TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedNov 01, 2012 11:38 am
The game is not rated yet, and there's a chance it won't be rated, and there's a good chance the SB installer will ask you to confirm if you're 18+, just like the Shaiya one. @-@

Advertisement

tactics

Aeria: Product Manager
tactics
PostedNov 01, 2012 12:49 pm
Scarlet Blade will probably be rated by the ESRB. During our initial talks with them, and a presentation of the game's content (including our slight adjustments to the Sentinel), we were told "An M rating seems appropriate".

<a></a> <br> "Greatness is not given. Greatness is taken; When the weak and the distracted are resting on their reputations."

vgadict

Rank 0
PostedNov 01, 2012 3:08 pm
I'm very curious as to what the ratings would have been had there been no adjustments to the Sentinel. Would it have garnered the next higher rating (AO - Adults Only)?

Also on a related topic, but not necessarily specific to Scarlet Blade - Why don't more game companies consider releasing games with the AO rating? Adults aged 18 and up constitute a huge share of the current gaming population. The ESRB provides a rating to allow such games. I also know many fellow adult gamers that would be interested in playing games aimed at adults, including ones featuring content that may merit an AO rating.

zindanx

Rank 0
PostedNov 01, 2012 3:33 pm
If Aeria is making changes to the Sentinal class / NPC's, that means there will be no nudity in the game like there is in the Korean version, and no underwear outfit (topless one).

I think the Sentinal is the only class which had nipples fully visible in normal armors (as do several NPCs). Once they start down that road, they will eventually take out all "mature" visual content, I'd prefer the game to be released as it is in Korea.

If I recall correctly, both Age of Conan and The Secret World both have a "M" rating but show topless female characters (though TSW only has a demoness mob type which is topless, nice looking, haha). So I am not sure why Aeria would alter as much as they are/have altered to get their "M" rating.

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedNov 01, 2012 4:54 pm
zindanx wrote:
If Aeria is making changes to the Sentinal class / NPC's, that means there will be no nudity in the game like there is in the Korean version, and no underwear outfit (topless one).

I think the Sentinal is the only class which had nipples fully visible in normal armors (as do several NPCs). Once they start down that road, they will eventually take out all "mature" visual content, I'd prefer the game to be released as it is in Korea.

If I recall correctly, both Age of Conan and The Secret World both have a "M" rating but show topless female characters (though TSW only has a demoness mob type which is topless, nice looking, haha). So I am not sure why Aeria would alter as much as they are/have altered to get their "M" rating.  

Aeria really isn't altering that much at all. Just the Sentinel class and some NPCs. This is needed censoring for the sake of American culture. Also, there will be TONS of nudity and inappropriate content... everywhere... even after this censoring, so don't worry.

EllaIzzy13

GameSage: Shaiya
EllaIzzy13
PostedNov 01, 2012 5:03 pm
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
zindanx wrote:

Aeria really isn't altering that much at all. Just the Sentinel class and some NPCs. This is needed censoring for the sake of American culture. Also, there will be TONS of nudity and inappropriate content... everywhere... even after this censoring, so don't worry.  

From my understanding of the editing is that they are editing the scantily clad children-like characters. I could be wrong, but that's what i gathered....

lingu023

Rank 2
lingu023
PostedNov 01, 2012 5:53 pm
Censorship? Oh lord. Why do nobody who try and localize Asian games research their markets?

Let's refer to TERA, the latest censorship failure in the MMO world. They too were ridiculously worried about "American opinions about child characters". Well, you know what? After censoring the clothing, they released uncensored swimsuits, showing more skin and being more sexy than the armors, and there were no complaints. What is on the horizon? playboy bunny suits, and they will also be uncensored since EME gave up on wasting resources on something nobody is bothered by.

What am I getting at? Well, I'm stating, with proof behind my back, that censorship is a waste and you gain nothing from it. In fact censorship causes rifts in the communities and you end up with groups like Tera. Where half the group whines about people who like Elins, and the other group whines about the group who always insult their race choice.

Do nothing, and the game will be played as a game. Censor the girls, and everyone playing them will be called "The pervs picking the class that is a little girl and should be shot on sight". Because by censoring them, you indirectly agreed that they are wrong and not appropriate, and stupid people will run on this and bully players.

Let's be honest here. People will pick this title for the sexiness. People who play games for sexiness are rarely the kind to go around and preach about how to act properly.

Let me pick another censorship example. Sword Girls. They censored a card because of whining. The effect was a counter whine from people who disagreed. The result was that they promised to not edit future cards unless really needed, and since then they've released cards twice as naked and young, without a single complaint.

So again, what am I stating?

Two "MMOs" released 2012 were censored at release, and then noticed the backlash and complaints from fans of the game and stopped any future censorship because it was hurting business. Meanwhile all the "complainers" disappeared and were not around a month or two later.

I.e. it is nothing but Brilliant to censor a game to attempt to appeal to people who didn't already like the game.

I'm certain I'm too late with this information, but the company can enjoy re-reading this in 2 months when they realize I was 100% correct and the censorship was a waste.

And if anyone was wondering, I found the Sentinel outfit to look terrible and was not planning on playing it anyway. I just can't stand seeing people go "America don't like this so we are changing it".... Your country does not sign up to the game, individuals do. You may as well say "We must add Football to the game, or America won't play it".

Regardless of if you want it or not, people have encountered Queen's Blade, the anime, and from there tracked down this game. They like Asian culture, and do not consider themselves soccer moms who worry about nipples or ages.

Naduron

Rank 0
PostedNov 01, 2012 7:31 pm
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
zindanx wrote:

Lol bet they are going to remove the VIP room xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h5QhEx-yWDc

Zyrein

Rank 4
Zyrein
PostedNov 01, 2012 8:21 pm
lingu023 wrote:
Long post quote here  

In two months no one is going to look at your post nor care about it. Aeria is a American company and they are publishing it in, surprise, America. Your proof? That doesn't apply to a game that is based on and specifically made for 18+, not a game that's probably PG13. They are releasing such a sexual game with very little censored, be happy. Once the game has been up and running for a bit, people will find the game and never know it was called Queens Blade. It has no relationship to the anime so it doesn't matter.

TL;DR? You are 100% wrong. Censorship doesn't screw the game up so it doesn't matter.

vgadict

Rank 0
PostedNov 01, 2012 10:26 pm
TheNinjaKitten wrote:

Aeria really isn't altering that much at all. Just the Sentinel class and some NPCs. This is needed censoring for the sake of American culture.  

As a member of this so-called "American culture" I'd like to see a real rationale explained. Out of all my friends, family and acquaintances who are also members of this so-called culture, I don't know of a single one that is asking for this censorship. Thus, why is it needed? Who's really asking for it?

This supposed need for censorship in Western games seems to be based on a myth initiated by a vocal prudish minority. At the very least, these are people that will never play the game anyway, so why are game companies even trying to please them? This completely baffles me.