rugrog

Rank 2
rugrog
PostedNov 23, 2012 8:57 am

If Shaiya was a restaurant...

How long would they expect to be in bussiness, if

#1, You never knew when they might close at a unsheduled time (Server Crash)

#2, Got your order wrong (GM Links)

#3, When the customers asked not to be given something, but they forced it on them (80 gear and more end game pvp maps)

#4, Instead of giving them what they have asked for (New content for anyone but the end game)

#5, The CEO's ,(GM / PM ), dont listen and take away all power from branch managers, (GS), to the point that most quit

#6 All you had to chose from was the same old dried up, spoiled stuff

#7 All the new items were way over priced and only available to the rich ( AP Items)

#8 They closed all other branchs and forced to you eat in one place so over full at times that it broke out the windows (GRB )

#9 You pay for items and they lose them ( Crashes )

#10 Was infested with bugs

Advertisement

GMLeo

GameMaster: USA
GMLeo
PostedNov 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: If Shaiya was a restaurant...

I do love a good analogy.

Here's a post of mine that you might appreciate, as it fits within your analogy of a restaurant.

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?p=14569473#14569473

Now, I'd like to quote your post and give my thoughts on each point.

rugrog wrote:

A server crash would be similar to something like a kitchen fire. In our cases, most of the "fires" are caused by faulty equipment provided to us by corporate (the developers). "Corporate" also do not provide the instructions on how to fix the equipment and in most cases restrict us from modifying anything to prevent future "fires."

This one is on us. We make mistakes, just like waiters and waitresses do in your favorite restaurants. We do correct the errors when we are made aware of them, but in our defense, we do have a complicated menu of selections with many customizable options.

#3, When the customers asked not to be given something, but they forced it on them (80 gear and more end game pvp maps)

#4, Instead of giving them what they have asked for (New content for anyone but the end game)

3 and 4 are similar so I'll answer them together. Corporate (Developers) determine what goes on the menu and what is provided to our "kitchen." If they tell us we have to make it, or that we can't make a certain dish anymore, then we can't go against them.

#5, The CEO's ,(GM / PM ), dont listen and take away all power from branch managers, (GS), to the point that most quit

The "CEO's" in this analogy are much higher than GM/PM's. Here's how it would break down in an actual restaurant -

Corporate Office (CEO's)- Developers/Aeria Management
Restaurant Manager/Shift Managers - PMs
Wait/Kitchen Staff - GMs
Bussers/Stockers - GSes

See my response to numbers 3 and 4

#7 All the new items were way over priced and only available to the rich ( AP Items)

#8 They closed all other branchs and forced to you eat in one place so over full at times that it broke out the windows (GRB )

Again, see my response to numbers 3 and 4

See my response to number 1

Again, see my response to number 1  

I'm not blaming the developers for everything on this list. The errors we make with the GM Services are usually entirely on us to fix, but we do provide all the rules and formats necessary to ensure that you guys have the tools to get the info to us.

I just wanted to clarify your analogy a bit and clear up some misconceptions. As much as I wish GMs/PMs were the "CEO's" of this organization, that's simply just not true.

Thanks for reading Smile

rugrog

Rank 2
rugrog
PostedNov 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: If Shaiya was a restaurant...

GMLeo wrote:
I do love a good analogy.

Here's a post of mine that you might appreciate, as it fits within your analogy of a restaurant.

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?p=14569473#14569473

Now, I'd like to quote your post and give my thoughts on each point.

rugrog wrote:

A server crash would be similar to something like a kitchen fire. In our cases, most of the "fires" are caused by faulty equipment provided to us by corporate (the developers). "Corporate" also do not provide the instructions on how to fix the equipment and in most cases restrict us from modifying anything to prevent future "fires."

If the place catchs fire ever week, the end result will still be lost customers.

This one is on us. We make mistakes, just like waiters and waitresses do in your favorite restaurants. We do correct the errors when we are made aware of them, but in our defense, we do have a complicated menu of selections with many customizable options.

But when you are told to NEVER give out steaks when someone orders a hamberger...

3 and 4 are similar so I'll answer them together. Corporate (Developers) determine what goes on the menu and what is provided to our "kitchen." If they tell us we have to make it, or that we can't make a certain dish anymore, then we can't go against them.

Same end result, not laying blame anywhere or point a finger at anyone, but still same end result happens

The "CEO's" in this analogy are much higher than GM/PM's. Here's how it would break down in an actual restaurant -

Corporate Office (CEO's)- Developers/Aeria Management
Restaurant Manager/Shift Managers - PMs
Wait/Kitchen Staff - GMs
Bussers/Stockers - GSes

As things are now, GS used to be looked up by both players and GM's in a much better light and with more say so.

Again, see my response to numbers 3 and 4

See my response to number 1

Again, see my response to number 1  

I'm not blaming the developers for everything on this list. The errors we make with the GM Services are usually entirely on us to fix, but we do provide all the rules and formats necessary to ensure that you guys have the tools to get the info to us.

I just wanted to clarify your analogy a bit and clear up some misconceptions. As much as I wish GMs/PMs were the "CEO's" of this organization, that's simply just not true.

Thanks for reading Smile

In the end Im not saying who did what, just how this game has been run and the end result

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedNov 23, 2012 5:53 pm
One by one, any company might be able to survive these. Having them all stacked together is starting to look as trustworthy as the bridge of Exxon Valdez. What I am saying, Leo, is that the cumulative effect of the things Rugrog listed is killing whatever fun there was left in the game for the majority.

People don't get a helping hand from Aeria.

There's hardly events anymore, due to a neutered GS team and a lack of GM time. Monster Madness, to name an example, has remained essentially unchanged for well over a year.

Ticket handling is a shambles due to decisions made by the Shaiya PM team to introduce more and more items requiring manual handling.

The AP gap is wider than ever. Double OJ is but the latest. And a 90k AP EoM? Come on.

The economy is still in the drain.

There are STILL no tweaks to the drop tables for the lower zones.

There are STILL no items that were long since obsolete as AP items that are allowed to drop ingame.

You STILL have not managed to get Nexon to fix the GRBs, ruining the fun of the peak time of the week.

You fail to satisfy on a wide swathe of areas. People don't find it funny. People are not having fun. People are HOPING there might be fun, but we've had promises of more fun to be had, and they've all come with a price tag. Name TWO things we've been given over the last TWO years that has contributed to INCREASE the fun and playability of the game to the MAJORITY of the players, Leo. TWO things.

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.

twigz12

Rank 3
twigz12
PostedNov 23, 2012 6:35 pm
billdoor wrote:
People don't find it funny. People are not having fun.  

i wasn't going to reply, but seeing this is in R&R why not!

Speak for yourself SE, im having plenty of fun with this. Infact sometimes i had to go a week or two before there was something interesting happening on the forums. These days every day is entertaining!!! Server crashes, rollbacks, losing GRB data, Tickets taking 2 weeks to answer, PMs adding more and more and more items to EoM, adding more placeholders even though tickets take 2 weeks, people complaining about imbalance, people complaining about almost everything, omg i could go on and on. You dont think this is funny?

you are not worthy to see this signature

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedNov 23, 2012 6:40 pm
twigz12 wrote:
billdoor wrote:
People don't find it funny. People are not having fun.  

i wasn't going to reply, but seeing this is in R&R why not!

Speak for yourself SE, im having plenty of fun with this. Infact sometimes i had to go a week or two before there was something interesting happening on the forums. These days every day is entertaining!!! Server crashes, rollbacks, losing GRB data, Tickets taking 2 weeks to answer, PMs adding more and more and more items to EoM, adding more placeholders even though tickets take 2 weeks, people complaining about imbalance, people complaining about almost everything, omg i could go on and on. You dont think this is funny?  

Of course I do at times, but for all the wrong reasons. Wink

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.

glapfir

Rank 1
PostedNov 23, 2012 9:51 pm
if shaiya was a restaurant it would have been shut down long ago by the health department for having too many bugs Smile

natascha1977

Rank 4
natascha1977
PostedNov 24, 2012 6:37 pm
restaurant staff needs a good union to complain to.

glapfir

Rank 1
PostedNov 24, 2012 9:31 pm
corporate may call the shots but it`s aeria`s reputation that is on the line and suffering because of the shots that corporate are calling.

corporate can`t force aeria to continue to distribute the game, aeria has some power here, they can tell the developer that all the unresolved problems with the game are hurting aeria`s reputation and that if the problems aren`t fixed that aeria doesn`t want to distribute the game anymore to protect aeria`s reputation.

at the very least aeria could win some leeway from the developer by informing the developer that aeria`s reputation is being damaged by the actions and inactions of the developer.

all games die eventually but thats no reason to let the death of shaiya kill aerias reputation as a game distributor/publisher.

Killa_1112

Rank 5.1
Killa_1112
PostedNov 25, 2012 2:42 am
More to the point Aeria needs to sort out its future contracts with the devs in order to give THEM some power.

If their contract gives them 0 power then they need to change it, that simple.

- Courtesy of the Great Avyn