TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedNov 18, 2012 2:34 pm
dimakiller44 wrote:
woah looks like you really know what are you talking about O.O  

Not really actually lol. I'm good at making people think I know what I'm talking about.
Advertisement

dimakiller44

Rank 0
dimakiller44
PostedNov 19, 2012 1:05 am
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
dimakiller44 wrote:
woah looks like you really know what are you talking about O.O  

Not really actually lol. I'm good at making people think I know what I'm talking about.  

Clever! *...*

lingu023

Rank 2
lingu023
PostedNov 19, 2012 1:31 am
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
lingu023 wrote:
I wish more companies just thew on a translation and released the game. The benefits are just so huge in that you can almost always keep up with releasing the same update at the same time both in west and east. (Because you can translate text while they program)

Not to mention most people want to play the Korean game, but don't want to steal IDs and play something they can't read. So you'd be doing your fans a favor, while saving yourself some headaches.  

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. You have to worry about voice-over recordings, asset integration, linguistics testing, and making sure strings of code are localized 100% properly. Even 1 foreign character in core coding can result in the game crashing on an EN PC that does not support it. Then, all that must be tested on a higher scale (i.e. Closed Beta).

A localized version of a game is virtually a completely new client, and thus must be treated as one. The same applies to updates. Just as they are tested by internal testers for the native version, the same must be done for the localized version.

Generally a developer won't sign their game to foreign publishers if the game is not successful in the native country, this is partly why the native version of games tends to be ahead. I do not believe Aeria has any choice in this matter.  

I can tell you don't know what you are talking about. But yes, there are some additional generic MMO work involved like connecting to new servers and make sure that works. But overall it is mainly just translation that is needed.

chronos_notashi

Rank 3
chronos_notashi
PostedNov 19, 2012 1:57 am
lingu023 wrote:
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
lingu023 wrote:
I wish more companies just thew on a translation and released the game. The benefits are just so huge in that you can almost always keep up with releasing the same update at the same time both in west and east. (Because you can translate text while they program)

Not to mention most people want to play the Korean game, but don't want to steal IDs and play something they can't read. So you'd be doing your fans a favor, while saving yourself some headaches.  

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. You have to worry about voice-over recordings, asset integration, linguistics testing, and making sure strings of code are localized 100% properly. Even 1 foreign character in core coding can result in the game crashing on an EN PC that does not support it. Then, all that must be tested on a higher scale (i.e. Closed Beta).

A localized version of a game is virtually a completely new client, and thus must be treated as one. The same applies to updates. Just as they are tested by internal testers for the native version, the same must be done for the localized version.

Generally a developer won't sign their game to foreign publishers if the game is not successful in the native country, this is partly why the native version of games tends to be ahead. I do not believe Aeria has any choice in this matter.  

I can tell you don't know what you are talking about. But yes, there are some additional generic MMO work involved like connecting to new servers and make sure that works. But overall it is mainly just translation that is needed.  

*looks at join date* Exactly how many MMOs have you played closed beta for before this one? I'm just wondering.

Dynasty Warriors Online (retired): Chronos.JX1; Chariot General | Grand Fantasia: HeroChronos>Berserker>Gaia server

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedNov 19, 2012 2:01 am
chronos_notashi wrote:
*looks at join date* Exactly how many MMOs have you played closed beta for before this one? I'm just wondering.  

For Aeria, 5.
For games not associated with Aeria, more than you can count on your hands. xD

Cyndrus

Rank 0
Cyndrus
PostedNov 19, 2012 2:12 am
If we're not talking strictly free games then X-Com and Guild Wars 2 are both excellent time sinks.

chronos_notashi

Rank 3
chronos_notashi
PostedNov 19, 2012 2:30 am
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
chronos_notashi wrote:

For Aeria, 5.
For games not associated with Aeria, more than you can count on your hands. xD  

I was asking lingu023 that question, but thanks for giving your response. Since you've helped with as many games in closed beta as you have, I think you know more about how it all works than lingu does.

Dynasty Warriors Online (retired): Chronos.JX1; Chariot General | Grand Fantasia: HeroChronos>Berserker>Gaia server

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedNov 19, 2012 2:32 am
chronos_notashi wrote:
I was asking lingu023 that question, but thanks for giving your response. Since you've helped with as many games in closed beta as you have, I think you know more about how it all works than lingu does.  

Oh derp, sorry. =x
3:30am here, not paying too good attention lol.

dimakiller44

Rank 0
dimakiller44
PostedNov 19, 2012 2:33 am
are you guys really going to fight who beta tested more games? O.o
lets all be friends now and no body shall fight ^...^
back to the topic!!!!
Suggest me some games!!!

lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
PostedNov 19, 2012 3:11 am
No one is fighting here ^^ Just a bit of a discussion, if you will.

However, back on topic, all of the games I have to recommend are either PS3 games or MMO's that are hosted through other free-to-play companies that I cannot link to/talk about here lol.