Author Message

Avyn

Rank 5.2
Avyn
Joined
16 Feb 2009
Posts
12963
Location
Western Canada
PostedOct 08, 2012 9:48 am

Last Name

Right then.



Why is last name asked? You don't need to enter anything to confirm changes on the page. It's not asked in account recovery. It doesn't display on your profile.

Why is that box even there?

Advertisement

Kizuna7

Rank 5
Kizuna7
Joined
25 Dec 2007
Posts
3427
Location
t( `-`t ) United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Last Name

Avyn wrote:
Right then.



Why is last name asked? You don't need to enter anything to confirm changes on the page. It's not asked in account recovery. It doesn't display on your profile.

Why is that box even there?  


Silly Avyn its quite simple really..



~Lil_Kizuna

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
Joined
28 May 2011
Posts
4136
Location
United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 10:07 am
I'm curious about this as well. I don't actually have anything input in the last name field as I've never understood the point. Neutral

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
Joined
05 Oct 2010
Posts
4849
Location
Whale hunting in Norway
PostedOct 08, 2012 10:16 am
Well actually, when AGE had a password reset for all accounts a while back and a lot of players on GF lost their alt accounts, they gave us a list of what to include in the recovering RT:

1) Your full name
2) The email attached to the account
3) An alternate email we may attach to the account (please make sure you have access to this email and it is NOT currently attached to any Aeria account)
~ 11

gin1010ger

Rank 3
gin1010ger
Joined
02 Sep 2007
Posts
970
Location
United Kingdom
PostedOct 08, 2012 11:43 am
So Aeria can search you on a social network and see what you look like, if your hot you get +% rates of good things in their lootboxes/clays/whatever.

......Even though I'm joking ...its probz true Very Happy

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
Joined
28 May 2011
Posts
4136
Location
United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 11:47 am
iBambi wrote:
Well actually, when AGE had a password reset for all accounts a while back and a lot of players on GF lost their alt accounts, they gave us a list of what to include in the recovering RT:

1) Your full name
2) The email attached to the account
3) An alternate email we may attach to the account (please make sure you have access to this email and it is NOT currently attached to any Aeria account)
~ 11  


Well it's not a required field so if I don't input anything there and my password gets reset it's not really going to benefit me, nor do I think it would prevent me from getting a new password in this situation (as I highly doubt 100% of GF players had their last name filled in).

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
Joined
05 Oct 2010
Posts
4849
Location
Whale hunting in Norway
PostedOct 08, 2012 12:46 pm
TheNinjaKitten wrote:
iBambi wrote:
Well actually, when AGE had a password reset for all accounts a while back and a lot of players on GF lost their alt accounts, they gave us a list of what to include in the recovering RT:

1) Your full name
2) The email attached to the account
3) An alternate email we may attach to the account (please make sure you have access to this email and it is NOT currently attached to any Aeria account)
~ 11  


Well it's not a required field so if I don't input anything there and my password gets reset it's not really going to benefit me, nor do I think it would prevent me from getting a new password in this situation (as I highly doubt 100% of GF players had their last name filled in).  


I didn't say it was a required thing, was just a side comment to it being "useless" and not used in the account recovery system. If you only give the information they ask for when trying to recover your account they reply with the list of 11 questions they want answered, weird system but meh~

GMPaladin

Aeria: Specialist
GMPaladin
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Posts
2603
Location
San Jose United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 1:01 pm
Little things like this help us for purposes of account verification or for people who want to actually share things like this. More options > no options.

smileybee

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
smileybee
Joined
30 May 2011
Posts
1160
Location
United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 1:07 pm
O.O they can see my last name?
-ERASE-
Kidding, but um can't they just put a fake last name?
and what about account verification?

<marquee></marquee>
<center></center>

GMPaladin

Aeria: Specialist
GMPaladin
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Posts
2603
Location
San Jose United States
PostedOct 08, 2012 1:18 pm
smileybee wrote:
O.O they can see my last name?
-ERASE-
Kidding, but um can't they just put a fake last name?
and what about account verification?  



Since only the user can see the name put in the box, we can easily ask someone trying to claim the account as theirs what they put as the last name.

Alternatively, if they put their actually last name, our billing team can cross-reference it with any purchases they may have made with credit cards/debit cards/paypal/etc.

But mostly its just a nice text box for people who want to put their name somewhere.

Can you enter a fake name? Yes, but it isn't going to help you out much.

Display posts from previous:   Sort by: