LonelyKnight92

Rank 0
LonelyKnight92
PostedOct 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Lag with an 8GB Ram Laptop? How can this be?

Still lagging with an 8GB Ram Laptop
Why is it that with a faster computer such as my 8GB ram laptop compared to my old 2GB ram laptop, my 8GB is laggy worse now? Is there something wrong with the game? I dont have alot of programs running either.

Need new signature pic
Advertisement

Mocarze

GameSage: Eden Eternal
Mocarze
PostedOct 03, 2012 5:39 pm
Ram is almost irrelevent on EE once you have over 2gb. Processor, video card, as well as other programs taking up resources will be the difference makers.

magnusbear

Rank 0
PostedOct 03, 2012 6:13 pm
to be quite honest, client side hardware is quite irrelevant, even a faster processor and graphics chipset will yeild little improvement. The issue is with the game engine, not the hardware we run it on.

EE is not multithreaded, so multi core processors give minimal benefits. Additional core can only take over other programs running in background, not add to EE performance directly.

Graphics cards can improve frame rate in normal pve situations, but make little to no difference in TW, aven ch1 etc.

There is also substantial server side lag at times (like when you cant talk to npc, server busy msg etc) so dont be quick to blame your hardware

nitesdreamer

Rank 0
PostedOct 03, 2012 6:33 pm
Mind posting us other specs? I rather not explain what/why Eden is/isnt and rather point to obvious weak points. If anything, I'd point to a weaker processor and a slow graphics card. Of all the things in a computer, ram is the easiest to scale. Not so much the processor/graphics card, more so because its in a laptop.

Extra0rdinary

Rank 2
Extra0rdinary
PostedOct 03, 2012 8:44 pm
Lag can also be dependent upon your connection speed. You may want to check your connection to the server.

LonelyKnight92

Rank 0
LonelyKnight92
PostedNov 25, 2012 8:22 pm
Mocarze wrote:
Ram is almost irrelevent on EE once you have over 2gb. Processor, video card, as well as other programs taking up resources will be the difference makers.  

then why do i also lag when trying to stream?

Need new signature pic

paleosoul

Rank 0
paleosoul
PostedNov 29, 2012 2:13 pm
LonelyKnight92 wrote:
then why do i also lag when trying to stream?  

That most likely has to do with compatibility, site traffic or connection issues via certain zones in the U.S. The 8 gigs of ram is far more memory then any game will use or simple net surfing. When your surfing or playing a game just bring up your task manager and under the performance tab you will see the excess ram available.

You could try adjusting your page file to min lvl or remove it all together given the amount of ram you have to see if that helps with lag in the game. I would go with min page file because windows will always make a page file even when you turn it off, just make sure the min/max amount are the same. In theory by lowering the page file you force windows to use more of the faster hardware memory vs the slower virtual memory on the hard drive.

amacle12

Rank 1
PostedNov 30, 2012 6:10 pm
This type of question does come up quite often among gamers.

One possible and perhaps probable reason is the newer processor you have. Many new processors sacrafice clock rate in order to have more cores on the die. This can be a great performance boost, BT it requires software to be written and compiled to take advantage of these multiple cores. Software has to be multi-threaded. This is a rare practice in games, especially f2p MMOs, as it would cause a huge problem to those with older single core systems.

For many games a faster processor with fewer cores can perform better. Also, check your running software, especially windows. Win 7's aero interface can cause a huge performance drain. Disable it and see how you fare. Also, check your firewall and AV software. Try to disable them for 10 mins and see how the game plays, just to rule out a conflict there (remember to activate them again afterwards, we wouldnt want any security issues on your shiny new system)

I would also recommend doing a ping test and speedtest to make sure your internet connectivity isnt causing the problem.