cnctina2

Rank 3
cnctina2
PostedAug 06, 2012 8:12 am

Archer/Hunter roll in a Perfect Party

So after leveling yet another archer to 70 and experiencing the frustration of being rejected over and over for perfect parties due to my class, I thought it was time for another archer PP guide. I see many people here looking for advice on builds and skills but not much about roles in a perfect party. I think anyone who has tried to level an archer can agree that we need to address this. So lets start the discussion here.

What not to do:

First thing to remember is that we are a support class. When we are in a party our roll is not to be the main DPS so please stop trying to be. Whenever I see an archer in a PP start hitting the pull too soon, trying to out DPS the fighters, I cringe as I watch them pull agro off. Tanks hate this and if you are doing it you are screwing up the PP and that tank will not want to party archers/hunters in the future.

Do not go afk because you don't think you can do anything to help. (This feeling may come if you are constantly pulling agro, see suggestion above.)

This is the role that I have found is most appreciated by others and gets me invited back:

First - Protect the priests. While the tank is pulling the mobs you should be back by the priests making sure they make it through the missed mobs and respawns. Our ranged attack and field of vision makes us the best class for this roll. This also gives the tank time to get agro of the pull before you hit it.

Second - When you see the HP of the mobs down about 50% help dps the pull using your AOE's and finish off the mobs. Be sure to always keep your eye on the priests even when dpsing the pull.

Third - If you find that the pull is getting killed too fast and you feel like you are not helping enough, which is often the case. You can always pick off the mobs that the tank missed.

Fourth - Repeat for every pull.

Of course this is only my two cents and what I have learned from leveling 2 archers to 60 and 2 to 70. You may have found success using other tactics in a perfect party, if so please post them here so we can all benefit.

Tina

Advertisement

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedAug 06, 2012 8:47 am
Sound advice.

Triggerhappy as I am, I usually don't have the patience to wait until mobs have half their HP left before I start pitching in, though. Which of course can get me into trouble if I am slightly too quick off the mark, so patience is a good thing for an archer in PvE. If you want to be an aggressive archer in a party, you better have the gears for surviving becoming the party tank through your own enthusiasm. Wink

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.

kmhasan

Rank 3
kmhasan
PostedAug 09, 2012 5:24 pm
6 archers + 1 priest PP beats any AoEing party filled with other classes.

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedAug 10, 2012 2:57 pm
kmhasan wrote:
6 archers + 1 priest PP beats any AoEing party filled with other classes.  

True. Nothing better than an archer PP. Shame they are so rare.

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.