RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Warlock - Staff or Grimoire

Hiya everybody,

everybody keeps telling me to use Staff instead of Grimoire as a Warlock.
However, as warlock I get cast speed bonus on Grimoires...

When I compare the best grimoir with the best staff (at least BEST thats listed on the wiki) then the staff does indeed have about 1k more MATK ...but I am unsure if it wouldnt be better to get some cast speed reduce from talents and get about 20% cast speed reduce (from grimoire bonus + talents) alone.

I really kinda want to use grims... can somebody please help me out here?
Can we get some knowledgable people to objectively compare the two weapon types?

Thx in advance Smile
Advertisement

ABUSELV

Rank 0
ABUSELV
PostedNov 13, 2012 3:05 pm
There are several reasons why people prefer staffs. Not just MATK.
1)Orange and Yellow staffs have WAY better effects that grimoires.
2)You can just take 1 staff and use it with Mage,Cleric,Shaman,Illu,Warlock, while that isn't really the case with grimoires.

Also, the difference in M-atk is actually pretty huge once you make it +10.
If you're a low level and only use blue equips, then by all means, use the grimoire. you don't HAVE to use the staff.

--Hooray for sig rotators--

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedNov 13, 2012 4:49 pm
use what you want, it doenst really matter. just that indeed often the stats on grimoires are bad, but there are a few really nice ones.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 14, 2012 12:14 am
I've just seen the epic Legendary Grimoire which gives +25% M-CRIT.
That sounds really nice...but, do I even care about those 25% when I hit level 65? I've seen people get redicioulus M-CRIT rates allready...

korwarrior

Rank 3
korwarrior
PostedNov 14, 2012 1:01 am
RockmanZXZ wrote:
I've just seen the epic Legendary Grimoire which gives +25% M-CRIT.
That sounds really nice...but, do I even care about those 25% when I hit level 65? I've seen people get redicioulus M-CRIT rates allready...  

thats the awaken grimoire which gives 0.25 m-dmg

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 14, 2012 1:37 am
Oops, ya thats the one I mean...but the wikis description says:

M-CRIT Rate+25%

o.o

Its only M-CRIT DMG? ...wow...that would suck so much <_<

MarlinAngel

Rank 0
MarlinAngel
PostedNov 14, 2012 2:35 am
Yep, it's damage. And since damage is really easy to cap, it makes the grimoire kind of crappy imo.
The 10% cast speed advantage that you have with a grimoire is nice, but at later levels it won't really make a difference. There's plenty of gear / trophies that help you instant-cast easily. Talent points on cast speed are definitely not worth it, as they don't give you a static %.
Comparing the 65 awakened staff to the 65 awakened grimoire... well, as stated earlier, if you +10 them, the m-atk difference between staff and grimoire is huge. On top of that, add that the awakened staff has a m-atk proc of about 3.6k and mcrit rate of about 200 and it gives all your elemental resistances a nice little boost (that boost has helped keeping me alive in several trials).
Another huge difference to note between the two: The awakened staff gives a higher luck and mcrit rate bonus than the grimoire. I would personally prefer luck and mcrit rate over acc, as luck itself gives you acc as well. The grimoire does, however, have higher agi than the staff.

Though there's always the option of trying to get a nice purple grimoire, although I'm not sure on how much matk those give at the later levels.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 14, 2012 3:29 am
Oh wow...the WL class seems to have some bad design choices.
Lets hope the 4th tier in MDPS will be a lil better.

sweetxdevil357

Rank 3
sweetxdevil357
PostedNov 14, 2012 5:40 am
It's pretty sad too, since the concept of Warlock is pretty epic.. It was also the DPS I was excited the most for. >_>

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 14, 2012 6:04 am
Well, I have to say that I highly enjoy the class...but, it has some serious flaws.

I just hit level 50 WL ...and got the Plague Carrier skill. I thought at level 50 you'd get a usefull skill....but its utter crap and not worth it.
Then there is the 2sec delay on Nightmare....sux too Sad

The DoT from Dark Parasite is only depended on the skills level...there is no way to boost it but one single talent which is max level 1. So, the DoT is very very limited. I had hoped there would be a enchant to increase DoT somehow, but there isnt.

I also thought bout maximizing my DoT with some Rings n Capes n such. There is a item that has a 5% chance to deal 400 Dark Damage on a enemy for 10 seconds...however, its only activated with attacks...and since the Dark Parasite is not a valid attack it wont proc the effect....

This really saddens me Sad

But, I just started the class, so maybe I just didnt find out how to correctly play it.