lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
PostedSep 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Suggestion for the method of uploading signatures

So, in lieu of the recent Profile CSS thread that I'm sure we're all aware of, this idea came to me that I think, in all honesty, would be a pretty smart way to get rid of the over-sized signatures that run rampant on the forums, and a good way of keeping players out of trouble for having signatures that are too large.

When we want to upload a new avatar, we're required to upload a file that will be either accepted or rejected if it is/isn't within the dimensions allowed, right? I think that same approach should be applied to signatures as well. Players should have to upload the file and if it is too large, it will be rejected. I understand file size would still be a problem, but at least the dimensions could be controlled better.

If you have feedback regarding this suggestion, please keep it on topic and refrain from arguing with each other.
Advertisement

smileybee

smileybee
PostedSep 28, 2012 7:45 pm
Ohai ^^
Well technically that might requires them to write more codes, and the tech team does have a lot of priorities other then just little forum niches. to be honest, totally agree with you. I lurks a round forum and a lot of forum newbies participating in 'Siggy' events often have that problem. But unless you write the codes yourself and RT it to their tech team, they probably not going to think too much about it.

And unlike profile picture, AGE does not host signature picture on their static. So it would be quite hard to implement it in code. Unless, they code niches.
(not to mention they also allow text on user signatures)
To do that would cause numerous complication, and time and effort that aeria tech team does not have.
(and those aeria forum lag spike, I really wish they can do those things you mentioned but qq)
If you know how and want to make their life easier, go forward! best wishes. <3

<marquee></marquee>
<center></center>

Naeng

Rank 3
Naeng
PostedSep 29, 2012 12:40 am
No lestat, just look at my avatar.

lestat_anil

lestat_anil
PostedSep 29, 2012 1:24 am
smileybee wrote:
-text here-  

I don't understand what you're saying, I'm sorry. The system already exists for uploading avatars, it wouldn't be difficult to also adjust it for signatures as well. While I understand it wouldn't be at the top of their "list of priorities" it's simply a suggestion for something I'd like to see happen in the future ^^

iBambi

Rank 5
iBambi
PostedSep 29, 2012 5:48 am
lestat_anil wrote:
smileybee wrote:
-text here-  

I don't understand what you're saying, I'm sorry. The system already exists for uploading avatars, it wouldn't be difficult to also adjust it for signatures as well. While I understand it wouldn't be at the top of their "list of priorities" it's simply a suggestion for something I'd like to see happen in the future ^^  

The place where you post your signature is similar to the Media and Blurb windows. You can either add text, like in your blurb or you can add an image. This is why making it the same system as for avatars, would disable the option to have simple text as your signature.

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
PostedSep 29, 2012 7:21 am
That would require changing a core aspect of the forum coding.

Given our web dev's history of messing up the website when making even the simplest of changes, I'd have to oppose this idea.

<center></center>

TheNinjaKitten

Rank 5
TheNinjaKitten
PostedSep 29, 2012 7:36 am
The avatar upload function hasn't even been adjusted to reflect the actual forum rules placed by Supes. Asking for something like this is quite the long-shot.
On a side note, they could place the same restrictions without the need to upload the image files to the Aeria servers (or taking away from any other aspects of the signature as Bambi has stated). This method would also be a lot less time consuming to code - not even half a days work for one person.

Aside from that, I'm sure they are already aware of all of this.

ijjimilan

Rank 4
ijjimilan
PostedSep 29, 2012 7:51 am
There are some free forum hosts that resize signatures if they are too big automatically and adds a link saying 'image has been resized click here for full image', it could be an option.
Not sure about how to restrict size.

GunZ Stats website: http://gunzstats.vacau.com