Author Message

slimeyava

Rank 3
slimeyava
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Posts
1231
Location
United States
PostedDec 03, 2012 5:37 am

New graphics card

I was thinking about getting a 120 hz monitor but.... it seems tough because the one for 200$ on sale just went out of sale and my parents didnt get it yet.

Also lately I had been getting 180-250 fps, but then I changed the filters to x16 for both of them because I realized I needed to. But now I get 80-180 fps! Way too low.

So what GPU could I get to maintain the x16 filters and 3.0 shader model, high character detail, and shadows with more than 200 fps? I have a intel i7 quadcore 2.93 GHz with 4 GB of ram. I don't think those matter as much as the GPU?

Anyway for under 250$ what GPU for x16 filters and 250 or more fps?

EDIT: Btw I have a GTX 465 right now.
Advertisement

SgtGrunt

Rank 0
SgtGrunt
Joined
25 Jul 2012
Posts
153
Location
United Arab Emirates
PostedDec 03, 2012 6:14 am
HD 7870. Fits the $250 mark.

I like bacon.

Raz0rY

Rank 0
Raz0rY
Joined
18 Nov 2011
Posts
187
Location
Netherlands
PostedDec 03, 2012 6:26 am

Re: New graphics card

slimeyava wrote:
I was thinking about getting a 120 hz monitor but.... it seems tough because the one for 200$ on sale just went out of sale and my parents didnt get it yet.

Also lately I had been getting 180-250 fps, but then I changed the filters to x16 for both of them because I realized I needed to. But now I get 80-180 fps! Way too low.

So what GPU could I get to maintain the x16 filters and 3.0 shader model, high character detail, and shadows with more than 200 fps? I have a intel i7 quadcore 2.93 GHz with 4 GB of ram. I don't think those matter as much as the GPU?

Anyway for under 250$ what GPU for x16 filters and 250 or more fps?

EDIT: Btw I have a GTX 465 right now.  


Wait what, 80-180 fps isn't way too low. Your game runs decent with 60 fps and good with 90 fps. I really don't see any differences between 90 fps and 200 fps. I play with 30 fps which is a big difference. This kind of threads make me really sad, ppl being unhappy with a good graphic card..

lmBeastly

Rank 0
Joined
08 Oct 2012
Posts
102
Location
Canada
PostedDec 03, 2012 6:55 am
Radeon 7870 can easily do what you're looking for.

JazonVoorheeS

Rank 2
JazonVoorheeS
Joined
27 Sep 2012
Posts
756
Location
Austria
PostedDec 03, 2012 10:36 am
First of all, i wouldnt even pay 10 just to get more than 80 FPS since 80 FPS are just fine. Also i dont get why you removed the FPS limit, its just stressing your computer more and has only downsides in my opinion.

Olissipo

Rank 0
Olissipo
Joined
01 Mar 2012
Posts
93
Location
Portugal
PostedDec 03, 2012 11:02 am
JazonVoorheeS wrote:
First of all, i wouldnt even pay 10 just to get more than 80 FPS since 80 FPS are just fine. Also i dont get why you removed the FPS limit, its just stressing your computer more and has only downsides in my opinion.  


For a 120hz monitor you need twice as much fps. If for a 60hz monitor you say 80 fps are enough to play smoothly, then he would need 160 fps...


HD7870 is fine, I got one and max out AVA with 1080p having 130-170 fps. Taking shadows off and i get 160-200fps (limited to 200 fps)

whoiskangaru

Rank 4
whoiskangaru
Joined
05 Nov 2012
Posts
3196
Location
Work Camp #22 Korea, North
PostedDec 03, 2012 11:07 am
7870s can run ava at 200fps

just turn down anti aliasing.

m4a1mk3power wrote:
No Kang thread should be locked or closed I said that very line as a gs too!!! Kang is the king get over it

TheNiinja21

Rank 3
Joined
21 Sep 2012
Posts
1203
Location
Seattle United States
PostedDec 03, 2012 11:13 am
Upgrade your HDD and RAM first of all. And for the GPU, you should go for HD 6950/6970. 7870 will do it as well but it is more expensive.

I am the Surgicall.

Olissipo

Rank 0
Olissipo
Joined
01 Mar 2012
Posts
93
Location
Portugal
PostedDec 03, 2012 1:14 pm
whoiskangaru wrote:
7870s can run ava at 200fps

just turn down anti aliasing.  


No need to... 2GB of Vram is plenty for all AVA filters in 1080p

chinnnc

Rank 4
chinnnc
Joined
05 Jan 2012
Posts
1616
Location
Boston, Massachusetts United States
PostedDec 03, 2012 1:18 pm
it also puts me down that i used to get much higher fps on AVA when i first built my pc

you can get a GTX 660. but if I were you, i'd spend a little more for a 660 ti
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: