Sighborg88

Aeria: Product Manager
Sighborg88
PostedMar 06, 2012 7:35 pm   Last edited by Sighborg88 on Apr 09, 2012 6:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Some changes to EE

An important discussion
Hey everyone,

There are 2 topics I want to discuss that will impact the game moving forward.

Topic #1
We're aware that there has been an increased problem with compromised accounts, gold sellers, phishing websites, etc. We're working very hard to combat this problem and the first topic relates to this. We're adding a new feature that will be optional, and hopefully will be implemented soon.

The new feature is a 'Character Lock' that will allow players to put a lock on their characters so they can only be accessed with a pin number.

This is one step we're working on implementing in light of recent compromised account issues, we highly recommend everyone enabling this security feature when it comes out.

Topic #2
We have been discussing a server merge as a possibility for the future. At the same time we would plan to open a new server as well, so there would be a total of 2 servers. This change would be coupled with an increased marketing budget to help smooth out the change and populate both servers. This change would be for:

-Creating a fresh server to bring new players into.
-Stimulate competition in ranking systems and PvP.
-Alleviate issues with monopolies in the game.

This does not mean the game is dying! We want to grow the game by adding a fresh server and improve the experience of existing players with a server merge. EE is a healthy game, and there has been a lot going on behind the scenes to ensure this. However, we believe a server merge with a new server may be the right decision for the game moving forward.

We want to hear your CONSTRUCTIVE feedback regarding both topics. Please post your thoughts.
Advertisement

jlin1314

Rank 2
jlin1314
PostedMar 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Cool stuff!

LoveLovey

Rank 4
LoveLovey
PostedMar 06, 2012 8:41 pm
At first I was excited when reading about the server merge. The increased amount of players may help make the current TW more interesting.

However...
We have been experiencing considerable lag even with the servers as it is. It's bad enough to the point where people get dc'ed after Territory Wars, or unable to chat and speak to NPCs for a significant amount of time. Do you have any plans or solutions for the lag as it is now before possibly making a bad situation even worse?

[ Aquamarine - Tranquillus - Deity ]

Respect existence or expect resistance.

OsmosisGnome

Rank 4
OsmosisGnome
PostedMar 06, 2012 8:42 pm
No merger. Mergers are notorious for wrecking economies. Just ask any former player from GF who played on the Bodor server and they'll tell you the economy went wack instantly

Fudgingo

Rank 3
Fudgingo
PostedMar 06, 2012 8:52 pm
OsmosisGnome wrote:
No merger. Mergers are notorious for wrecking economies. Just ask any former player from GF who played on the Bodor server and they'll tell you the economy went wack instantly  

This. I only want a merge when it's super-completely dead-end necessary.

I'm glad you guys have become aware of the security problem though.
But since people were able to easily get past passwords,wouldn't they get past pins as well?

ITT: lazy mods

JoltyEon

Rank 0
PostedMar 06, 2012 8:52 pm
Topic 1:
It's optional, so I don't see how this could hurt. Great change! I would also suggest showing us a log of when we have signed in and with what IP addresses perhaps. This way we can know if our account may be possibly compromised, and take the necessary actions to mitigate some of the damage.

Topic 2:
I would actually welcome a server merge but of course there are issues that arise with mergers.

How would issues such as server lag will be dealt with? The previous weeks on Aquamarine at least, there has been a very noticeable increase in the frequency and duration of server lag spikes. With the merge of 3 servers to one, how would this end up?

In addition, to accompany the increased player-base on each server, will we still have only our current 6 channels? Are there plans to increase this?

How would Character Names work or be affected? What happens to players who have characters on multiple servers?

Also I am skeptical about having a completely fresh server. While that will encourage newer players to join, that means there probably will not be new players coming to the merged servers. It's always nice to see new faces around.

Still, I think the benefits will probably outweigh the consequences that occur in the short term, if done correctly with the potential issues considered and prepared for.

Banastubasa

Rank 0
PostedMar 06, 2012 9:11 pm
1:It's cool
2:It is not possible to do a server merge example-Three characters name "Potato" error detected
1010110101010110011001101010101010101010101010101010010101011011101101101101101101011011011011011011010110110110110110101101011

Sighborg88

Aeria: Product Manager
Sighborg88
PostedMar 06, 2012 9:17 pm
First off, thank you everyone for responding so well! I was worried I would open this thread to an onslaught of rage.

Economy
With regards to the economy, we don't have any major concerns. GF is not a comparable situation due to the varying ages of their servers when they merged. The 3 EE servers all have VERY similar economies, and any differences would even out quickly. We don't anticipate this being a major factor.

Lag
We would be increasing the amount of channels on this new server to 10 to help reduce any major lag. Also, unrelated to the merge, we plan to investigate this lag more thoroughly because we agree it's a bit out of hand.

Pin
Due to the nature of the situation, we believe they would not be able to access your pin, but this is definitely a valid concern and one we plan on considering carefully prior to implementation. However we do have some concerns about a hacker selecting a pin before the legitimate user does.

New Players
We would be funneling new players to both servers as growing both of them would be important for us.

Names
We have a specific protocol regarding all names, guild names, etc that will be announced at a later date.

"Does anyone have a soldering gun I can borrow? I'd like to use it to attach a soldering gun to myself."

OsmosisGnome

Rank 4
OsmosisGnome
PostedMar 06, 2012 9:27 pm
Sighborg88 wrote:

Economy
With regards to the economy, we don't have any major concerns. GF is not a comparable situation due to the varying ages of their servers when they merged. The 3 EE servers all have VERY similar economies, and any differences would even out quickly. We don't anticipate this being a major factor.

Fair enough. My concern, however, is that a deal of the inflation on GF was caused unnaturally by greedy players deliberately increasing prices. How do you plan to make sure this doesnt happen here?

SapphireMiku

Rank 1
SapphireMiku
PostedMar 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Fair enough. My concern, however, is that a deal of the inflation on GF was caused unnaturally by greedy players deliberately increasing prices. How do you plan to make sure this doesn't happen here?  

I don't think GF's economy problems are going to pose any issue with any server merge on EE. There's a whole host of reasons why GF's economy is what it is, most of them corrected by X-Legend on EE's development from the beginning.

Personally, I would greatly welcome a merge for more population among TW and activities as long as the lag issue can be sorted properly.

As mentioned; Aqua already suffers from extreme lag fits from time to time and I would be afraid a combined population would only make it worse. Hopefully this can be worked out.

I'm interested to hear more details on this when they are decided.