chinnnc

Rank 4
chinnnc
PostedDec 08, 2012 11:18 am

Debate Thread: Is Obesity a disease?

So I was reading some FmyLife stories the other day and stumbled upon this

I thought it was interesting and wanted to discuss it.

In my personal opinion, it's not a disease or a condition. It's a choice. An obese person may be influenced psychologically to eat such foods, but they have the capability to reduce themselves from eating them. It's rather an excuse.
Advertisement

xybolt

Rank 5.2
xybolt
PostedDec 09, 2012 10:44 am
(s)he should reply with " standing up will provide you more benefit then sitting " then.

I should be careful with that term though. A small part of that group has this due of medical problem ( a known example is (night) eating syndrome where the person is consuming food without to know it ) But for the rest, it is ofc partially a matter of choice, but also a matter of life style.

a scientific research has reported that ppl with low salary has almost double higher chance to get obesity towards people with decent/higher salary ( towards average ). Companies like McDonald's and KFC are using "forcing consumption" marketing strategy to provide cheap food, and yet those ppl are being more attracted to this because they couldn't afford food variation, couldn't get more£/equal consumption feeling for same cost and other things.

a small addition ; there was a movie in the past where a person is going to consume only McDonald's food for a month long ( Super Size Me ). The result of this behavior is quite disastrous ... Not to mention that there are ppl which is doing this for years.

To not forget, besides food consumption as main factor, not enough movement is also a factor which leads to having obesity. If there is no medical cause for it, then it's not a disease because it's caused by the person itself.

signature of xybolt

ijjidark

Rank 2
ijjidark
PostedDec 12, 2012 10:37 am
Obesity occurs when your body consumes more calories than it burns. In my opinion; obesity is not a disability - I believe it is caused by making poor decisions, and a lack of education. Let's compare McDonald's vs. Subway: you can purchase a Big Mac combo for approximately $8.00 or for $3.00 less - you can purchase a foot long sub for $5.00 as advertised. Unless the obesity is caused by another disease that conflicts with their nutrition, their ability to exercise, or unless they have extreme financial issues; there is no valid excuse for being lazy.