 1:59 am
Le math x.x

Anyway I'll just skip to the AFKing in arena part. About d/cing, it can't be helped once you are in arena, heck even freezing during loading in arena is affecting the flow of arena balance. Oh wait, since when did an arena get balanced anyway? Even in MBA it's freaking imbalanced. There isn't an exact way for the system to figure out how a player leaves an arena though.

Believe me, additional systems or stuff might ruin arena worse than it is now. It's kinda good to keep the current system, you have weapons in MBA that slightly balances your stats equal to the players in the arena, plus all that matters is how you play your monsters right. The monsters are random anyway, just like the whole game.

SkyeAnn

Rank 0
SkyeAnn
PostedDec 10, 2012 2:13 am
I'm gonna just say I think it's fine the way it is. Just because someone is high level doesn't automatically mean you'll lose if they are on the other side. In fact, I've run into quite a few afking high levels in MBA. MBA is really about how well you play the monsters itself. I've done quite a bit of monster arena and I've been on teams with good monsters like Dana and still lose that round simply because the person didn't really understand how to play her right. I know MBA gets frustrating with AFKers and also if you keep getting less mainstream monsters so if it really bothers you just take a break from it. I have to do it from time to time as well. Also if you wait a few minutes after each round you can end up with a batch of new people most of the time if you keep ending up with a bunch of high levels or you keep getting stuck with afkers.

Anywho, this is just my opinion. c:

HP.Lemon

Rank 2
HP.Lemon
PostedDec 10, 2012 4:21 am
Your system does seem like it would work, but there's one very gaping flaw with the balancing system you propose - the other point you stated, leechers in Arena. Your balancing system assumes that all six players in the game will be playing, which, sadly, isn't a common sight in MBA.
To elaborate on the leecher issue, I feel it would be difficult to implement a penalizing system that would be fair. There are times in which I've had to genuinely AFK for a small amount of time during a match (that couldn't have been avoided, and I went back to participating as soon as I could). While situations like that not a common instance, having a system in place to prevent leechers from earning rewards would be troublesome to keep fair, or would be easy to get around.
There have been some instances that, after a match, I see a person who had leeched in the match I just left. I've queued right when I get out of my match, then see them in my next Arena as soon as I'm queued. While I can wait a few minutes to hopefully get a different group, much like SkyeAnn suggested, it doesn't solve the root of the problem; the AFKer is certainly present, or they can't get into matches to leech from. (This is why I'm calling them leechers; despite how they act they're not always AFK.) Having a timeout window, one to confirm entry into a match or not (if you don't click the button in the time period, you wouldn't be able to enter your queued match), WOULD be useful, but it won't prevent every leech.

I hope this provides some food for thought, even though it isn't much. :/

Valkita

Rank 2
Valkita
PostedDec 11, 2012 11:58 pm
Pretty in-depth o_o

I wish people would have more fun with MBA, and leave the more serious PvP to 3 x 3. Some of the best times in MBA is when we get 6 players who just want to fave fun and derp around X3 (and have a lively zone chat)

Of course, I know some are there to win Razz and whole time factor and everything... (I suppose they have a point too.)

Val

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedDec 12, 2012 5:19 am
Valkita wrote:
Pretty in-depth o_o

I wish people would have more fun with MBA, and leave the more serious PvP to 3 x 3. Some of the best times in MBA is when we get 6 players who just want to fave fun and derp around X3 (and have a lively zone chat)

Of course, I know some are there to win Razz and whole time factor and everything... (I suppose they have a point too.)

Val  

People tend to have less fun if they kill themselves really quick cause they dont know you need to watch out for debuffs, or how to counter attack slidecasting effects.
I have most of my fun in MBA when i (have to) solo it to win, though depending on the other team a bit as well how much fun it is.

@ main topic
Some better balancing should be in order to make MBA more fun for all lvls, cause i notice that its harder for lower lvls to hit lvl 70's. But imo the balancing inst in the monster equality and lvl equality, more would be reached in making actual equality between all lvls by no skill scaling to lvl (so fixed amount of dot and dmg) and giving more stats to a lvl 30 player trough the weapon then a max lvl player (reversed legacy stuff kinda) so they get about equal stats.

Also I wonder how you got to that list from strongest to weakest, cause from what i see you sorted it more on single skills while MBA doesnt depend on smashing skill buttons. For example: Robo has a killing aoe if you use the right skill combo, Jiro's healing skill gives high attack speed tearing the other person apart if used right, Dana can half your hp with 2 skills (making her the strongest imo + her ranged skill is spammable).

TymonTheThief

Rank 0
TymonTheThief
PostedDec 12, 2012 5:01 pm
In my opinion the main problem with monster battle arena are people who abuse slidecasting. This literally glitches the game up and makes that player COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to hit with melee skills. If they fix this, then getting melee monsters and fighting nothing but ranged people really won't be too bad if you've got a higher movement speed than them. I've had numerous occasions where, in all likelihood I could have wiped the floor with a person using a melee monster, but because of the bullcrap slidecast glitch, all I get is 'target too far' errors, which result in me being entirely unable to hit him. And no, there IS no way to work around this error either. Move to where they really are (follow the pet in other words) use skill, your character runs to where their sprites appear, and you get 'target too far' And also, as far as your calculations... Totally wrong. herak is easily the weakest monster period as far as skillsets go. Juan at least has a ranged stun aoe. Herak is absolutely pure melee. And jiro has a self heal as well. And Guillame can be very very very useful. You can lower a person's core stats to -100%. getting hit for 100-200 damage in MBA is lulzworthy xD

jayzord1

Rank 0
PostedDec 12, 2012 6:10 pm
TymonTheThief wrote:
In my opinion the main problem with monster battle arena are people who abuse slidecasting. This literally glitches the game up and makes that player COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to hit with melee skills. If they fix this, then getting melee monsters and fighting nothing but ranged people really won't be too bad if you've got a higher movement speed than them. I've had numerous occasions where, in all likelihood I could have wiped the floor with a person using a melee monster, but because of the bullcrap slidecast glitch, all I get is 'target too far' errors, which result in me being entirely unable to hit him. And no, there IS no way to work around this error either. Move to where they really are (follow the pet in other words) use skill, your character runs to where their sprites appear, and you get 'target too far' And also, as far as your calculations... Totally wrong. herak is easily the weakest monster period as far as skillsets go. Juan at least has a ranged stun aoe. Herak is absolutely pure melee. And jiro has a self heal as well. And Guillame can be very very very useful. You can lower a person's core stats to -100%. getting hit for 100-200 damage in MBA is lulzworthy xD  

u can reset there position by pressing esc and re-target if they slide casting so keep pressing esc (to remove ur target) when ever they slide cast this is the only way a melee can hit slide casters ( movespeed is really important on mba)

Rimstock

Rank 0
PostedDec 12, 2012 7:03 pm
Easy way to fix the afker issue- Do no damage/ No heals/ Cast no spells you get no reward, simple to work around but would force an action out of them. And say divide the reward and have to do something in each round with the countdown included so that you can buff yourself and even if your 1 hit you get the reward

TymonTheThief

Rank 0
TymonTheThief
PostedDec 12, 2012 7:30 pm
jayzord1 wrote:

u can reset there position by pressing esc and re-target if they slide casting so keep pressing esc (to remove ur target) when ever they slide cast this is the only way a melee can hit slide casters ( movespeed is really important on mba)  

Does not work. As I said, their in game sprites appear in a different location than they actually are at. I have tried multiple 'suggestions' to get around this and absolutely none of them work. There really is no way around it if a person is a heavy slidecaster.