Author Message

rimotrian1

Rank 0
rimotrian1
Joined
18 May 2007
Posts
55
Location
Austin United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Opinions and criticisms

from a hardcore, die-hard mmofan's viewpoint.
So, like most of the really hardcore players out there, me and my friend pretty much hit 35 in two days. These are merely my opinions and my criticism alone, most of which will probably be negative. If you don't like it, then feel free to stop reading now. The reason why I'm not going to go into too much detail on the more positive aspects is because they're pretty common things that I feel any successful MMO should have.

Just like most of the free to play MMO's, leveling the early stages go by pretty **** fast. I hit cap in AIKA in a day. Prius in 2 days. Neosteam 3 days. etc. (open beta cap, mind you.) I can't really judge the game completely, because I mean, really, it's only closed beta. The game isn't even open beta or live yet. But there are SOME things that I REALLY dislike. For example:

PVP. What interested me most about the game was that there was going to be multiple ways that I could challenge myself in PVP. I was sad to see that there wasn't even a dueling system where I could gauge my skills against a few friends. That was a pretty big let down.

RVR. It doesn't help that Eos was severely lacking in players. The very first RVR me and watter went to, it was 6 vs 2. Probably us vs Final. The second one was 10 vs 4. The third was probably 20 vs 7-8ish. I had fun in the most previous RVR, but only due to the fact that I could charge into their entire realm who were spawn camping us and break through their line and escape out the back. But seriously, who likes losing that hard? There was literally zero chance that we could win. This is probably because the hardcore guilds all went Dione. (Final and Requiem from my knowledge) and left only us in Eos. The only other semi-active guild I noticed in Eos was Mostwanted? I think that's their name.

What I'm getting at here is that there should be way more emphasis on choosing your camp since it's such a big impact on how the game is played. A simple talk to NPC and pay 10k or however much it was to choose your realm shouldn't be allowed. There should be more depth, and much more clarity on just how big of an impact on the server it's going to be. (Like I said, the game is still new and there might be room for improvement.)

--------I also think there should be more emphasis on just when RVR takes place. That way people have more room to prepare.

Playerbase. Something I aim to be is the best on my server. I thrive on competition and that's where I derive my enjoyment from. The fact that there was never more than maybe a couple hundred players on at any given time was really boring. Now that we're cap there's really nothing to do. I think incorporating some sort of OPEN PVP against realms would be nice. That way it gives us something to do. y'know, roam around and look for Dione's to kill. In that sense, I suppose it would be sort of broken. There would always be the noobs who went and farmed the lower levels. Maybe some sort of limit? In general, the OPEN PVP just plain sucks.

You literally have to OPT IN (I find that a horrible mechanic in general) to PVP and EVEN THEN there is a penalty from what I understand. The opt in system is just plain garbage. The penalty I don't mind so much. Maybe not as severe? If there is going to be PK, it shouldn't be opt in. Players should be able to kill whoever they want, with a certain consequence.

Item crafting and upgrading. From what I could tell, blueprints were completely useless and not even worth picking up. You spend an hour or three grinding and you'd have a blue that was much better. After grinding to 35 you have 700k+ and blues sell for around 50-80k ish. Which makes them stupidly easy to get a hold of. All in all, the crafting really is useless. The only thing I found remotely useful was being able to craft speed pots with crystals. Even then, it was stupidly easy. 50 gold for an empty bottle and 3-5 crystals? :/

I just didn't like the lackluster crafting system in general. Maybe that's just me, though. I really enjoy the hassle of having to find rare materials and using them to craft an item that may or may not have good stats. This also gives us end game users more things to do. Again, I know it's CBT but still, most of the other F2P MMO's that I ended up playing into open beta had triple the content and five times the active players. All of this just really turns me away from spending any sort of time into the game.

Most of you say closed beta is for finding bugs/glitches, etc. But, for many, it's about preparing your guild, scoping out the good players and finding out ways to better yourself so that when open beta roles around you're in the race to becoming a top player. Like I said, I thrive on conflict and more importantly competition.

With that being said, the castle siege looks promising. Still, the ten man player limit on a guild at level 1 seems redundant. Maybe 30-40 player limit and bump it up by 10-20 players per level. You can't even call 10 players a guild. Seriously, that's a party and a half. A GM did mention to me that they were probably going to fix this in an upcoming patch. By all means, do it. You guys rock if so.

The skills in the game were all very nice to watch. But the FPS in the game REALLY stunk. Like, REALLY. I've never played a game where I could put all settings to low and still barely play at a solid ten FPS. Even on minimum spec mode, I would be getting a max of 20 FPS and when more than three or four players were on the screen it dropped back down to 10 FPS. That's just horrid. My PC isn't even that bad. I've been able to play all other mmo's with at least a solid 30 FPS and I play LoL with 60 with all high settings. I don't know if it's just me, but from what I can tell others are also having a pretty big issue with FPS lag.

To be completely honest, I'm bored and have nothing else to do at the moment. I've probably ranted on for way to long here and it would be naive of me to expect many to really read the entire thing through. I've been searching for a semi-decent MMO to put me and my guild to trials with for the longest time now. I like the game and enjoyed playing it but it will need soooo much more for me to actually consider "no-lifing" it. Just some thoughts from some random player in hopes that you guys might better the game some how. So far, it just doesn't live up to even my ridiculously low standards.

inb4 tl;dr. inb4 op can't inb4.
Advertisement

mu0731n

Rank 0
Joined
29 Feb 2008
Posts
30
Location
tamps United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:13 pm
First.

rimotrian1

Rank 0
rimotrian1
Joined
18 May 2007
Posts
55
Location
Austin United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:18 pm
mu0731n wrote:
First.  

<3

synster14

Rank 3
synster14
Joined
11 Jan 2008
Posts
969
Location
Pits of Despair United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Opinions and criticisms

from a hardcore, die-hard mmofan's viewpoint.
rimotrian1 wrote:

RVR. It doesn't help that Eos was severely lacking in players. The very first RVR me and watter went to, it was 6 vs 2. Probably us vs Final. The second one was 10 vs 4. The third was probably 20 vs 7-8ish. I had fun in the most previous RVR, but only due to the fact that I could charge into their entire realm who were spawn camping us and break through their line and escape out the back. But seriously, who likes losing that hard? There was literally zero chance that we could win. This is probably because the hardcore guilds all went Dione. (Final and Requiem from my knowledge)  





Sorry?
But I agree with you, I wish there was more to do with PvP!

rimotrian1

Rank 0
rimotrian1
Joined
18 May 2007
Posts
55
Location
Austin United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Opinions and criticisms

from a hardcore, die-hard mmofan's viewpoint.
synster14 wrote:

Sorry?
But I agree with you, I wish there was more to do with PvP!  


Yeah, definitely not your fault. I'm not mad or anything. Nothing you can really do when more people choose one side than another. Thanks for the read.

mu0731n

Rank 0
Joined
29 Feb 2008
Posts
30
Location
tamps United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:39 pm
One thing I would like to add: Skills.

Not only do some skills severely lack descriptive elements (I'll attribute that to the CBT), but DoTs (at least poison) are static and don't scale.

Poison damage has gone lower and lower as I have gotten higher level, making it useless in higher levels.

synster14

Rank 3
synster14
Joined
11 Jan 2008
Posts
969
Location
Pits of Despair United States
PostedNov 16, 2012 8:41 pm
mu0731n wrote:
One thing I would like to add: Skills.

Not only do some skills severely lack descriptive elements (I'll attribute that to the CBT), but DoTs (at least poison) are static and don't scale.

Poison damage has gone lower and lower as I have gotten higher level, making it useless in higher levels.  


I made a post about this in the suggestion forum!
http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1808627

In fact I made a lot of posts in the suggestion forum!
Please go and have a read, and +1 or -1 as you deem fit, the more feedback, the better!

dongibongi2

Rank 0
dongibongi2
Joined
02 Oct 2010
Posts
165
Location
United Kingdom
PostedNov 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Opinions and criticisms

from a hardcore, die-hard mmofan's viewpoint.
rimotrian1 wrote:
So, like most of the really hardcore players out there, me and my friend pretty much hit 35 in two days. These are merely my opinions and my criticism alone, most of which will probably be negative. If you don't like it, then feel free to stop reading now. The reason why I'm not going to go into too much detail on the more positive aspects is because they're pretty common things that I feel any successful MMO should have.

Just like most of the free to play MMO's, leveling the early stages go by pretty **** fast. I hit cap in AIKA in a day. Prius in 2 days. Neosteam 3 days. etc. (open beta cap, mind you.) I can't really judge the game completely, because I mean, really, it's only closed beta. The game isn't even open beta or live yet. But there are SOME things that I REALLY dislike. For example:

PVP. What interested me most about the game was that there was going to be multiple ways that I could challenge myself in PVP. I was sad to see that there wasn't even a dueling system where I could gauge my skills against a few friends. That was a pretty big let down.

RVR. It doesn't help that Eos was severely lacking in players. The very first RVR me and watter went to, it was 6 vs 2. Probably us vs Final. The second one was 10 vs 4. The third was probably 20 vs 7-8ish. I had fun in the most previous RVR, but only due to the fact that I could charge into their entire realm who were spawn camping us and break through their line and escape out the back. But seriously, who likes losing that hard? There was literally zero chance that we could win. This is probably because the hardcore guilds all went Dione. (Final and Requiem from my knowledge) and left only us in Eos. The only other semi-active guild I noticed in Eos was Mostwanted? I think that's their name.

What I'm getting at here is that there should be way more emphasis on choosing your camp since it's such a big impact on how the game is played. A simple talk to NPC and pay 10k or however much it was to choose your realm shouldn't be allowed. There should be more depth, and much more clarity on just how big of an impact on the server it's going to be. (Like I said, the game is still new and there might be room for improvement.)

--------I also think there should be more emphasis on just when RVR takes place. That way people have more room to prepare.

Playerbase. Something I aim to be is the best on my server. I thrive on competition and that's where I derive my enjoyment from. The fact that there was never more than maybe a couple hundred players on at any given time was really boring. Now that we're cap there's really nothing to do. I think incorporating some sort of OPEN PVP against realms would be nice. That way it gives us something to do. y'know, roam around and look for Dione's to kill. In that sense, I suppose it would be sort of broken. There would always be the noobs who went and farmed the lower levels. Maybe some sort of limit? In general, the OPEN PVP just plain sucks.

You literally have to OPT IN (I find that a horrible mechanic in general) to PVP and EVEN THEN there is a penalty from what I understand. The opt in system is just plain garbage. The penalty I don't mind so much. Maybe not as severe? If there is going to be PK, it shouldn't be opt in. Players should be able to kill whoever they want, with a certain consequence.

Item crafting and upgrading. From what I could tell, blueprints were completely useless and not even worth picking up. You spend an hour or three grinding and you'd have a blue that was much better. After grinding to 35 you have 700k+ and blues sell for around 50-80k ish. Which makes them stupidly easy to get a hold of. All in all, the crafting really is useless. The only thing I found remotely useful was being able to craft speed pots with crystals. Even then, it was stupidly easy. 50 gold for an empty bottle and 3-5 crystals? :/

I just didn't like the lackluster crafting system in general. Maybe that's just me, though. I really enjoy the hassle of having to find rare materials and using them to craft an item that may or may not have good stats. This also gives us end game users more things to do. Again, I know it's CBT but still, most of the other F2P MMO's that I ended up playing into open beta had triple the content and five times the active players. All of this just really turns me away from spending any sort of time into the game.

Most of you say closed beta is for finding bugs/glitches, etc. But, for many, it's about preparing your guild, scoping out the good players and finding out ways to better yourself so that when open beta roles around you're in the race to becoming a top player. Like I said, I thrive on conflict and more importantly competition.

With that being said, the castle siege looks promising. Still, the ten man player limit on a guild at level 1 seems redundant. Maybe 30-40 player limit and bump it up by 10-20 players per level. You can't even call 10 players a guild. Seriously, that's a party and a half. A GM did mention to me that they were probably going to fix this in an upcoming patch. By all means, do it. You guys rock if so.

The skills in the game were all very nice to watch. But the FPS in the game REALLY stunk. Like, REALLY. I've never played a game where I could put all settings to low and still barely play at a solid ten FPS. Even on minimum spec mode, I would be getting a max of 20 FPS and when more than three or four players were on the screen it dropped back down to 10 FPS. That's just horrid. My PC isn't even that bad. I've been able to play all other mmo's with at least a solid 30 FPS and I play LoL with 60 with all high settings. I don't know if it's just me, but from what I can tell others are also having a pretty big issue with FPS lag.

To be completely honest, I'm bored and have nothing else to do at the moment. I've probably ranted on for way to long here and it would be naive of me to expect many to really read the entire thing through. I've been searching for a semi-decent MMO to put me and my guild to trials with for the longest time now. I like the game and enjoyed playing it but it will need soooo much more for me to actually consider "no-lifing" it. Just some thoughts from some random player in hopes that you guys might better the game some how. So far, it just doesn't live up to even my ridiculously low standards.

inb4 tl;dr. inb4 op can't inb4.  




+1

karljean10

Rank 1
karljean10
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Posts
349
Location
Pennsylvania United States
PostedNov 17, 2012 1:16 am
Ur artticle or post should be posted everywhere around this forum. U have basically summarized everything the game lacks and needs to be succesfull. Nice Job!! Right now since the pvp sux and theres not much to do beside quest i'll give this game a 5/10. Thumbs up to u dud, really hope GM's will read ur post over and over again till they get this game right.

+1000

Former Ts1-Ts2 Fujin G12/112 Sitter Old Guild:RoyalAssassins(G12)/ Current Guild:LeGenDaRy

Papa.Smurf

Rank 5
Papa.Smurf
Joined
02 Feb 2009
Posts
4020
Location
Canada
PostedNov 17, 2012 11:09 am
This game seems like a dumbed down version of Rappelz to me, only with massive lag.
I came from playing WoW at 70 fps to this, where I can't even move forward or turn camera without lagging on Low graphics.

The only thing keeping me here is the fact I know Taz will make this game amazing. He's just hardcore with this sort of stuff.

Display posts from previous:   Sort by: