dx0520

Rank 3
PostedMar 17, 2012 11:11 am   Last edited by dx0520 on Mar 18, 2012 1:16 am. Edited 7 times in total

40 Cleric Blue Build

Expensive, trollish, indestructible, and kills level 60s...say what?
I had a good run with this build, so I'd like to share it with everyone.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Cheers!

IGN: SIeep

---------------------------------
Preface:

Clerics and paladins are the two tankiest classes in 40 arena. However, pound for pound, or rather defense point per defense point, paladins are a lot tankier. The paladin's passive skill, talents, and buffs (that are easily refreshed without significant cooldown) are damage reduction related, which makes them significantly tankier even when both a paladin and cleric have the same defense total.

A cleric's "tanky'ness" is predicated by their heals, but more specifically the instant heals from Mending Touch when being attacked aggressively.

The base mending touch heal value is between 1260-1512, so the average is about 1386. I can cast mending touch 5 times in 10 seconds, so that equates to a heal of 693 hp per second.

In essence, if you can't deal more than 693 damage per second on a cleric, you can't hope to kill him/her. Even if you can deal more damage, if you can't deal a lot more, a cleric with 10k hp will still require you to waste significant time attacking, which by that point the cleric may be running away to stall or their teammates have arrived for backup.

But I don't like to run, so I've thought up, and put into practice, a build that is more effective than a +15 legacy cleric.

A +15 legacy cleric survives by bulk defense, high hp, and instant heals. You can throw in sleep staff for delay maneuvers, but that is only effective against a maximum 2v1. When ganked by 3 or more (equally built players), a +15 legacy cleric is simply feeding without backup from teammates.

I've tried 5-piece Light of Grace, I've tried 3-piece Rising Sun, and I've tried +15 legacy, all performing on equal levels and still not as tanky (against good players) as I'd like a cleric to be.

This blue build that I thought up of, and have put into practical use, has proven to be extremely effective (and fun!).

Admittedly, this build is quite expensive, but it was a gradual process of adding new things to it, and the culmination of them has created something that is very amusing to play, even for players that don't like supporting classes, like myself that typically plays a sin or ranger.

Table of Contents:
Second Post
1. Armor
2. Weapons and Shields
3. Relics, Capes, and Accessories
4. Sprite Costumes and Emblems
5. Summary

Third Post
6. Supplementary Equipment and Discussions
Advertisement

dx0520

Rank 3
PostedMar 17, 2012 11:12 am   Last edited by dx0520 on Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am. Edited 14 times in total
1. Armor

Background Info: Reflection was a theory (over a year ago) I felt may work in the 40 arena simply because the ratio of damage to defense is a lot higher, and the amount of reflection you can achieve is the same in every bracket (if not more at 40) thus making 40 arena a potent bracket to test this build.

Technical Merits: It was originally +9, and worked effectively against 90% of players. The only class it failed against were [good players using] +15 zerks, or full crit damage windtracker sins (at only +9). The cause was that their DPS was greater than my heal rate, which is the root of a cleric's "tanky'ness" (See preface for more details). So +15 allowed me to offset that difference, and ultimately reign superior against +15 zerks and +15 sins. Admittedly, the amount (and rate) of reflection was reduced, but the zerk's and sin's death was gradually assured.

Basically, reflection was a method to make players honest, you're not going to be damaging me for free. Additionally, the multitude of debuffs help in further offsetting DPS differentials against my heal rate, further improving the cleric's "tanky'ness".

Lastly, the VIT+6 stones are obvious, helping to push the final hp past 10K in addition to further boosting defense. The additional benefit with the blue set is that you can slot these level 66+ VIT+6 stones with any alternate level 66+ character NOT ON THE SAME ACCOUNT, as opposed to legacy.

Edit: I've always been peeved by the fact that when attacked, the cleric is relegated to healing oneself over and over until gradual death. If one switches to a staff to attack, not only is one's DPS miserably slow, it makes you a lot squishier, and only causes you to die even faster. I hated the fact that as a 40 cleric, most of the time, you are only effective as a support. The reflection was my way of countering attacks without attacking, and still maintain tank mode while supporting. Players won't be giving damages for free, they're going to get rebates.

2. Weapons and Shields

The obvious shield to compliment the blue build. The +15, once again, is to offset the DPS differential against my heal rate. It was originally +9, and worked well, but wasn't survivable against +15 zerks and sins. The +15 closed that gap effectively. You can achieve up to 5k+ DEF with this, and with the reflection you can easily tank and kill the main boss in WS, in your opponents base...while your opponents are attacking you.

The second obvious shield to compliment the build. No fortification is needed as MDEF is useless. This shield, unfortified, is more than enough to make mages honest, thinking they can keep their distance without getting harmed. I once two-shotted a wizard...correction, I once had a wizard two-shot himself.

The ultimate tanking shield for those heavy ganking opponents. With this, you can achieve 5.3K+ DEF.

The default support hammer when paired with a shield. The fortification is unnecessary, as is the prefix. It's main function are the hammer's abilities.

The hammer to completely shut down entire teams. Not only do teams get damaged and debuffed when they are attacking you, with this hammer they are also held in place when you attack with your two AOEs (one has a fast cooldown, and the other is charged based, making its use with the hammer deadly against ganks). There is no such thing as a stun cooldown with this set-up. You easily pseudo-lock players, or groups of players in place.

Hammer stunned > Hammer stunned > they attack, slept > Hammer stunned > they attack, get misfortune/exhaust/-50% attack/-50% move > Hammer stunned > they attack, slept > repeat...

Locking through fear? pfft.

One of two weapons for offensive mode, which you can utilize for almost all 1v1 encounters. With this build, without a shield, the defense is still at 4.6K+. This hammer is only useful for its proc, and when it does, it leads into the following weapon...

It makes sense to fortify this to +15, since if you're going on the offensive, go hard. The hammer +80% magic attack proc, switched to this staff, can easily help you crit crystals for 16K+. When you've played cleric for awhile, you'll realize it's not that hard to multi-proc and weapon switch on the fly.

I have an average of 5+ kills per match in WS, and about 11 in FA, allowing me to MVP quite easily when coupled with heals and/or crystal damage.

3. Relics, Capes, and Accessories

The emphasis is on VIT, additional stats and abilities (magic related), are a plus.

The cape in this build, to me, is simply resembling another armor piece. The focus is reflect and debuffs, and any additional magic related stats and abilities are a plus.

Nothing special, relic for additional reflect, add in 1 or 2 more magic-related stats/abilities is always nice to have.

4. Sprite Costumes and Emblems

The costumes speak for themselves. Each set on each of the three sprites. Additional -20% physical damage reduction, +20% shield block, and +72% additional reflection.

Being a tanking class, multi-proccing sprites is very easy. It's actually very easy to get all 6 sprite costume buffs up. +15 zerks and main boss (in WS) frequently hit for 0. Coupled with the damage reduction buff, jale defense pot, and damage reduction pots, these are the big numbers that pop up from +15 zerks and sins:

0, 26, 54, 0, 126, 0...

Once in awhile you'll see a 450 from a +15 zerk, but that's 1 in every 5+ hits, when the buffs are down. Even then, with 10K+ hp, it is quite pleasing to the eyes to see. Not to mention 450 is insufficient to offset my average healing rate of 693 per second.

5. Summary

Every other class, when encountering their opponent in 40 arena, either kills or gets killed. Which means the battle is shortlived, allowing them to reset and readjust talents.

It's not usually the case with a cleric. As a tank that rarely dies, and seldom kills, you're almost always stuck in combat, making it extremely difficult to adjust talents.

With this build, the optimal talent combo to set is "Defender of Law", giving you huge boosts in defense and shield blocking. The only other talent combo is the one that boosts magic attack, but that is only ever used when I'm on a decent team that helps me play isolation (1v1).

Nothing special here, simply further boosting the mcrit rate. If you have the funds, boost VIT further through other costumes with VIT KUSO stones and/or GM Enchants.

So, ultimately, these are your final specs:

• 157% physical reflection (more if you have the reflect candy and fruits)
  • 172% magical reflection (more if you have the reflect candy and fruits)
  • -20%+ damage reduction (sprite costumes and buffs)
  • 64%+ shield block (shield, talents, sprite costumes)
  • The shield block is augmented further from however many STR you also have
  • Stacked full of debuffs "on attacked" and "on attacking"

This is what you can achieve:

Lastly, don't forget titles. The DT title boosts your DEF further by 5%, with a loss to...drum roll please...evade ;D

dx0520

Rank 3
PostedMar 17, 2012 11:12 am   Last edited by dx0520 on Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am. Edited 5 times in total
6. Supplementary Equipment and Discussions

How ironic that my IGN for this 40 character is SIeep, yet the more and more I develop this build the less and less I felt a need to use this staff.

This staff has no value in this build beyond simple delay tactics against a weaker team. The delay allows your teammates to sweep up the opponents inevitably.

However, against a better team, the delay...only delays. No further contributions. The attack damage is pitiful, which you shouldn't be doing anyway since it brings opponents out of sleep. Not to mention without a shield makes you that much more squishier. To be quite honest, the sleep staff is best used by a mage, for that initial delay from rushes, switch to the 40 staff, and counter.

At one point during the build, I flirted with the possibility of DPS'ing with this staff. The results were pitiful. Even at 100% cast time reduction (through fruits, mushrooms, orange set, and whatnot) there is still a casting delay bar. Not to mention the damage with this staff just doesn't compare with the 40 staff.

The only use I have for this is when I need to revive someone, that's it.

Overall, with cleric legacy, I find playing as a cleric miserably boring. With this build, it created a level of amusement that I find immensely enjoyable, and sometimes for my opponents as well as they find the reflection interesting...even when they die.

Most of the time, after wailing on me for a few seconds, the good players just ignore me and would rather be contented to simply stun and/or slow me down, preventing me to help my teammates. The inexperienced players though...continue wailing, even when they hit 0s and 1s...which is rather => -_- Sometimes I wish they'd hit harder, so they'd kill themselves faster.

Funnily enough, the best DPS players, when dueling, die really fast. Only low fort, low gear, and low DPS players manage to survive longer. Guess why Wink

Edit: I forgot to mention...I managed to duel a level 59 wiz, and a level 60 ranger and have both of them kill themselves. Admittedly, the ranger forgot to silence, which was his downfall. Both the wizard's and ranger's DPS couldn't overcome my heals significantly (due to some debuff delays), causing the reflection to overcome them. Other level 60 duels included sage and paladin, where I lost, but managed to shave at least 75% off of their hp. Granted these guys weren't +15, but it was quite amusing =)

iOverful

Rank 4
iOverful
Somewhere you will never find United States
PostedMar 17, 2012 11:26 am
super duper reflection~

This guide requires TONS AND TONS of gold.

backlikeanoobtard

feilidxy

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
feilidxy
PostedMar 17, 2012 6:13 pm
:O finally something close to what I wanna try and get ;o and trying to find that blue cleric body is seriously super duper hard been hammering at the AH for like 2-3 months now and still haven't got one Mad only got 3/7 to reflect but been gathering a mountain of enchants to see if I can get all reflect+sleep/misfortune/exhaust on my stuff.

ChristianGJ

Rank 3
ChristianGJ
PostedMar 17, 2012 9:13 pm
Before continuing, I wanted to make mention that putting sleep prefix on all blue pieces of armor doesn't do what you think it would.

Let's say you had 5 pieces of armor with Hypnotizer prefix. Your chance to sleep would be:

.95^5 = .7737

1 - .7737 = .226 ~ 23%

Which is not the case at all. I've tried this twice, and had a confirmation from someone else who tried it with his Templar. At 23%, that's even better than the proc rate from sleep hammer. When applied though, it's not at all. Tests have shown me in 99 second duels that there are far less chances to proc sleep than 23%. I've even had 99 second duels that didn't proc sleep even once.

kd hasn't put the build up at this point yet, but for anyone thinking stacking sleep prefixes works, it doesn't.

feilidxy

Diamond Founder: Aura Kingdom
feilidxy
PostedMar 17, 2012 9:38 pm
I've heard somewhere that sleep on blues caps at 15% and that its also bugged on rangers so like they sleep but it wears off right after. So I'm currently working on a combo between exhaust misfortune and sleep if possible but my top priority would be to get reflect with just 1 helpfulish debuff ;x

iOverful

Rank 4
iOverful
Somewhere you will never find United States
PostedMar 17, 2012 10:09 pm
Hmm, I am confused here.

I am pretty sure kd's cleric's armor's prefixes are all reflection.

But now we are somehow talking about Sleep prefix.

I am sure this guild has nothing really to do with Sleep stuff, but Reflect instead.

backlikeanoobtard

xyoojk

Rank 1
xyoojk
PostedMar 17, 2012 10:17 pm
iOverful wrote:
Hmm, I am confused here.

I am sure this guild has nothing really to do with Sleep stuff, but Reflect instead.  

Refer to this the previous post:

feilidxy wrote:
I've heard somewhere that sleep on blues caps at 15% and that its also bugged on rangers so like they sleep but it wears off right after. So I'm currently working on a combo between exhaust misfortune and sleep if possible but my top priority would be to get reflect with just 1 helpfulish debuff ;x  

It's reflect + debuffs. The idea is a reflect troll. The debuffs help keep you alive longer while you troll, spam heal, and reflect damage.

""

dx0520

Rank 3
PostedMar 17, 2012 10:19 pm
ChristianGJ wrote:
Before continuing, I wanted to make mention that putting sleep prefix on all blue pieces of armor doesn't do what you think it would.

Let's say you had 5 pieces of armor with Hypnotizer prefix. Your chance to sleep would be:

.95^5 = .7737

1 - .7737 = .226 ~ 23%

Which is not the case at all. I've tried this twice, and had a confirmation from someone else who tried it with his Templar. At 23%, that's even better than the proc rate from sleep hammer. When applied though, it's not at all. Tests have shown me in 99 second duels that there are far less chances to proc sleep than 23%. I've even had 99 second duels that didn't proc sleep even once.

kd hasn't put the build up at this point yet, but for anyone thinking stacking sleep prefixes works, it doesn't.  

Yeah it's not 23% (even though it should be, chalk it up to poor programming)...I've been ganked enough to definitively say it's not 23%, if I had to empirically put a number based on experience, it'd be around 10%.

feilidxy wrote:

I think you'll like what I've got.

iOverful wrote:
Hmm, I am confused here.

Its...both...and then some.