andaro

Rank 5.1
andaro
PostedAug 10, 2012 12:03 am
Hmmm thats a tough one for Blizzard, since they are supposed to be the leading role-models in the MMO industry....

I'm glad we have an awesome engineering team. Not that we will ever be completely immune to attacks, but I'm glad they put extra effort into security measures beforehand instead of afterwards....I mean to say that I'm glad Aeria looks ahead to what Could happen, instead of waiting for it to happen.
Advertisement

Aegwynn

Rank 4
Aegwynn
PostedAug 10, 2012 12:49 am
Well from what they say it seems it was pretty good, at least, compared to how Yahoo stored user passwords…

ghostcannon

Rank 5
ghostcannon
PostedAug 10, 2012 10:10 am
Thanks for the Heads up!....Glad I don't use Blizzard....that company has serious security issues. It is not the first, not the second, and not the third time they have security breaches.

Credit to [GS]Abso for the Siggy

AriaSaitcho

Rank 3
AriaSaitcho
PostedAug 10, 2012 12:04 pm
Thanks for the info supes. I just have got to editorialize on this: LMAO!! ugg my sides hurt D:

XD

blaznyuu

Rank 4
blaznyuu
PostedAug 10, 2012 1:28 pm
it's really nice to see that we're being warned about this kind of stuff on this forum. this way you save aeria games memebers that happen to have the same password on their aeria games accounts.

My Event: click this if you're not single =^.^= ElumineLily, 25thNight, BlaZcoWicZ, 25thBaam, iNyuuBlaZ, RWBY, Yoredet, KIRITOxASUNA, ShiWoonYi, NiTianErXing

Vafx

Rank 3
Vafx
PostedAug 10, 2012 3:10 pm
andaro wrote:
Hmmm thats a tough one for Blizzard, since they are supposed to be the leading role-models in the MMO industry....

I'm glad we have an awesome engineering team. Not that we will ever be completely immune to attacks, but I'm glad they put extra effort into security measures beforehand instead of afterwards....I mean to say that I'm glad Aeria looks ahead to what Could happen, instead of waiting for it to happen.  

It's not as easy as you'd think to protect yourself. Some attacks can't be stopped because they've never been used before (e.g Zero-day exploits.)

Aeria has weak security. If they used free tools like Metasploit, Tenable Nessus, Nexpose, etc... they would already know that. There was a reason that AGE reset everyone's password months ago... but when you're not in the spotlight like Blizzard, it is a lot easier to just sweep things like that under the rug. On top of that their site use to be loaded with XSS/SQLi vulnerabilities. It still is to some extent. If AGE had a large player base... perhaps one the size of Blizzard's... I'm sure it would be much more apparent how bad their security actually is. Razz

'Cyber defense' is mostly a reactionary stance. While you may be able to get ideas by watching various 'hacker' chatrooms, browsing exploit-db, or perhaps taking a dive into the so-called 'deep web' or whatever.. It's still very hard to predict the next attack vectors. Luckily though, there are large companies (like Blizzard & Sony) to take the hit so everyone else can proceed to patch their systems and improve their security before they get hit as well!

Lu_Bu484

Rank 2
Lu_Bu484
PostedAug 10, 2012 4:02 pm
dxfatty wrote:
at least we are not blizzard....  

It's not even worth hackers time to hack Aeria, they'll only end up in loss

choigame2011

Rank 0
PostedAug 10, 2012 4:32 pm

what's happen with Aeria Ignite?

GirlBlunder

Rank 4
GirlBlunder
PostedAug 10, 2012 4:53 pm
andaro wrote:

Aeria was already compromised quite some time ago.

Blizz still has way better security, they're just a bigger target. What Aeria makes is chump change in comparison.

Authenticators ftw.

djodjo57

Rank 5
djodjo57
PostedAug 10, 2012 6:03 pm
GirlBlunder wrote:

Authenticators ftw.  

If i get a mail/phishing for an aeria game = i can lose my account

on blizzard = i keep my account

i love the Authenticators too <3