andaro

Rank 5.1
andaro
PostedOct 04, 2012 12:33 am

Aeria Ignite - How to make it better?

Hello!

Over the past couple months I have read alot of feedback about "Aeria Ignite", mixed with unhappy and happy reviews. So here I am curious, what do you personally feel would make Aeria Ignite a program you would want to use?

If you are unhappy with Aeria Ignite, what are some things you would change that would increase your desire to utilize this tool?

If you are happy with Aeria Ignite, what are somethings that you do not like that you would like to see worked on in order to improve on it?

Let's have a good talk and get some good feedback, and I'll start the ball rolling.

I like Aeria Ignite. It's a cool concept and great program. I am not too happy about the bundled Akamai installer because it has Uploads enabled by default which slows down my internet. I like that I can see all my games, profile messages and friends in one place. I would like to be able to read forum topics and shoutbox from Aeria Ignite , and maybe play some mini games from ignite without opening my browser. - Andy  
Advertisement

smileybee

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
smileybee
PostedOct 04, 2012 12:44 am
I don't think viewing messages on ignite is useful ._.
It's always give me late messages, and its super laggy.

<marquee></marquee>
<center></center>

LilianMcK

Rank 4
LilianMcK
PostedOct 04, 2012 12:45 am
Just to let you know there is an aeria ignite feedback thread here by Moose

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1570833

andaro

Rank 5.1
andaro
PostedOct 04, 2012 1:03 am   Last edited by andaro on Oct 04, 2012 1:13 am. Edited 1 time in total
LilianMcK wrote:
Just to let you know there is an aeria ignite feedback thread here by Moose

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1570833  

Actually I had forgotten about that, but in a thought, im asking the LC peeps mainly , because we have some really great thinkers here, and I think we can discuss a topic and provide some good feedback. :3 It's really a global program, and a feedback thread should be stickied under the shoutbox for extended period of time so everyone can see it since I'm sure not many journey to other forums. I would really like to see more folks talking about Ignite and giving some more good feedback on how it can be improved and be what they want out of this kinda program, and I realise that I can't spam forums across the board trying to get people to do that. It is an important topic that everyone in all the forums should be talking about , since we're going to be using it from now on, and as a community its important that we provide the best feedback possible so it can be improved. So by opening up a discussion here, at least we LC peeps can focus some talk time here, and I'll request it moved (attached) to that thread at a later date.

Iruparazzo

Rank 3
Iruparazzo
PostedOct 04, 2012 1:13 am
Disclosure!

I think it's off-putting to potential new players when they come to download LC and Ignite is forced upon them during installation.

Having discussed this with a friend, he asked me how it was any different from say, Steam requiring platform download, or say, Nexon requiring Hackshield installation. I say the difference is that Steam makes no bones about what it is - you've got to install Steam in order to play the games, knowing you're downloading steam. As opposed to downloading a game and *then* being told you require a 3rd party program installation as well. This type of download can seem very fishy to PC owners, and would turn many of them off immediately. Second point; Nexon's Hackshield tells you its a Hackshield right away. To this day I don't know what Aeria Ignite actually does. Some google searching found only people looking for ways to uninstall it, because apparently it cannot be uninstalled even if the game it came with is removed.

In the case of a 'cheap' game like LC (where the average potential new player is just looking for something random to do), they're going to just cancel the download and look elsewhere.

My preliminary suggestion for how to improve this, would to be to state on the download page that Aeria Ignite is included with your download, and here's a link to learn more about what it is. Also a simple pop-up at the START of download that states the same.

In addition to this issue, I believe that Ignite should be optional and not required to install any Aeria Game. Especially not without disclosure.

LadyAeris

Rank 3
LadyAeris
PostedOct 04, 2012 3:05 am
As always, more wise words from Ren, I installed this because at the time they were saying something like, "If we get such and such amount of people to install ignite you'll be rewarded with an event," so I was like, "Ok I'll do it, I probably wont be able to partake in the event but I'll do it." Now I cant get rid of it, and the fact that it auto launch when you turn your computer on is just ugh, because I'm pretty sure this slows me down when I turn my computer on and just need it to do something really quick.
Secondly I don't even think it updates itself because when its open it doesn't show that I have Shaiya and EE already downloaded, but that's not the point I'm getting at here. There seems to be no benefits of launching with Ignite.

Aszune

Rank 4
Aszune
PostedOct 04, 2012 8:16 am
Want to know how to make it better?

1. Don't make it start autmatically unless you want it too. I just hate it that every time I click on LC, that things start automatically and lag you out.
  2. Why make it a whole window? It's not like it has a usefull feature except taking in space. How about make it a small bar on top or on bottom that can stay on top of the LC window? That way it's more useful for fullscreen players to see if they have messages, the news they have and so on.

Or else, I'd say: Just remove it.

melrodys

Rank 5
melrodys
PostedOct 04, 2012 8:25 am
LadyAeris wrote:
As always, more wise words from Ren, I installed this because at the time they were saying something like, "If we get such and such amount of people to install ignite you'll be rewarded with an event," so I was like, "Ok I'll do it, I probably wont be able to partake in the event but I'll do it." Now I cant get rid of it, and the fact that it auto launch when you turn your computer on is just ugh, because I'm pretty sure this slows me down when I turn my computer on and just need it to do something really quick.
Secondly I don't even think it updates itself because when its open it doesn't show that I have Shaiya and EE already downloaded, but that's not the point I'm getting at here. There seems to be no benefits of launching with Ignite.  

LadyA you can get it off I did here the 6 post down is how to remove both Ignite and Akamai and
Akamai eating your bandwidth, http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=1170810

andaro

Rank 5.1
andaro
PostedOct 04, 2012 8:52 am
Good suggestions and feedback so far!

Here's what I've seen from the above:

• Disclosure that you are installing bundled software when you click Download on the Games homesite, that you are installing Ignite w/Akamai Networks

• Revert to default Shortcuts/Registry entries when uninstalling Ignite so that players can play the game without having to manually shortcut to the proper launcher, should players choose to uninstall.

• Better refresh/update synchronization between Ignite and your account

• Change / Fix - Default installation directory to be in the same folder with other Aeria Games, so that all games are recognized, or include registry search function to locate your Games install path

• Present the user options when installing such as "Enable/Disable Startup with Windows" or "Enable/Disable Automatic Uploads", etc

• Selectable Modes or Resizing options, such as Compact/Full to take up less desktop space when open

• Docking taskbar/sidebar with Overlay so players can see / receive Ignite notifications while in game full screen

• Ability to read and post to forums and view/talk in shoutboxes from application

Hey! Let's keep this rolling, this is good stuff!

Graut

Rank 3
Graut
PostedOct 04, 2012 9:32 am
andaro wrote:

• Disclosure that you are installing bundled software when you click Download on the Games homesite, that you are installing Ignite w/Akamai Networks

• Present the user options when installing such as "Enable/Disable Startup with Windows" or "Enable/Disable Automatic Uploads", etc

"However, this software is not just a download manager, delivering content from the Internet to the
user's computer, but it is also a peer-to-peer server, delivering content cached on the user's computer
to other users' computers"

Not informing of this and having it automatically enabled by default is to me on the limit of being bad
spyware. Such an amazingly super terrible idea.