This thread has officially been closed. For our new recruit thread, please visit here:
Obsidian, At a Glance
- A hard, dark, glasslike volcanic rock formed by the rapid solidification of lava without crystallization
The Obsidian Guild (n.)
– The fiery rock of badassness which stands as the foundation for everything awesome, idiotic, enjoyable, depressing, aggravating, and heartwarming in MMO gaming.
Obsidian, When you Stare
So here's the story. Obsidian (formerly known as PaperMoon) is a social, serious guild of predominantly North American players coming in from a variety of other MMOs. We like to stick together even after the MMO gets boring, and as a result, we ended up with this neat little family of players that have stuck together through thick and thin. Mostly thick. Sometimes thin. Often disturbing.
Here's our guild description in a snapshot, and I'll give it to you straight.
• We are friendly, loyal, active, and have no problem helping each other out, but we have little to no patience for people that like to start drama or can't take a joke.
• We like helping out new people, but we hate it when people try to take advantage of our generosity. Constantly begging for help or throwing a tantrum when you don’t get help is a good way to get on our bad side.
• We try our hardest not to make things personal, but expect a bit of ribbing if you join up with us (some of it crude)
• We also have zero tolerance for poor sportsmanship (i.e. mob dropping, kill stealing, flaming other players), cheating (hacking of any kind, bots), and personal attacks on anybody (regardless of the reason).
• We actively support any guild war like system, but we avoid fights that have the potential to have drama.
• We’re big on boss raids. We like taking down the big baddies with our friends and allies.
• We place a great deal of value on understanding others. We will only judge you on how you conduct yourself in game, regardless of who you are in real life. And (fair warning) you will be judged.
• We will accept anyone into the guild that wants to join, as long as we have space.
• We like to stay as far removed from “guild politics” as possible. That includes but is not limited to: flame wars, formal alliances, holiday picnics, heated rivalries, brunches, and secret societies.
• Above all, we don’t take ourselves, or each other, too seriously.
So in the simplest terms, we're here to play the game and make some friendships that extend beyond the game.
Guild Rules and Regulations
So here are our major rules.
1. Thou shalt not attempt to purposely enrage any other player, especially fellow guild members.
2. Thou shalt not beg. Like I said before, we like helping people out, but please do not take advantage of our generosity. You’re certainly welcome to ask for help, but please do not run to me kicking and screaming if someone does not want to help you.
3. Thou shalt be a good sportsman and a good, active player. We're here to play, and we play to win. Do not start problems with other players if they kick your ***. Just go level, get some new shinies, then come back and show them who’s boss.
4. Thou shalt not start drama. I cannot stress this enough. I will kick you out so fast your outsides will become your insides, and your entrails will become your extrails.... and... PAIN. LOTS OF PAIN. (Seriously, it's a pet peeve of almost everyone in the guild. Don't do it.)
5. Thou shalt be awesome. No excuses.
6. Thou shalt use common sense. In actually, this should be the only rule, but there are always those who need the rules spelt out for them (I am not, of course, referring to you, dear potential guild member). If it seems like something you shouldn't do, don't do it.
Requirements to Join
There are no requirements to join Obsidian. Seriously. Anyone can become a member. I want to make it very clear that we don't care very much about things like a person’s level or power, as long as you are active, can be mature when the situation calls for it, and don’t tick the guild off. Active being the keyword in that sentence. We don't really kick people either, unless they go inactive (and that's just to make space for other players, and not due to anything personal) or they cause problems, and even then, we tend to give a lot of second chances.
That being said, it’s important that I give you fair warning. Anyone can join Obsidian, but being a member of Obsidian isn't for everyone. Our long-term members do have a couple characteristics in common:
• Over the age of 16 (with most of the younger members having a respectable level of maturity)
• A love of MMO gaming and an intense dislike for MMO drama
• Unbridled, unfettered, and uncensored awesomness
How To Join
For now, at least until the game starts up, if you wish to join up, just send me or another one of the officers a message.
Meet the Cast
Here’s a list of the currently active members of Obsidian, along with a short description of each. Just so you get an idea of the kind of people we have in the guild.
Zenfishy [Captain Cod] - Guild Leader
[IGN] ZenFishy, ZenKupos
Your overworked, berated, and constantly tired guild leader. His stupid ideas to promote the guild and manipulate the system almost never seem to work, but he tries his best. There are rumors that he is not actually a member of the sardine family, and is indeed a cod, but he vehemently denies such vile slander.
Zanist [Gibbering Logic] - Second-In-Command
He turns white into black, black into white, yellow into fish and cupcakes into llamas. Since he gets the job done, there has to be a method to the madness, but we've yet to figure out how exactly it works. Be careful when starting a conversation with him. He has this tendency to corrupt your innocence while simultaneously droning on like an 8th grade math teacher.
Famous Last Words:
“Well, you see, the way that class works is you have to invest 7 skill points in burning rain, while balancing your build by investing 5 points in dark sunder to give yourself some versatility. You see, while some may argue that force field is the best skill for….” (at this point, everyone has muted Ventrilo)
Catzy [Flower On the Wall] - Guild Secretary / Artist
[IGN] Catzy, Collette, Toddle, Bunbun
Catzy is the silent mistress of artistry, magical blasts, and all things tiny, poofy, and cute. Her weapons of choice include sticks with which to maim and rocks with which to pelt. She has what is quite possibly the cutest voice in this or any universe. She is also the guild leader's girlfriend and the resident guild wallflower. As such: No touchy.
Beefeater [Uncle Hillshire] - Guild Sergeant-At-Arms
Our resident old man and one of the guild’s longest standing active members. He's the guy who always manages to say the funniest thing at the best possible moment. I swear he secretly plans these moments out, but I’ve never been able to prove it.
Famous Last Words:
“I’m gonna go **** my ice tray. Be right back.”
BlueMoon8 [Cupid's Sniper] - Guild Assassin
[IGN] BlooMoon, BueMoon8
The guild’s bubbles. Yes, I said bubbles. Blue will be the one with ninety different characters that she'll never use again, all of whom will be higher level then you. A sweet girl as clueless as the day is long, she's the guild's little sister. If, you know, your little sister had a weird obsession with knives and grenades.
“Here, have a grenade.”
Myst [Amazon of the North] - Recruit Liason
[IGN] Myst, Exile, Riven
Stubborn? Yes. Proud? Yes. But she's sweeter than anyone and generous as the day is long. Still, I'd be careful. She bites sometimes. Things that bug her include egotism, guild names made up of two words, the word brigade, and all things foo-foo.
“Actually, Fishy, you’re wrong.”
Chasity [Princess Cupcake] - Internal Affairs
You know those people that exude positivity and happiness out of every pore in their body? Who are so utterly optimistic that it almost makes you cringe? Well, Chasity breathes rainbows and rides around on a magic sunbeam. I am not kidding. I have seen her do it.
Sakura (aka Satsuya, Satty) - [Wanderer from the East]
[IGN] Satsuka, Satsuya, Sakura, Satty
Sakura is a man of mystery, the wanderer from the east whose motives and skills in battle are a unknown. He drifts on the wind, his comings and goings only marked by a kind smile and the scent of cherry blossoms. And death. Did I mention death?
“Actually, I’m a guy. Seriously.”