I've been playing Mobile Collectible Card Games for awhile now. I am still playing Dark Summoner and Legend of the Cryptids.
That said, I believe Monster Paradise is the best I've played yet. Once you are able to get over the anime-esque artstyle (personal preferences, friends have said MP is too rainbow and flowery), there are some things that need fixing.
- Post limit: Remove the limit, I understand this is to dissuade spam bots, but until there is evidence that spam bots are a problem, the limit should be removed.
- Post Filter: Fix filter or fix the message to be specific to what is causing filter to enable. The "invalid character" message really puts a damper when typing out a long message.
- Better tutorial and information about Fusion, Evolutions versus + Forms, Getting Skill Levels, What Skill Levels Do, Battle System in regards to SP and Skill Activation
- Card Info: Cards that have been Fused/Evolved from two Max Level cards should be denoted as being perfectly Fused/Evolved.
- Tablet Battle: As much as I love hitting the same person over and over again, this is not a good user experience. There are two ways to fix this. Either make it so that players can only attack a single player "X" number of times per 24 hours OR have a protection mode that kicks in when someone has been attacked "X" number of times.
- Customizable Avatar: Let us customize avatars, you can even monetize it.
- Trade System:
- Enable search for items
- Fix issue where trying to search for someone's Inferno Dragon trade isn't possible due to the large number of Inferno Dragons for trade
- Enable viewing and interacting with a player's trade boxes with a link from their profile. This would solve issue #2
- Allow gifting. This might lead to multiple device abuse, but the benefits of gifting as a social device (forum prizes, etc) will enhance player community
Those are just a few of the things that I have noticed. But on a more touchy topic...
Let's talk about where Monster Paradise is heading in terms of in-game economy (which hasn't been established yet).
- Replenishing Nectar/Battle Brew limited to 10 uses per day
- Leveling monsters is expensive and slow. Requires a lot of Gold and a lot of fusion material. Rares and same type/element gives better experience.
- MP regenerates much faster than Stamina, even with max Monster Gallery Achievement, MP will regenerate faster.
- Only receive 3 stat points per level, no other way to get stat points. Other games give stats points for beating missions or for making friends.
- Cannot trade Gold.
- Rares sell for a lot more Gold than Normals.
- Currency items must be obtainable without paying real money.
Looking at the above facts, it is clear that the in-game economy is leaning towards consumable rares as a currency
. Rares can be sold for high Gold, they can be fused, and most of all, they can be easily farmed in the form of Tablets. We cannot farm missions for Normals because Stamina regenerates slowly and there is a limit on the amount of Nectars used per day. This means in order to get advantage over other players to level up faster and fuse faster, we will farm Tablet rares and trade these to acquire rares or items that we are seeking. There is not going to be an economy on Nectars (Energy Potions) due to the limits and restrictions Stamina system has versus Tablet Battles. (You get more Player Experience in the long run by doing PvP Tablet than doing Stamina Missions)
Why is this bad?
Bad for the Player
: It is an obvious reason why this is bad for the player - because there is a 50 card limit. It forces players to hide things in their trade and gift boxes.
Bad for Game Economy
: We can only put 5 cards in a trade. This means that it will be impossible to buy "SUPER RARES" and "ELITE RARES" through the current trade system unless you are trading same value cards. It is difficult for a player that has not acquired a "SUPER/ELITE RARE" to trade for one unless he is able to save up a high amount of worth/currency to trade for it. So a player will have to constantly upgrade his stock of rares (which they don't even want to use in team) in order to eventually trade up to a "SUPER/ELITE".
Bad for Aeria Games
:It is difficult to monetize off a game economy that uses consumable rares as currency, unless developers started selling Monster Cards with high fusion EXP boosts (which would then become limited time currency). Developers want a standard set of in game currency so that they can monetize off of it. "Buy 5 get 6th free! Buy this bundle, get this free!"
; Developers/Product Owner need to think about the in-game economy and where they want it to head. Currently, it's heading towards consumable rares. Most other card games uses Nectars (Energy Potions) as currency, but with the way Monster Paradise is set up, currency is leaning towards consumable rares or potentially Battle Brews (which allows more farming of consumable rares).
I like Monster Paradise a lot and I want it to succeed!
Success means profitability and growing install base - if you want to be number one, learn from the experiences and mistakes that other Mobile Card Collecting Games have undergone!
Edit: Forgot to mention that UI needs some work, but everyone has been mentioning fatfinger and scrolling. This is a change that should be looked at, but given development cycle, not likely to be changed anytime soon...