hnc93

Rank 0
hnc93
PostedSep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Staff Mastery

Good or Bad?
Hello guys,
I have been stalking forums secretly for a while by now but this will be my first participation. I got a question up, and I need your opinions.

I'm a HM Priest, a build based on heals, a healer. I have only used daggers until now since it provides faster spell casting. It actually did bug me at first too but I gave up on it after finding some good daggers for my level. Now that I have completed the 43 Epic quest, I got the elemental staff, which has "a bit fast" attack speed, and 42 WIS, which is perfect, for a healer.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I should change to staves again, and upgrade Staff Mastery. As my level advances, it's getting harder for me to find proper WIS Stat/OJ daggers, and the prices began to advance between the same stats of staff and dagger. So I was thinking if I should change, or not?

If I did open the Staff Mastery and used my epic elemental staff, since it also has "a bit fast" speed, plus the +1 speed mastery skill gives, it would be equal to having use of a dagger, plus an elemental and high amount of WIS for it's level.

And for the bad side, it has no slots available, after I pass beyond certain level, there will be best to it, and it will become useless. That is unless, if there's any other staff which has "a bit fast" attack-speed.

Currently what's equal to the quest staff is Facade Blade(Green). Which can have single base stat of maximally 42, plus OJs. It can even go past beyond it, however, such a one with WIS is sold for billions.

A level 35 greenie dagger, which I don't recall it's name, can have a single base stat of maximally 38, plus OJs. It goes around a billion at max for a WIS one.

So in conclusion, what to do? I will be leveling this toon to 70 and will keep it as a healer. So I do require faster casting, and can't give up on it. What should I do, I need your opinions, please.

Thanks, regards.
Exquisite from server Phoenix
Advertisement

Hezam

Rank 4
PostedSep 11, 2012 7:28 pm
I don't recommend Staff for Priest, Dagger is always better for Priest from Level 1 to 70.
Fast Casting is more important than some stats.
I believe 95% of priests agree with me.

Superfrog1219

Rank 4
Superfrog1219
PostedSep 11, 2012 7:56 pm
Yep.

Dagger is faster and better for healing, some healers even flash it (which I am not a fan of).

Staff is slower but way more attack power so better for magic DPS wither that is battle priest/orc or mage/pagan.

Using the staff though can be more stats, takes a flash/swift for sure to be uber and you waste a lot of skill points you will need later on the staff mastery.

RelentlessPace

Rank 4
RelentlessPace
PostedSep 11, 2012 10:34 pm
Hezam wrote:
I don't recommend Staff for Priest, Dagger is always better for Priest from Level 1 to 70.
Fast Casting is more important than some stats.
I believe 95% of priests agree with me.  

i m the left 5% ..i dont think stafffs are worst the daggers.

the difference is not the casting time speed, but the speed between the castings. with dagger is faster indeed. but if u dont spamm heal or ur skills ...is same thing as using staff.

my real oppinion about why daggers proper for use then staffs for priests, especially healers is that u wont see a surgeon using a staff to cut open a pacient to fix him... yes surgeon use a dagger Very Happy.

that is all!

heath601

Rank 0
PostedSep 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Staff Mastery

Good or Bad?
hnc93 wrote:
Hello guys,
I have been stalking forums secretly for a while by now but this will be my first participation. I got a question up, and I need your opinions.

I'm a HM Priest, a build based on heals, a healer. I have only used daggers until now since it provides faster spell casting. It actually did bug me at first too but I gave up on it after finding some good daggers for my level. Now that I have completed the 43 Epic quest, I got the elemental staff, which has "a bit fast" attack speed, and 42 WIS, which is perfect, for a healer.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I should change to staves again, and upgrade Staff Mastery. As my level advances, it's getting harder for me to find proper WIS Stat/OJ daggers, and the prices began to advance between the same stats of staff and dagger. So I was thinking if I should change, or not?

If I did open the Staff Mastery and used my epic elemental staff, since it also has "a bit fast" speed, plus the +1 speed mastery skill gives, it would be equal to having use of a dagger, plus an elemental and high amount of WIS for it's level.

And for the bad side, it has no slots available, after I pass beyond certain level, there will be best to it, and it will become useless. That is unless, if there's any other staff which has "a bit fast" attack-speed.

Currently what's equal to the quest staff is Facade Blade(Green). Which can have single base stat of maximally 42, plus OJs. It can even go past beyond it, however, such a one with WIS is sold for billions.

A level 35 greenie dagger, which I don't recall it's name, can have a single base stat of maximally 38, plus OJs. It goes around a billion at max for a WIS one.

So in conclusion, what to do? I will be leveling this toon to 70 and will keep it as a healer. So I do require faster casting, and can't give up on it. What should I do, I need your opinions, please.

Thanks, regards.
Exquisite from server Phoenix

My opinion is use a staff. To me the speed difference is barely noticeable but the stat's you get from staff is very useful. It is easier to find a staff with the stat's you would want then a dagger with the stat's you would want. Not to mention your more likely to get a staff from a quest making it easier on the pocket.

completion_0

Rank 0
completion_0
PostedSep 16, 2012 11:40 am
In my opinion, healers should always use a dagger. The difference in usable stat points at higher levels (60+) is 10. You can either go with a +50 WIS staff or a +30 WIS/+10 REC dagger. By choosing a dagger, you lose only 10 stat points compared to a staff, plus attack speed. Attack speed is pivotal to healing. Although it is hard to see the usefulness of attack speed when using healing or instant heal, it is more expressly seen when using instant casts, such as dispel, restore, ultimate restoration, instant healing spam on potential motive, etc. Keep in mind that most of the time, fast dispels are more important than healing.

The +10 REC isn't a bad addition either, giving +10 defense and +50 HP. Also, by selecting a dagger, you will save skill points that you would need to invest in staff mastery. Considering on a full REC healer I had about 1.2k WIS, the loss of the 20 WIS by choosing dagger over staff isn't significant.

I suggest to get a dagger and flash it. This yields faster dispels, which actually allows you more time to spend healing. I know that it is possible to get extremely fast with a staff, but it is more expensive to do so (Skill points and swift, I believe; or flash+melons).

When you get over level 60, daggers only come with 3 different base stats, STR/DEX/LUC , WIS/REC/LUC , and INT/REC/LUC, so it should be easier to find appropriate base stats when you get there.

tl;dr: Use a flashed dagger

WingsHearts

Rank 4
WingsHearts
PostedSep 16, 2012 2:02 pm
completion_0 wrote:
In my opinion, healers should always use a dagger. The difference in usable stat points at higher levels (60+) is 10. You can either go with a +50 WIS staff or a +30 WIS/+10 REC dagger. By choosing a dagger, you lose only 10 stat points compared to a staff, plus attack speed. Attack speed is pivotal to healing. Although it is hard to see the usefulness of attack speed when using healing or instant heal, it is more expressly seen when using instant casts, such as dispel, restore, ultimate restoration, instant healing spam on potential motive, etc. Keep in mind that most of the time, fast dispels are more important than healing.

The +10 REC isn't a bad addition either, giving +10 defense and +50 HP. Also, by selecting a dagger, you will save skill points that you would need to invest in staff mastery. Considering on a full REC healer I had about 1.2k WIS, the loss of the 20 WIS by choosing dagger over staff isn't significant.

I suggest to get a dagger and flash it. This yields faster dispels, which actually allows you more time to spend healing. I know that it is possible to get extremely fast with a staff, but it is more expensive to do so (Skill points and swift, I believe; or flash+melons).

When you get over level 60, daggers only come with 3 different base stats, STR/DEX/LUC , WIS/REC/LUC , and INT/REC/LUC, so it should be easier to find appropriate base stats when you get there.

tl;dr: Use a flashed dagger  

^ this. ^.^

Though from the first paragraph..

Attack speed is pivotal to healing. Although it is hard to see the usefulness of attack speed when using healing  

I do notice the difference when spamming 'Healing', or even with Healing & Dispel combo's. If I'm not on extremely fast I scramble for my mouse to click on an IC, it feels so slow even on very fast, idk why, been playing orc since I started this game, maybe that's why, no idea. xD

I think it also looks weird seeing someone healing with a staff, looks like they're using a lamp post. XD

Considering on a full REC healer I had about 1.2k WIS, the loss of the 20 WIS by choosing dagger over staff isn't significant.  

Exactly. If you want that bit extra WIS to make up a certain number [like I done with my orcy, I put all my PvP points in WIS to make up 8k heals], then just restat or add your PvP points in WIS for a while. It's not a necessity to be full REC. ^_^

completion_0

Rank 0
completion_0
PostedSep 16, 2012 2:29 pm
WingsHearts wrote:

I do notice the difference when spamming 'Healing', or even with Healing & Dispel combo's. If I'm not on extremely fast I scramble for my mouse to click on an IC, it feels so slow even on very fast, idk why, been playing orc since I started this game, maybe that's why, no idea. xD  

Yeah, it's still there, but I suppose I should have said it can be best seen when using only instant casts, such as straight dispels. It's just way easier to observe the time you are actually losing

Exactly. If you want that bit extra WIS to make up a certain number [like I done with my orcy, I put all my PvP points in WIS to make up 8k heals], then just restat or add your PvP points in WIS for a while. It's not a necessity to be full REC. ^_^  

I suppose I should expand on why I mentioned full REC. Full rec suffers the most from loss of WIS. They will lose a higher percentage of their heals compared to someone with WIS in their build. It was just to illustrate that -20 WIS isn't a problem even for a full REC build, so it isn't a huge loss to any build you go with on any healer.

splasher__

Rank 5.1
splasher__
PostedSep 16, 2012 2:49 pm
WingsHearts and Comp sucks.
Go staff and be like me, a pro.

My two cents.

Masuyuu

Rank 4
Masuyuu
PostedSep 16, 2012 5:01 pm
I'm going to be part of that 5% and say Daggers aren't necessary, it's better for spamming but I've never been into just wildly spamming dispel or the the other instants as it doesn't seem to yield as great a result as people claim.

I'd rather wait that extra second for the full load of debuffs to roll in and get rid of em all at once than wasting 2-4 casts before a heal or trying to squeeze one in between heals, mostly since it annoyed me to get quick dispels off just to have them debuffed again not even a second later. =_=

Stats I never really looked to much into since unless you're getting luck/dex dagger the stats between dagger and a staff are pretty negligible. There is that speed thing and I don't know of any staff beside the epic and I think redout? that have higher base speed but 63+ the stats far out do the epic even before linking.

If you have the points to spend to get the mastery and maybe a flash/swift to help with staff speed it can be just as good if not better.
It's not for everyone but it seems a tad inefficient on paper but they said same about not having recovery back in day but I still made that NM work better than most HMs >.>