How would you rate Aeria Games Service?

5 (Excellent)
13%50 Votes
4
17%65 Votes
3
15%57 Votes
2
11%41 Votes
1 (Poor)
41%149 Votes
Total Votes :: 362 Votes
Author Message

LilianMcK

Rank 4
LilianMcK
Joined
12 Jun 2008
Posts
3111
Location
United Kingdom
PostedDec 02, 2012 3:06 pm
Gave a 1 again. Still seeing gs abuse and bad behaviour although this has improved slightly overall. However I still believe we have many good gs who are starting to come to the fore again, so hopefully this is a sign of further improvements. However my main concern is we have almost non existant GM presence now for LC and lost a decent gm to a new game. We needed her and I am starting to feel that LC is at the bottom of some pile.

I dont blame the GMs for this as I know many are doing work covering many games. I blame management for allowing this to happen.

A diluted service over many games.

Advertisement

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Posts
4050
Location
United Kingdom
PostedDec 02, 2012 5:32 pm
I'd like to add, with regard to paypal payments, that having the auto-recharge feature selected by default is both sneaky and underhanded. So many people don't see it, and it's just plain bad business to effectively trick people in to buying more AP.

<center></center>

Superiorest

Rank 0
Joined
17 Sep 2012
Posts
64
Location
United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 5:33 pm
spacefire11 wrote:
Shyia got big problems it's looks like


And the new games from ijji is getting better  


Gunz was better with ijji.

AKFrost

Rank 5
Joined
10 Jan 2008
Posts
4860
Location
Berkeley United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 5:39 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:
I'd like to add, with regard to paypal payments, that having the auto-recharge feature selected by default is both sneaky and underhanded. So many people don't see it, and it's just plain bad business to effectively trick people in to buying more AP.  


eh, this is typical of most businesses here.

BART parking, for example, only offers recurring monthly. You have to manually cancel before you're billed for the next month (which is the 15th on the month before) in order to not get charged.

Mind, if you only want it for one month, you have to cancel before they even send you your "official" parking permit, and of course, you'll have to mail it back once you receive it, within 10 days or they'll charge you for another month.

There's nothing really "underhanded" about what aeria is doing in this part, mostly because enough businesses do it so you kinda have to watch out for it.

yaynot

Rank 2
yaynot
Joined
30 Sep 2009
Posts
475
Location
United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 6:20 pm
sIink wrote:
As for the recent bans due to "high risk accounts" well, i'd rather see people need to do a simple Account Recovery ticket for this, than for it to be due to a hack. It's a pain, yes, but certainly less messy than security risks.  

I would prefer they had protections in place that didn't require accounts being inaccessible.

I've had my accounts blocked from perceived intruder attempts. And, yes, I absolutely appreciate Aeria are there with a final line of defense to protect my account. Bravo on that. But when my account(s) is(are) closed to me based on something that might happen, it feels pretty much the same on my end. Either way, I can't play until I jump through a bunch of hoops, waiting on ticket times that I am now currently adding to.

sIink wrote:
There are literally people asking for Aeria to take their money. While i totally appreciate security being top priority, it seems that next priority should be to make it easy for people to spend their money.  


I agree with your point about the billing issues: It should be made easy for users to spend their money.
In my particular beef with Aeria this month : It should be made easy for users to maintain access to their accounts.

They kind of go hand-in-hand, wouldn't you say? lol

Chicken Little was right, you know.

lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
Joined
24 Nov 2007
Posts
1282
Location
United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 6:49 pm
AKFrost wrote:
 


I'mma just leave this here. Don't mind me.

"Informed Consent -
Consent given with full knowledge of the risks involved, probable consequences, and the alternatives."

So, one could argue that by not making it obvious, or even known in most cases, to their customers that their accounts will recharge AP automatically after falling below a certain balance, they are actually charging these people without acquiring their express consent to do so. Having a box checked automatically without the person doing so or even realizing it is NOT gaining willfull consent to be charged that amount.

Do you have any idea the amount of pissed off or upset players that have been charged over $100 several times without realizing what was happening? It was a very common thing to witness in Eden Eternal, and I saw it many many times. Sorry, but if I purchase a service from a company, and they automatically charge me again without my knowledge, I'm going to be pretty upset.

It doesn't matter whether other companies do it or not. That's equivalent to jumping off a bridge and blaming the other people that jumped along with you for the reason that you did it in the first place. It's still shady and dishonest business dealings, and it basically boils down to Aeria tricking their customers in order to get more money from them.

AKFrost

Rank 5
Joined
10 Jan 2008
Posts
4860
Location
Berkeley United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 7:04 pm
lestat_anil wrote:
 


I wasn't using BART for nothing, they took $84 from me before I realized what's going on as well. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it. The Terms of Service are worded so that it's your responsibility to figure out what "recurring" means.

I mean, "nobody reads the ToS" isn't exactly defensible anywhere. You affirmed that you read it when you made your account.

I know it's easier to blame the big guy, but if you're going to make a $100 purchase, one'd think you'd be extra careful and check twice before actually making it. If you're not going to be responsible with your money, why should other people be responsible for it?

Also, when I made a new account and went to billing, the default is "Credit Card", not paypal recurring, so I'm not even sure where this argument is coming from.

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Posts
4050
Location
United Kingdom
PostedDec 02, 2012 7:07 pm
AKFrost wrote:
lestat_anil wrote:
 


I wasn't using BART for nothing, they took $84 from me before I realized what's going on as well. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it. The Terms of Service are worded so that it's your responsibility to figure out what "recurring" means.

I mean, "nobody reads the ToS" isn't exactly defensible anywhere. You affirmed that you read it when you made your account.

I know it's easier to blame the big guy, but if you're going to make a $100 purchase, one'd think you'd be extra careful and check twice before actually making it. If you're not going to be responsible with your money, why should other people be responsible for it?

Also, when I made a new account and went to billing, the default is "Credit Card", not paypal recurring, so I'm not even sure where this argument is coming from.  


Even a standard paypal payment still has the auto recharge option selected by default

<center></center>

AKFrost

Rank 5
Joined
10 Jan 2008
Posts
4860
Location
Berkeley United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 7:15 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:


Even a standard paypal payment still has the auto recharge option selected by default  


the option right above the proceed button which you should be able to see when you navigate to it? I mean, it's not exactly hidden. You're practically forced to look at it if you want to buy anything.

And again, if you're so cavalier with your money as to spam click through everything without reading, why should aeria be responsible for that?

(Of course, since you're already selecting a non-default option "paypal express", you can't exactly even claim that you're not paying attention. You clearly paid enough attention to see something even smaller.)

lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
Joined
24 Nov 2007
Posts
1282
Location
United States
PostedDec 02, 2012 7:19 pm
AKFrost wrote:
 


Referring to this.

There was a time when that space was occupied with the balance of how many reward points you are going to get.

I'm not claiming Aeria is 'responsible' as you so claim. However, the fact that they do it, have it automatically selected, is the point that I'm arguing is immoral. If you're going to have the option, don't automatically have it selected. I'm VERY careful with my AP purchases, when I still made them (lol) and even I missed this a few times. It DOES happen, Frost, not everyone stops and stares at each window for a full minute and reads everything, especially when they've been buying AP for years and this is a recently new addition in comparison.

When you aren't used to something being there, you forget to look for it sometimes.
Display posts from previous:   Sort by: