Xtcmax

Rank 0
Xtcmax
PostedSep 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Signatures...

what strikes me weird
I love all of your works, it is awesome. What strikes me as strange is that majority, as in 99.9% of the artists here, work in a same format:

c4d, smudge, smudge,smudge,c4d.

I wonder if any of you work in a different style? Don't get me wrong, the works are purely amazing, but they're just so generic/similar to each other. When I look at the signatures, they are different, yes, but the overall style is the same. Anyone does vector or composition style/poster ?

If you do, i would LOVE to see some different styles.

You can do one for me:

I am a Shemale
Name: Jaydarra
Elf

Smile

Advertisement

NyokoSilent

Rank 3
NyokoSilent
PostedSep 25, 2012 11:43 pm
o.O Um who uses smudge?

Snowydew

Rank 5
Snowydew
PostedSep 25, 2012 11:55 pm
A few premades that I have made that are a bit different in style than normal. Request if you'd like one. Smile

Xtcmax

Rank 0
Xtcmax
PostedSep 26, 2012 12:02 am
i like the middle one

uberfearr

Rank 3
uberfearr
PostedSep 26, 2012 12:58 am
I don't quite follow the c4d/smudge comment, as I have only seen less than a handful of people in this forum use that kind of style.

But one thing I think you should understand is a lot of us pull inspiration from other artists here, and most of us are always trying to improve our techniques, and styles, etc. So while you may see one similar style now, it could totally - and probably will - change a bit later down the road in say a few months, when we've moved on to new styles to try and new techniques. Many of us are still trying to find a style that suits us. So when an artist comes and ventures into a different style, and a few artists see it, ofc we want to try it out, put our own spin on it, and see if it works for us. Eventually we move on though or only retain a few elements.

If you're a long time 'resident' (yes, resident, most of us live in this forum lol) then you will see over time, how many different phases the artists and this forum in general have been through. From text clipping mask signatures, to oddly shaped popouts, to c4d, etc.

Many times trying new things is a slower, more subtle process that, in the big picture at the end of the phase, is a totally different style and work than seen in a previous phase for that artist. Mmm, it made more sense in my head. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks like this. xD

^^

Snowydew

Rank 5
Snowydew
PostedSep 26, 2012 1:19 am
uberfearr wrote:
I don't quite follow the c4d/smudge comment, as I have only seen less than a handful of people in this forum use that kind of style.

But one thing I think you should understand is a lot of us pull inspiration from other artists here, and most of us are always trying to improve our techniques, and styles, etc. So while you may see one similar style now, it could totally - and probably will - change a bit later down the road in say a few months, when we've moved on to new styles to try and new techniques. Many of us are still trying to find a style that suits us. So when an artist comes and ventures into a different style, and a few artists see it, ofc we want to try it out, put our own spin on it, and see if it works for us. Eventually we move on though or only retain a few elements.

If you're a long time 'resident' (yes, resident, most of us live in this forum lol) then you will see over time, how many different phases the artists and this forum in general have been through. From text clipping mask signatures, to oddly shaped popouts, to c4d, etc.

Many times trying new things is a slower, more subtle process that, in the big picture at the end of the phase, is a totally different style and work than seen in a previous phase for that artist. Mmm, it made more sense in my head. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks like this. xD

^^  

very very well said
/applauds

fairyz

Rank 2
fairyz
PostedSep 26, 2012 4:03 am
I don't see where the c4d/smudge comment comes from either, no offense. o.o
Personally I never use c4d, and only rarely use smudge.

Siggy by zuzurainyday @ sundays' shop

B4trilogy

Rank 0
B4trilogy
PostedSep 26, 2012 6:26 am
Artists make works that look appealing. Personally, traditional style signatures with 500 x 300 dimensions, boxed off with borders look appealing to me. However, dynamic style signatures with no true borders, in a PNG format, look appealing to some more than others. There's really no need for a change in style because the style is all the same, that's the wrong reason. If one were to create signatures that are off the traditional marks because they like it that way, then by all means. Though let me list off a few points of interest:

1) Animes and (most)human renders work exceptionally well in traditional style signatures. The boxed off, fixed ratio gives the piece a constant canvas, allowing for easy manipulation of depth, flow, and light source.

2) 1st person shooter games, and most 3D games of that sort work well with dynamic cut out signatures. Since the way the renders are made, they already look three dimensional, so making the render 'pop' out of the box make it look appealing. However, most (if not all) anime renders cannot work this way, because if you were to take them outside the fixed aspect ratio of a 500x300 signature, then the render outside will look flat whereas the rest of the signature will have depth. It doesn't work.

There are ways to work around these, of course, art is ever evolving. I myself intend to expand outside of the traditional style signatures and dip my fingers into dynamic style.
-yolo.

<center></center>

PigIer

Rank 3
PigIer
PostedSep 26, 2012 7:23 am
Sorry, but what the f-ck does the format have to do with it? PNG is far better than .jpg - more colours allowed and better quality besides a smaller file.

And what you see in these forums can't really be called a traditional style; most graphic sites have loads of different styles, I must say I very, very rarely see signatures like you find here elsewhere (not saying the quality differs in any way).

And to the author of the original post; I've seen C4Ds and smudge used very rarely.

NyokoSilent

Rank 3
NyokoSilent
PostedSep 26, 2012 7:27 am
B4trilogy wrote:

2) 1st person shooter games, and most 3D games of that sort work well with dynamic cut out signatures. Since the way the renders are made, they already look three dimensional, so making the render 'pop' out of the box make it look appealing. However, most (if not all) anime renders cannot work this way, because if you were to take them outside the fixed aspect ratio of a 500x300 signature, then the render outside will look flat whereas the rest of the signature will have depth. It doesn't work.

That's just how you view anime tho. Most(almost all) renders can work with ANY style. Yeah it might see fit for another theme of renders but you can make it work. It's what the artist feel like doing. You're taking an image and using it OUTSIDE of it's comfort zone. That's the whole point of experimenting and trying new things. What doesn't work to you might work to someone who else enjoys making signatures like that. After all it is nothing but your OPINION.