marclox27

Rank 0
marclox27
PostedNov 19, 2012 9:46 pm   Last edited by marclox27 on Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm. Edited 17 times in total
Micaela Bastidas Puyucawa born in Lima (Southern Peru) in 1745.
In 1780 he led, with her husband, the great anti-colonial rebellion seeking an end to bad government, the unfair tax reforms and abuses against the Indians.

Advertisement

Evaeri

Rank 1
Evaeri
PostedNov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Kate Sheppard was a powerful woman who made a petition for the right to vote for women in New Zealand in 1893. After the success of her permission, many countries followed suite. I chose Kate Sheppard because she represents the rights and the independence of women.

HeartlessFate

Rank 1
HeartlessFate
PostedNov 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Queen Victoria was one of Britain's most famous Monarch. During her reign, Britain had become one of the world's most powerful empires and . She supported many charities that involved education, hospitals and helping the poor. Her long reign moved power away from the monarchy and instead into the government. She introduced the secret ballot, where voting was done privately and without pressure or intimidation . I chose her because she was a symbol of power and one of the most influential woman in history.

Roscuro987

Rank 0
Roscuro987
PostedNov 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Queen Elizabeth I

She is badass lady!! She did not take crap from the most powerful country(Spain) of that time and also defeat their most fierce ship armada! That's why I pick her.

Yilette

Rank 0
Yilette
PostedNov 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Hypatia of Alexandria

“There was a woman at Alexandria named Hypatia, daughter of the philosopher Theon, who made such attainments in literature and science as to far surpass all the philosophers of her own time. Having succeeded to the school of Plato and Plotinus, she explained the principles of philosophy to her auditors, many of whom came from a distance to receive her instructions.” -Socrates of Constantinople

"The first historically noted woman in mathematics. As head of the Platonist school at Alexandria, she also taught philosophy and astronomy.
As a Neoplatonist philosopher, she belonged to the mathematic tradition of the Academy of Athens, as represented by Eudoxus of Cnidus; she was of the intellectual school of the 3rd century thinker Plotinus, which encouraged logic and mathematical study in place of empirical enquiry and strongly encouraged law in place of nature." - Wikipedia

It is often said that the ultimate goal of science is to describe every detail of the universe with pure math alone. In this sense I consider Hypatia to be the mother of all science.

She was killed by a mob of zealots who believed she was influencing the local Governor. This event shocked the pagan and moderate populations of Alexandria but only further emboldened the radical elements. It is sometimes considered the first historically notable witch-hunt. The tragedy of Hypatia's death highlights the dangers of superstition, misogyny and anti-intellectualism.

Most of all, I believe Hypatia has a place in this thread because she was known and admired for (among other things) her intelligence, wit and confidence. She thrived as a single woman and stood as an equal with the most powerful men of Alexandria, all in a culture that was becoming increasingly barbaric and would barely even consider the concept of women's equality till well over a thousand years in the future.

Risquette

Rank 2
Risquette
PostedNov 19, 2012 11:41 pm
Clara Barton

-Founder of the Red Cross
-Performed Services on bloodied men during war (specifically the Civil War) before deciding to found the International Red Cross
-Besides this she maintained interests in other fields such as education, women's rights, prison reform, and civil rights most of which were movements far after the time of her passing.

denniss_hot

Rank 0
PostedNov 20, 2012 12:24 am

Mary Magdalene

Mary Magdalene
Mary Magdalene

The historical facts surrounding Mary Magdalene are shrouded in speculation. However accounts from the Gospels and other sources suggest Mary Magdalene was one of *****’ most devoted followers. It is said she was a women of “ill repute” but according to the Gospel of Mark and Luke her pure devotion to **** earned her complete forgiveness. Mary Magdalene stood near ***** at his crucifixion and was the first to see his resurrection.

EllaIzzy13

GameSage: Shaiya
EllaIzzy13
PostedNov 20, 2012 12:42 am

Yelizaveta Petrovna

She was a woman who promoted education and peace. She actually vowed the night that she took over (after a peaceful arresting of her sister's family and advisers) that she would not issue a death sentence in her reign. She didn't have a man by her side in reign either.

doodmannerman

Rank 0
doodmannerman
PostedNov 20, 2012 12:53 am
Lyudmila Mykhailivna Pavlichenko.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was a Russian sniper in World War 2 who has been credited for ending 309 German lives in a time where women were not often called to war due to typical 1940s "values." After she was put out of combat by a shell, she trained snipers herself until the end of the war. She was recognized as a Hero of the Soviet Union.

Wikipedia.

"Badass of the Week" entry.

Stormentis

Rank 0
Stormentis
PostedNov 20, 2012 1:12 am

Ellen Degeneres.
I picked her because she's a huge inspiration to so many people. She has saved AND changed many lives. She always brings a smile to people even in the darkest of times. She's a great role model for everyone and she shows that LGBT people are just like everyone else; human!