RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 12, 2012 3:25 am

Warlock "power"?

Can anybody share their experiences
Hiya everybody,

I finally got the warlock class and got it up to 46 for now.
To me, the class seems awfully weak at this level.

I can solo dungeons with my mage, my WL dies a lot in the same situations.
But still, I love that class...its weak...but somehow fun to play.

I just wanted to ask how this class is propably meant to play and oif it
gets stronger at some point that people dont scream at you in Trials saying "Why do we have weak warlocks here? (yes, this happened)

So, any advices from fellow WLs?

Thx in advance
Advertisement

rinsha

Rank 4
rinsha
PostedNov 12, 2012 3:53 am   Last edited by rinsha on Nov 12, 2012 6:19 am. Edited 1 time in total
umm personally i think warlocks strong point is single target dmg dealing

DoTs + M-crit makes them decent for killing bosses quicker and breaking the ones whose break point is dark or fire (possibly ice too)

if ur halfkin a fun thing to try with warlock is equip a shield and mace cast icicle shield and plague carrier then run into a group of mobs and watch them die *rolls*
ofc u can speed up the process by calling mobs over with fireball or hitting a group with that lightning web
but ofc this is no good in trial and in trials most people want AoEs and personally ive never played warlock in trial sorry

EDIT: Also dont forget plague carrier can be cast on a tank so everything attacking the tank will get affected by the DoT which can help killing everything quicker and save u time by not needing to use the DoT before u start using nightmare attack

Kardo

Rank 1
PostedNov 12, 2012 4:40 am
Unfortunately I pretty much agree with Warlock being UP in PvM (PvP is a different story with fear and all, where Warlock does quite well in my opinion). Though I feel I do more single-target dps as mage (and illu beats both by far) than warlock, my main complaint isn't so much about damage. Rather it's with the lack of useful control skills and with fear debuffs in general.

In PvM fear is more hurtful than helpful because it causes the mobs to scatter, thus hindering anyone trying to kill them and ultimately slowing down the dungeon. Mind Control is similar in the sense that if used improperly it will be more detrimental than beneficial, but it has its moments to shine (bad pulls or boss adds for example).

It's a bit bland and similar to stun, but if fear worked the same way in PvM as it does in PvP (prevent moving and attacking) then I think warlocks (and warrior with intimidate) would receive some much needed buffs for PvM while not affecting their PvP ability at all (save for pets running around, but there are very few advantages/disadvantages to this really).

Anyway the above probably belongs more in suggestions than here. So as for advice:

Make sure to use Parasites before Nightmare attack. The bonus damage raises Nightmare attack to 1.75x which is on par with Deadly Icicle. Try to use your second tribute right before a boss uses an aoe to maximize its duration (first of course right before the boss).

Also I'm not sure if it's because of my lack of kill speed (and thus more parrying), but I go through my staff's durability pretty fast on Warlock vs hardly any on Illu/Mage.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 12, 2012 8:38 am
Kardo wrote:
Unfortunately I pretty much agree with Warlock being UP in PvM (PvP is a different story with fear and all, where Warlock does quite well in my opinion). Though I feel I do more single-target dps as mage (and illu beats both by far) than warlock, my main complaint isn't so much about damage. Rather it's with the lack of useful control skills and with fear debuffs in general.

In PvM fear is more hurtful than helpful because it causes the mobs to scatter, thus hindering anyone trying to kill them and ultimately slowing down the dungeon. Mind Control is similar in the sense that if used improperly it will be more detrimental than beneficial, but it has its moments to shine (bad pulls or boss adds for example).

It's a bit bland and similar to stun, but if fear worked the same way in PvM as it does in PvP (prevent moving and attacking) then I think warlocks (and warrior with intimidate) would receive some much needed buffs for PvM while not affecting their PvP ability at all (save for pets running around, but there are very few advantages/disadvantages to this really).

Anyway the above probably belongs more in suggestions than here. So as for advice:

Make sure to use Parasites before Nightmare attack. The bonus damage raises Nightmare attack to 1.75x which is on par with Deadly Icicle. Try to use your second tribute right before a boss uses an aoe to maximize its duration (first of course right before the boss).

Also I'm not sure if it's because of my lack of kill speed (and thus more parrying), but I go through my staff's durability pretty fast on Warlock vs hardly any on Illu/Mage.  

Nice, thank you for teh info. Where did u get the 1.75x value? I am highly interested in knowing as much game source values as possible. Its hard to find any insight info on EE on the boards Sad

I hope I can start enjoying my WL some more once it hits level 50...

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedNov 12, 2012 9:19 am
RockmanZXZ wrote:
Kardo wrote:

Nice, thank you for teh info. Where did u get the 1.75x value? I am highly interested in knowing as much game source values as possible. Its hard to find any insight info on EE on the boards Sad

I hope I can start enjoying my WL some more once it hits level 50...  

Its on the description of nightmare attack, something along the lines of: if target is under parasite state damage multiplied by xxx.

People mostly dont like lock cause it doesnt have any hitting aoe. This doesnt mean it isnt a great class to play, for me its my favo 1v1 class doing quests outside dungeons (when i cant get cp anymore for other classes that is). To bad it isnt always that usefull in dungeons Sad

hummingkayls

Rank 2
hummingkayls
PostedNov 12, 2012 11:37 am
Warlock is really only better at higher levels, with the class skills to match.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 12, 2012 4:22 pm
Got another question bout Plague Carrier.
When it does the "Parasite" effect, is this the same as the "Dark Parasite" skill?
If so, does that stack with each hit you take? Is the strength of the parasites the same?

sleepingroosje

Rank 4
sleepingroosje
PostedNov 12, 2012 4:45 pm
Dark parasite is a skill that you can stack 3 times on a mob (like winter chill) and if you got that debuff on a mob/boss you trigger the extra effects of nightmare attack and shadow arrow.

Plague Carrier is a different skills, and i must say i kinda never use it so i dont really know the effects, but do know it is not the same as dark parasite.

RockmanZXZ

Rank 2
RockmanZXZ
PostedNov 12, 2012 4:54 pm
In this video the skill is shown in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_q93Iq-pA

I wonder if that person just did not invest into this skill cause the damage is really...REALLY low. I also wonder how many times it can stack, you can clearly see it does stack...propably only 3 times though. But I imagine if it gets as "strong" as Dark Parasite and you combine both skills then it can be quite deadly.

But tbh, this is exactly what WL needs as a lil countermeasure against mobs x(

Edit:

Wow....I just found this -> http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1337335

The skills does 67 damage per stack when skilled to level 50? Seriously? That must be som kind of sick joke <_<
My Dark Parasite skill is 48 now and does bout 660dmg with 3 stacks.
I seriously hope that Plague Carrier can stack more then 3 times...but somehow I highly doubt it.

Wow..this is a huge disappointment.
Please somebody tell me that at least the final(!) skill you can unlock is somewhat worth it Sad

joer130

Rank 2
joer130
PostedNov 12, 2012 5:02 pm
RockmanZXZ wrote:
In this video the skill is shown in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_q93Iq-pA

I wonder if that person just did not invest into this skill cause the damage is really...REALLY low. I also wonder how many times it can stack, you can clearly see it does stack...propably only 3 times though. But I imagine if it gets as "strong" as Dark Parasite and you combine both skills then it can be quite deadly.

But tbh, this is exactly what WL needs as a lil countermeasure against mobs x(  

I evenly distributed my class points towards many skills. I maxed Death Threats and Wild Shout (Very important in PvP, GvG, and TW).

Shadow Arrow is a really great skill. You have 30% chance to leech the damage dealt.

Nightmare Attack would be the deadliest warlock skill. When cast dark parasite, it causes triple hit effect.

PS: What do you mean low? I deal 15~17k damage with awaken staff.

PSS:

Nevermind, my plague carrier is lvl 37 Razz It doesn't seem useful in my point of view because I don't want monsters/players hitting me anyway.