LawlAmgad

Rank 0
PostedNov 14, 2012 9:31 am

Malice

I'm currently staying at level 55 for quite a while and I'm having problems when I play mage. I only go mage when someone is insistent that I play AoE DPS. When someone says AoE DPS it means they can handle it. I have about 1k mcrit rate and 19k mattack unbuffed. But I always seem to pull aggro from a lot of tank.s They then blame me and insist I use -malice certs when they asked me to AoE DPS in the first place. Personally I don't see it worth it to gimp my damage to compensate for them. I rarely lose aggro on my tank because I built it for damage. I was just wondering if I should start using -malice certs.
Advertisement

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedNov 14, 2012 9:45 am
As someone who mains a tanking class, yes. Use -malice certs. I built my tank to have as much EVA as possible with above-average def (41-44%), I currently have 9k/11k atk ( lvl 58 ) depending on if I use a shadow lacerator (for maximum EVA) or my rapier (for a bit less EVA, more damage), I usually have enough malice so that DPS don't steal the aggro, but man, there are just too many **** overpowered mages/clerics out there. When you crit more than 50% of the time and have 18k+ matk you WILL steal aggro, and the tank IS NOT to blame. I invested in malice KP, always make sure DoA is active, have +malice from trophy enchants, and I spam malice-inducing skills. Yet, the overpowered DPS steal the aggros.

LawlAmgad

Rank 0
PostedNov 14, 2012 10:45 am
I would agree with you however I only play mage when someone wants an AoE DPS. And when your party consists of 4 mages it kind of indicates that it's a speed run. Speed runs need OP healers, OP DPS and of course an OP tank. An OP tank should have enough pattack to hold the malice for quite a while. Generally an OP tank will only lose aggro when the mob is already half death and by that point when the mob should die before it kills the mage.

I main tank also, but will play different classes depending on what the party needs. I have 13k pattack, 46% eva and 8.8k def. I can pull multiple mobs and rush, I've had a party where we had 1 illu, 1 tank, 1 solo healer and 5 mages. These mages had 22-25k mattack each and if they were cast speed they had around 1k of it and all of them had 1k-1.4k mcrit rate. My stats nowhere near touch that but I held aggro. And they weren't like me, I wait for the tank, they were the rushing kind I had to race them to the mobs. My tank isn't OP by any stretch, I don't have +6 gear, I have no gems at all, but I get by. In that party I was talking about to be quite frank I was more scared of that illusionist. That illusionist had ridiculous stats and on bosses I had to provoke a lot to make sure the boss didn't eat them, because that deadly icicle was dangerous.

Maybe it's just me, but I rarely find a mage who can pull aggro off me consistently and if they do, I find it as a challenge, I switch my gear around, I start animation cancelling more, I ask them to cast elemental guardian on me and we have a competition in malice. I'm just a competitive person and trials are so boring without a little competition or chaos.

If I'm playing a mage and the tank doesn't want to play fight over the malice, they can stop asking me to be an AoE DPS. I personally don't mind dying all the time, but every tank I meet takes it as me trying to make their life miserable just because I play mage with the intention of dealing damage.

lildeviruchi

Rank 2
lildeviruchi
PostedNov 14, 2012 12:43 pm
Using -malice certificates barely does anything. Mages can achieve the fastest cast and highest damage due to Snowstorm's ability to be spammed. The only way to counter a Tank who can't hold any kind of aggro is to curb your attack rate. That would mean slowing down between Snowstorms instead of spam clicking. :x

Unlike Tanks who have malice generating skills thrown into the combo, our malice is generated based on damage per second. The more damage you do over time, the more likely you're going to grab the monsters.

I've been with Tanks who can keep up against a party of 4 Mages. They know how to generate malice to keep aggro on them most of the time (there are times where it gets messy due to too many mobs). They also built their Tanks to be DPS with enough Evasion. A DPS Tank does far better than someone who relies on pure malice-based skills to keep aggro.

[ Juro - Somewhere called Sapphire - Imminent - Missing ]<br>

MajaMajaMaja

Rank 1
MajaMajaMaja
PostedNov 14, 2012 1:43 pm
lildeviruchi wrote:
Using -malice certificates barely does anything. Mages can achieve the fastest cast and highest damage due to Snowstorm's ability to be spammed. The only way to counter a Tank who can't hold any kind of aggro is to curb your attack rate. That would mean slowing down between Snowstorms instead of spam clicking. Mad

Unlike Tanks who have malice generating skills thrown into the combo, our malice is generated based on damage per second. The more damage you do over time, the more likely you're going to grab the monsters.

I've been with Tanks who can keep up against a party of 4 Mages. They know how to generate malice to keep aggro on them most of the time (there are times where it gets messy due to too many mobs). They also built their Tanks to be DPS with enough Evasion. A DPS Tank does far better than someone who relies on pure malice-based skills to keep aggro.  

Well said. Everything what lildeviruchi said is true. Anyone are bound to pull the aggro if they have no control over their attack especially if these DPS has like 80%-100% M/P-CRIT Rate everytime they cast their skills. I am playing tank and I've been with Mages and Samurais that has intense damages, all you need to understand is how to cooperate with the tank and keep an attitude to fully support your team and not just to swank who the OP is.

<html><CENTER><br>Sanctify - Sapphire</CENTER></html>

Meiji_

Rank 0
Meiji_
PostedNov 14, 2012 1:56 pm
Mages for AoE and Illusionists/MA for bosses are bound to steal aggro even with all the -malice certs you can put. It just happens sometimes.

Learn to position yourself and avoid getting killed until the tank gets the control back and it should be fine. Slowing down your attacks is a good counter if you can't avoid getting killed, like Juro said.

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedNov 14, 2012 2:02 pm
Can't agree with Juro and Maja more. I main mage myself, and I've tried every trick in the book to keep from taking aggro. I've used -malice certs, tried gimping my damage by reducing my crit rate/dmg, and at one point even put kp into minus malice on my mage lmao (@ mages: NEVER do that XD).

What happens? 2 Snowstorms and I had aggro. If that wasn't enough, I tried doing it on illu as well (keep in mind that illu is not an aoe dps class and the human racial passive is minus malice) and STILL took aggro even though I wasn't spamming aoe's and should have had about -30%+ malice. At that point, I pretty much gave up on lowering my malice.

I compensated by making my mage as powerful as possible and spamming ice shield and elemental guardian. With elemental guardian up, all you have to do is aoe twice and most, if not all of your procs will go off. I use several agi procs, so not only does my cast speed get a boost, but my evasion does as well. Fully proc'd I reach about 40-50% eva, which isn't much, but it helps a lot against mobs if I take aggro.

If I do get hit, Ice shield adds about 2.5k defense so that it hurts a bit less (again, not a lot, but considering I only have about 3.5k def without it, it's worth it). Finally, I make use of dimensional jump whenever possible. Standing there and taking all that damage to face would just be silly; I kite the mobs around until the tank can take back aggro.

And by NOT gimping my dps, and focusing on killing the mobs as fast as I can, it increases the chances of the mobs dying before I do. If the healers honestly just can't keep up with me, then I change to cleric dps and stun the mobs to death. Stunned mobs + self heals = much less death.

katashi65

Rank 3
katashi65
PostedNov 14, 2012 2:52 pm
rae, did you try - malice potions? O:

In any case, this is basically what I tell everybody who complains about aggro. You got aggro cuz you did lots of damage. An easy solution is to wait till your tanks establish aggro before spamming, to spam at a slower pace, or to wait until you're sure you can nuke the mobs down before they come for you to start spamming.

raedrin

Rank 3
raedrin
PostedNov 14, 2012 3:46 pm
Malice pots I haven't tried. I keep seeing ppl talking about them, but I've never even seen one in-game lol. So until I know where to find the things, I won't be using any XD

Millumi

Rank 3
Millumi
PostedNov 14, 2012 4:01 pm
You can craft them in aven.
Malice Ward Level 1, they are the second recipe on the third page of the Aven pharmaceutical merchant
-3% malice for half an hour.
8 entangled energy, 2 sacred animal furs. 4g per formula, for 10 potions.

There are higher level ones, but it's like, a 1% malice decrease for each tier, and way more gold to actually craft.