revenge time *insert evil and stupid laugh here*
Details of why i totally hate this service.
1.- I was one of the winners of a raffle event for Metal Assault, in which i could choose any item i wanted, (it had a few exceptions). I asked for a permanizer, but i wanted it to be sent to my brother because of his birthday, i gave them a lot of details, explaining them that i was not going to sell it, i was not going to receive anything in exchange, we share the same IP, it was a gift for his birthday (as i said before), and finally that i often help MA community with guides (a level up guide which i never finished, because it was way too long, and a bundle guide) and because of that i wanted them to do me that favor.
It took them about 1 week to reply it -.- im serious, and the answer was:
We cannot exchange permanizers.
This is policy and cannot be changed. We have run into significant issues
when doing this in the past and therefore the practice has been stopped.
SO THEY USED TO DO IT AND EVEN WITH ALL THE DETAILS I GAVE THEM THEY DIDNT GIVE A SHT AND JUST SAID NO. sorry that really pissed me off and since then i didnt spend a cent again in this game.
2.- Ok so after i gave up on gifting the permanizer i made a list of questions asking if some items were available or not, it took them another week just to reply this:
We are investigating the availability of the items you have requested.
We apologize if this is taking a bit longer then you would like.
If you do not wish to wait then please respond with an item you know to be
released in game that you can request.
I waited about 5 days more and no reply at all i asked them to at least reply one question per day, they replied this:
You are asking for items that haven't been released yet. This in turn has
sparked our curiosity so we are asking the developers if we can have these
items. This is a VERY low priority to them concerning the bugs and
glitches and other issues they are trying to fix, so a response will take
a long time.
If you want to receive your rewards please just request something that is
released and in the game.
So they didnt even reply to one single question, they stated i was not a priority (even if i spent tons of cash and luckily won at the event)[SINCE WHEN ARENT CUSTOMERS A PRIORITY], and finally they said the items werent released (some of the items were and are released but the percent to get one from grade boxes is about 1%) so it was really misinformative.
Ok i was pissed at this point because i waited about 3 weeks already and i ended asking for a weapon because i was tired of waiting, i just lost my time by using this service.
3.- 75% of my tickets take a whole week to be replied, while the other 25% takes about 1-2 days (which is the time it is supossed to take). while i ask people in forum if they have this problem, a lot of them say they get their tickets replied fast, i dont know why they take that long to reply MY tickets, it gets on my nerves
this service is horrible and i voted it poor (1).
thanks for reading and sorry for beign angry, but i really had bad experiences with this