Avyn

Rank 5.2
Avyn
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:10 pm

One Rant...

Gotta Rule 'Em All!
Hi there. This is back by demand and left unedited for your intimate pleasure (except this paragraph, of course, and a few minor updates to outdated details). As a disclaimer, I will say that I felt that this rant was misused by some people in its first run and I had considered taking it down several times before its untimely demise. Keep in mind that this rant is very likely not about YOU. It's about certain people who have chose to make this website their personal compost heap. You probably know some of them. Maybe there's certain things in this rant that you have been guilty of as well. I know I have.

As a reminder to all of us who sometimes need to be told to read the manual, I present:

Kthnxbai

Part I - Think the GS program is useless?

Congratulations!

If you're both (a) a veteran to the game and (b) a self righteous knob, chances are that you believe that the GS program is useless and should be abolished. No doubt, you probably view every encounter with one of these community volunteers as an excellent opportunity to whip out the cylindrical appendage enlarger device and pointlessly rebel in front of your friends and peers.

What is the point of the program! Most of the GS are not experts at the game! Most of them aren't dedicated PvPers! Most of them aren't Lv70 with a lot of endgame experience! Most of them haven't been here since closed beta and oversaw all the changes that the game underwent! How could they POSSIBLY be of any use when I know more then them about the game features!

BREAKING NEWS

RTM. You clearly have no idea what the GS program is or why it exists. Arguing your invalid points just makes you look stupid.

The GS are volunteers whose purpose is to introduce people to the basic functions of the game, make the rules and protocol of the game known, and to inspire community spirit with things like PvP events. They are NOT here to tell you how to complete all of the endgame dungeons. They are NOT here to tell you the best PvP build. They are NOT here to run complex experiments on how hit accuracy works. That stuff doesn't even matter to newer players to whom the GS are most useful. If a GS is not doing a good job, that is being the GS is poor, not because the program is useless. It's pompous and ridiculous to think that not being an elite veteran makes you unqualified to assist someone with filing a ticket. Get real and get over yourself.

You don't need to be Steven Spielberg to direct your son's Christmas pageant. You don't need to be a veteran PvPer to be a GS. Perhaps with your line of reasoning, we should start hiring nuclear physicists to be grade 3 science teachers.

The irony is that you're likely too awesome to realize this and will view this as an excellent opportunity to whip out the cylindrical appendage enlarger device and pointlessly rebel in front of your friends and peers.

If you want to have a GS removed, send in a ticket as to why accompanied by evidence. If you think that you're too important to do this or if your goal isn't even improvement in the first place, then ST*U and GT*O.

Kthnxbai.

Part II - I BUY AP!!! WHY WAS I BAN????????????????????

Surprised

Good for you.

See here's thing though.

What you probably fail to realize (among a vast assortment of other things) is that you purchasing AP or not purchasing AP makes for almost no difference in the company whatsoever. Yes. Even if you buy a lot, because I know that was your next question.

Here's how the system works.

Aeria sells AP for money. You buy AP for money. You sell AP for gold. Other players buy AP for gold.

Ok, now pay attention very carefully. What I'm about to do may blow your mind, so feel free to read this a few times if you don't catch on right away.

Aeria sells AP for money. Other players buy AP for gold.

See what I did there?

The point is that buying AP or not buying AP is actually quite irrelevant to Aeria's business. It's called microtransactions for a reason. To put it in perspective for you, less than 10% of the community buys AP. Do you know what that means? It means that more 90% of Aeria's sales are to non-AP buyers. Who's more important now? Still think you should be given special treatment because you think that your money is special? Think again. Players will always find a seller for their AP needs. Withdrawing your financial support just means that the small 10% of the community has to cover the difference, which is probably about 5 cents per person Laughing

So yes! Get ENRAGED at Aeria! DEMAND for customer service because without you, THE COMMUNITY WILL FEEL THE WEIGHT OF YOUR FIVE CENTS!!!!!

Real life example time.

Farmer grows wheat.
Farmer sells wheat to a bakery.
Bakery sells wheat to customers.

Saying that you're more important to Aeria than non-AP buyers is like saying that a bakery is more important to a farmer than people who eat bread. The only people who truly do not contribute to Aeria's profit are those who do not use AP items at all. This would include people who have been playing for a week or less and that's about it.

So, yeah, I guess you could complain that you are more important to Aeria than some nub who made an account and started downloading a game while I was typing this. Feel proud. Keep checking the "newest members" page on the homepage so that you can virtually stalk and harass the new users for being less important than you. Aeria won't care, right? They don't buy AP!

Dumb.

Kthnxbai.

Part III - Tired of the GMs ignoring the community?

Perhaps your grievances of the GMs would contain less fail if you understood what their job is. Their job is in customer service. They are not responsible nor to blame for the following:

• Game glitches. This is a problem with the product, which is developed by a third party company and overseen by our product manager. Ranting at a GM about it is about as constructive and intelligent as yelling at your waitress for the restaurant to be out of red peppers. Use some brain power. Your waitress doesn't order the peppers. She doesn't grow the peppers. She doesn't ship the peppers. She doesn't cook the peppers. She doesn't put the peppers on the plate. Her job is to bring you the peppers. Feel free to be touchy with her if she forgot them in the kitchen on a slow Sunday afternoon. ST*U if you're going to yell at her for the shipping company missing an order. Feel free to get cranky with a GM for not handling your ticket professionally. ST*U if you're going to rant about a Res Rune not activating.

• Inflated economy. While this problem stems from various sources, it is NOT the fault of one group/individual and it is NOT the fault of the GMs. At all. To think that it is solely the fault of AP buyers, you are stupid. If you think this is solely the fault of the product manager, you are stupid. If you think that this is solely contributed to greed, you're stupid. If you think that it can be fixed with one easy solution, you're naive and foolish. The AP buyers want to make profit. The Lapisia are in high demand and cost too much for their dependability. The real world economy indirectly influences the in game economy. People with a lot of gold don't care about prices. The in game raffles set a new standard for AP item prices. GUESS WHAT. The GM controls none of this. You control some. Other players control some. The product manager controls some. OPEC and Wall Street control some. The guy with 40 stacks of gold bars in his warehouse controls some. Want a simple solution to reign in the economy? EASY. Simply (a) get all influences, regardless of whether or not they are aware of the other's existence, to exist in complete harmony with each other and seek only to do what is good for everyone or (b) systematically kill off all who disagree with you.

• Implementing game features. Again, if your job is in customer service, then you aren't responsible for developing or altering the product. If your job is in management, this is not your job either. If your job is in publishing video games developed by 3rd party companies, then this is not your job. Your job is to market the product. Your job is to promote the product. Your job is to supervise the use of the product. Your job is to moderate the people who use the product. Your job is to deal with the customers of the product. In any company that has business relationships with another company, there will be contracts and agreements between the two. Not that it is their job to do so, but Aeria is not permitted, by contract, to change the Shaiya client. If they did, the developers could take legal measures and withdraw their product. Aeria may suggest and request changes, but the developer decides what happens. Since they are in the business of selling a product to companies and not players, patches are not high priority since they will get paid for selling the rights to distribute the game regardless. Sure, this may not be common knowledge if you're awesome at life or new to the game, but a simple solution of RTM would have prevented failure.

Try not to assume things or pass judgment based on your own ignorance.

Kthnxbai.

Part IV - I'm an adult and this game has boobs!

Feel free to go ahead and give yourself a clap. You've managed to unravel some of the greatest mysteries of life. You have discovered your age in relation to society and what shape these pixels have taken upon themselves.

Here's a handy definition of the word content.

con·tent (kon'tent')

n.

1. Something contained, as in a receptacle. Often used in the plural: the contents of my desk drawer; the contents of an aerosol can.
    • The individual items or topics that are dealt with in a publication or document. Often used in the plural: a table of contents.
    • The material, including text and images, that constitutes a publication or document.

• The substantive or meaningful part: "The brain is hungry not for method but for content, especially content which contains generalizations that are powerful, precise, and explicit" (Frederick Turner).
    • The meaning or significance of a literary or artistic work.

2. The proportion of a specified substance: Eggs have a high protein content.

In other words, content would be anything you find in the game. This content is developed by the developer. They are a company based in Asia, with no affiliation with you as a player whatsoever.

Next, I want to show a nice definition of the word conduct.

con·duct (kon'dukt')

n.

1. The way a person acts, especially from the standpoint of morality and ethics.
  2. The act of directing or controlling; management.

How FASCINATING. I have discovered that conduct and content have entirely different meanings. And after all this time, I thought that swearing in game and being sexually vulgar was just fine because of the content of the game! Wow, to discover that they're completely unrelated should have been obvious, but here I am shocked beyond belief. No wonder they kicked me out of the theatre for swearing at other customers! No wonder I was asked to leave the arcade for loudly talking in detail about the chick I picked up at the bar last night! It all makes perfect sense now. Despite ratings or content, the company that hosts a product is allowed to moderate and impose rules on their customers. Of course.

In order to not look like a total idiot when telling people to ST*U and turn on their language filter, try reading THIS and THIS before agreeing to them next time.

Kthnxbai.

Section V - Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

O MAI GAWD. So the axis of evil, the most heinous villains in the known universe, the notorious forum Nazis, have moved your thread.

WTF! MOAR PPL READ THIS SECTION, SO I POST IT HERE!!!!!!!

Feel free to give yourself another clap. You have successfully provoked such monumental emotion and spirit in the community by rallying the members against someone correcting your miserable fail.

Quote 1: "It's not like the forums were a mess before the crazy moderation."
Quote 2: "I remember back when the forums were much more active and topics disappeared off the first page in a few hours."

I'm going to go ahead and connect the dots for you.

1 + 1 = 2

There, I hope that helped illuminate the topic for you.

WTF! MY TOPIC WAS LOCKED OMFG I SMELL CONSPIRACY!!!!

You've opened up a big can of worms now. You have discovered that Aeria has secretly plotted to place the rules in an easily found and free location in hopes that you will not read them or read them and ignore them anyway and lock or delete topics that don't comply with them. All I did was post information concerning an exploit. All I did was call the GMs a bunch of hate-mongering communists. Since their rules are irrelevant, locking my thread can only be interpreted as an ACT OF EXTREME AGGRESSION. Good people of Aeria. We must take arms and enforce anarchy, despite the fact that it would be an oxymoron to do so.

While on that note, I think it's of the utmost importance that we invoke our First Amendment rights. Clearly, this act of repression is UN-'MERICAN and in some 4srs need of liberation.

Congress AND AERIA CUZ THEY BAN LOL shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.  

Owait... no. Here's the right one.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.  

Hmm... that doesn't seem to apply to this situation at all.

Yeah. Pro tip of the day. Aeria Games is not congress and do not pass any laws. I think it's safe to assume that if they're not passing any laws, they're not passing any laws to prohibit freedom of speech. Welcome to the internet.

Your blatant disregard for authority and conspiracy theories are lolworthy.

Ktnhxbai.

Part VI - I quit! So get used to seeing me ALL THE TIME ANYWAY!

Alright. So leaving the game doesn't mean you have to leave the community. It's an online game with a heavy emphasis on communication. Many people from many places in the world have met here and made some awesome friends. Some people who leave the game and move onto other projects or games like to stay in touch with their friends.

This, I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you, does not grant a License to be Wickedly Awesome. It also does not make you among the most uber of your peers to take objective stances on topics without actually having an opinion and calling people stupid for not agreeing with your lack of credentials.

We must be very quiet! Here were are in the den of a common forum troll.

Searching...

Searching....

Searching.....

Aha! I have found a topic in which I can post completely irrelevant slander against Aeria!

For your amusement, I have summed up your heroic tale in a series of pictures.

That is all. Kthnxbai.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

Flareous

Rank 4
Flareous
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:16 pm
glad to see this back up

<br> Siggy and Avatar by Rabbittt :3

natascha1977

Rank 4
natascha1977
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:20 pm
yey

Zyrein

Rank 4
Zyrein
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:25 pm
Hurrah! Thanks for putting it back up!

ShadowArc

Rank 5
ShadowArc
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Esmerise

Rank 4
Esmerise
PostedMay 28, 2012 4:49 pm
Esme's Post! Very Happy

<center>
<br>TWHOOOO TWHOOO
</center>

billdoor

Rank 5.1
billdoor
PostedMay 28, 2012 5:04 pm
The epic to conquer all epics is back!

SeasonsEnd/MadManMoon/Uigeadail - retired from Shaiya as of May 10th 2014.

Short_Amigo

Rank 4
Short_Amigo
PostedMay 28, 2012 5:12 pm
O so pretty.

Kizuna7

Rank 5
Kizuna7
PostedMay 28, 2012 5:15 pm
I feel oh so offended.

ban4u! LOL just messing. GOod to see this back

~Lil_Kizuna

MuseJanelle

Rank 2
MuseJanelle
Undisclosed 2 protect the guilty United States
PostedMay 28, 2012 6:23 pm
"Unsucessful Troll" has moobs and i think i see nipples. Or are they called mipples?