dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 03, 2012 12:14 am

Port Forwarding through Router and VPN

need port numbers
I've been looking into how to run Shaiya through my VPN with the port forwarding numbers 30800 and 30810 to no avail. Have the numbers changed or are there new ports running now that haven't been updated in the forums or something? I can run fine without the VPN but I'd rather have the use of it like I do with all my other games and programs. Shaiya seems to be the only one that doesn't run now with the VPN on.
Advertisement

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedDec 03, 2012 6:35 pm
You shouldn't need port forwarding in order to play Shaiya. Port forwarding is for directing traffic that is initiated outside your firewall when you are hosting something (like a web site, a minecraft server, peer to peer software etc).
For traffic that you initiate (web requests, game play etc) the network address translation in your router should handle it accordingly.

My guess would be that there is something else about your setup that is preventing Shaiya from working. Could you give us a bit more information to try and figure it out?

- What exactly do you mean by VPN?
- What is your network configuration?
- What router are you using?
- What do you mean when you say you can run fine without the VPN?

RIP Kizzd

dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 04, 2012 12:33 am
MerlinMcTav wrote:
You shouldn't need port forwarding in order to play Shaiya. Port forwarding is for directing traffic that is initiated outside your firewall when you are hosting something (like a web site, a minecraft server, peer to peer software etc).
For traffic that you initiate (web requests, game play etc) the network address translation in your router should handle it accordingly.

My guess would be that there is something else about your setup that is preventing Shaiya from working. Could you give us a bit more information to try and figure it out?

- What exactly do you mean by VPN?
Virtual Private Network

- What is your network configuration?
I'm just running through an ADSL to a router then the VPN service that I run through.

- What router are you using?
I'm using a Cisco router

- What do you mean when you say you can run fine without the VPN?
When the VPN service is turned off I can run Shaiya without any problems but with the VPN service turned on, I can't connect to the server at all as if I'm offline or something.

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedDec 04, 2012 3:42 am
I know what VPN stands for, that wasn't what I was asking Smile
A VPN allows computers that are not connected physically to act as if they are.
My work runs a VPN.
I connect to my ISP, then through the VPN software provided by my work I connect to my work's VPN so I can access the work LAN as if my home PC was physically connected to that network.
But my standard internet access is still through my ISP.

What is the purpose of your VPN?
Why are you trying to connect to Shaiya through your VPN instead of just through your ISP? I can't see that this would give you any advantage over going direct.
Normally when you run VPN software it creates a virtual network card/address entirely separate to your physical network card. If you go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG you should see (at least) two Ethernet connections - 1 for your network card and 1 for your VPN.

Also, what do you see if you go to your "Network and Sharing Centre"?

RIP Kizzd

dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 04, 2012 4:38 am
The purpose of my VPN is to keep my data safe since I do work from home and my wonderful ISP seems to be sniffing my line which makes me a little more than uncomfortable. If I'm not running through my VPN I feel vulnerable if I have to switch it off to play shaiya especially if I'm doing some kind of transfer to or from one of my clients as I'm playing.

When I look through my Network and Sharing, the basic information tells me I'm not connected to the internet, I'm assuming this is because of the VPN connection, but the active networks look fine and say I'm connected just fine. What it seems like to me is that the local machine (shaiya) is looking for a connection to the internet and not finding one but that doesn't make any sense to me if I can browse the web and get on other game servers just fine, even ones running Havok.

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedDec 04, 2012 6:19 pm
Okay, when I am not running my VPN my network and sharing centre looks like this:

When I am running my VPN it looks like this:

If I run an ipconfig it looks like this (with all identifying info blacked out):

You will note that I have internet connectivity through my ISP even when I am running the VPN.
Can you let us know how yours looks so we can try & work out what is going on please?

dorian.lanzius wrote:
When I look through my Network and Sharing, the basic information tells me I'm not connected to the internet, I'm assuming this is because of the VPN connection, but the active networks look fine and say I'm connected just fine. What it seems like to me is that the local machine (shaiya) is looking for a connection to the internet and not finding one but that doesn't make any sense to me if I can browse the web and get on other game servers just fine, even ones running Havok.  
If your work VPN is providing internet access that would explain this, and could also explain why Shaiya doesn't work - if your work is blocking the traffic.

RIP Kizzd

dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 06, 2012 6:54 am
Mine looks the same except with the VPN on, between "multiple networks" and "internet" there's a red X. The other difference I see is that on the ipconfig, where your "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" is, mine only says "Media State....:Media Disconnected" and "Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :" is blank. Maybe that's where the problem resides?

dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 06, 2012 7:02 am
oh sorry that's an unused connection I can't delete for some reason, on the ipconfig it's pretty much the same. How do I get a screenshot up on here?

dorian.lanzius

Rank 0
PostedDec 06, 2012 7:06 am
please let me know which things I need to black out as well before I post the ipconfig