poomcha

Rank 0
poomcha
PostedNov 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Melee DPS

Do they belong in parties?
I've been surfing youtube for end-game raids and I mostly see range dps. I can understand why but is melee dps viable? If they are, are they as strong as range dps? I wanna main samurai, I hope they arn't unwanted.
Advertisement

doc09

Rank 4
doc09
PostedNov 07, 2012 8:38 pm
Depending on who the boss is is what people would use for a dungeon. I know people who use MA or BD in a dungeon, but then again they're from the stronger group of people. a BD has 2 AoE's that can be useful for the party, but rangers are naturally strong and can dish out a good bit of damage if properly set up.

girafig321

Rank 0
PostedNov 07, 2012 9:12 pm
Melee dps are generally more gear dependent. You need to fortify 2 weapons for most of them ( unless you are using samurai or warrior dps) as well as completing 2 legendary achivemnts to boost patak. Lots of people overlook BD aoe potential and MA are a great dps class for bosses. IMO there should be people playing all classes, but since 90% of the game population focuses mainly on mdps, I'd say neles dos os not only viable as it is also needed.

Posted By Aeria Mobile

hotarunix

Rank 0
PostedNov 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: Melee DPS

Do they belong in parties?
poomcha wrote:
I've been surfing youtube for end-game raids and I mostly see range dps. I can understand why but is melee dps viable? If they are, are they as strong as range dps? I wanna main samurai, I hope they arn't unwanted.  

what happens a lot in trial parties is that dps will use their weakest class that is still useable, in order to soak up class experience-- and there are a lot of people with incredibly sucky range classes out there.

melee classes can be very good- stats effect melee classes less than magic classes but that's a small nerf to make up for not having any cast times for skills, as well as attack speed boosts having more of an effect on dps than cast speed boosts. with the same level of enhanced gear a melee can dish out as much or more damage than a magic class and faster.

aurorasoltice

GameSage: Eden Eternal
aurorasoltice
PostedNov 07, 2012 9:30 pm
The answer to that is yes, though people mostly use ranged or mdps for their aoe. I frequently find people running dungeons/trials with samurai. I agree though that melee dps is a bit gear dependent, but if you know how to play it well, i know some really OP thief and MA c:

hellangel911

Rank 0
PostedNov 07, 2012 9:40 pm
I myself is a focused melee dps. In my honest opinion, melee dps is really useful at bosses.
Also, BD does have 2 AoE, one of which has a combo with bard's burning metal. People usually overlook this.
The most important thing is that melee dps usually has much more HP, DEF, and EVA than most of other dps. (well except those who build weird dps I guess)
Furthermore, as far as I know, there are some bosses who you cannot break fast without certain break points that require melee dps. (Like some bosses with Strike, Slash, and Lightning weak points...)

Angie-AB-Sapphire

criss8427

Rank 2
criss8427
PostedNov 07, 2012 9:55 pm
Melee DPS are viable in dungeons, trials, and PVP. In my opinion, the fastest trials that I have been in up to level 70, have been with strong P-DPS classes such as MA, BD, and Samurai. M-DPS can clear trash mobs quickly with their AOEs however Melee such as MA can take down a boss much faster than M-DPS if geared properly. Basel Lv.70 is an example of a P-DPS trial, as in the bosses and their skills are easily neutered by melee-dps. All trials need a balance for clearing mobs quick and BPing but melee dps does really well in fast killing.

jlin1314

Rank 2
jlin1314
PostedNov 07, 2012 10:18 pm
Thief = good for soloing bosses and semi tanking
Ma = good for crystal capping and bosses and semi tanking/pvp
Bd = Fun melee class with 3 aoe if you count the regular melee aoe. But a bd can never out damage a mage aoe wise. It is impossible, even with 3 aoes there is still a delay(after all 3 aoes are used you have like 1-2 seconds with no aoe skills), while mages can just keep spamming snow storm(cleric holy smite) and do great damage.

Mages can also out damage Martial artists in bosses because trial bosses have defense but no MAGIC defense. Thus Melee classes do less dmg on boss as compared to mages. However TW crystals have 0 defense which allows Martial Artists to do more damage than mages ,single target wise. Mage&cleric is best for aoes and tw kills , melee(MA) is best for capping crystals and are the hunters that hunt down the mages and clerics that does the aoes.

Edit: Samurai is best for aoes , they are the best melee aoe-er. They do more damage than BD aoe wise, and are very much wanted in trials and anywhere else.

cuang123

Rank 0
cuang123
PostedNov 07, 2012 11:59 pm
it's sad that thief are being look down :< I wanted to main thief with my halfkin.. >_> but meeeehh whatever it still comes down to character preference

Yeah.. Whatever

zylro

Rank 0
PostedNov 08, 2012 9:08 am
thieves do an incredible amount of 1v1 dmg against bosses, since it has a triple and cruel slashes, which does pretty much 3x dmg when the boss is under 30% hp, sure it doesn't do as much as MA on charge but it's certainly not bad, and still comparable.

also as someone mentioned that there are no magic defenses on trial mobs, is true, but a good melee dps, with the correct gear would still do more or about the same, really depends on how well you are geared.

ohai