ghost314

Rank 0
ghost314
PostedNov 12, 2011 11:34 am

Can someone confirm my speculations on City defense?

My noob protection is quickly expiring and I've been doing my best to prepare a defense for my city, which would be a lot easier if I knew something about how city battles normally play out. In the quest where you learn to assign a governor they mention that they will organize your unused troops and defensive resources in the event of an attack and that it is good to choose one with high defense/government stats.

So I figure I get defensive type troops and leave them sitting idle inside my city and my governor will organize them into a defensive army when needed.

Then I did a quest about troop garrisons and how they can help protect your city, and was advised to put defensive troops in the garrison outside my city and offensive troops inside my city...... um... wha??

So after noobing around a while and attacking a defensive wilderness with an offensive army and seeing my troops labelled as 'defenders' even though I was attacking, and noticing the 'enter city' command on the map screen I'm thinking the way it works is:

When someone attacks your city the garrison outside the city fights first and for you it is a defensive type battle, the army that was told to 'enter city' from the map screen will fight second and for you this is an offensive type battle, and finally any unassigned troops that you have will be organized by your governor along with your wall defenses in a third defensive type battle.

Can anyone confirm any of that?

Also some things that would be really useful to know:

• Do your wall defenses play no role in any of these battles except for the last one? (if this is the case it seems completely pointless having a defensive garrison outside your city when they could stall for time with your wall and cause more damage from inside the city)
  • What happens if I have a large number of different troop types sitting idle, is there a maximum number of units that I can have on my defensive army? (what I'm getting at is, there seems to be only a certain number of troop slots in any one army so if I have both offensive and defensive troops unassigned do I get all of them or only some?)
  • What are the pros and cons of getting turrets vs getting towers on your wall? (Most people would ask which is better but I would be happy just knowing what the heck the difference is so I can at least make a reasonable choice on which one I prefer, right now I'm thinking towers kill units outright which can perhaps result in more damage but they also have a durability meaning they can be destroyed during the battle where as turrets stay and continue killing enemies until the battle is over?)
  • What are marauder armies (or wildernesses for that matter) and what does it mean when it says tower effect on them decreases to 1/10?
  • What do the different defense status options actually do? (It says alarm prevents armies from passing through, but is that all armies as in, no one can attack me when I'm in this status but I pay for it with reduced resource output? Also the gate skill is pretty baffling, it makes it sound like it's only purpose is to prevent any of my defenses from working when someone does a plunder operation in order to protect my units. And there's simply no explanation at all on what 'attack when attacked' is supposed to do)

If someone who's gone through city battles can answer/confirm some of this stuff maybe we can insert it into a guide somewhere, I suspect a lot of newbies would very much like to know some of this stuff.

Advertisement

Rakusen

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
Rakusen
PostedNov 12, 2011 12:31 pm
Mkay, I'll answer these.

Defensive fights, no matter what kind of troop you have, will always have you on the defensive because someone else is initiating a fight with your troops. The attackers always are attackers while the attacked are the defenders.

Defensive troops are attacked first since they're outside your city. Offensive troops aren't that much help in defensive fights, so it's advised to keep them out of harms way.

The second battle you have when being attacked is an offensive strike where your offensive troops would push back if the attacking force isn't repelled by the defenders.

Unassigned troops will always be commanded by the governor when there's an attack. If the first two lines of defense didn't repel them, the governor takes charge and commands the wall units to attack as well.

*I'm not too sure about this one since there aren't that many battles where my city is.

*You get the units that have the most troops, such as A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I is left out because it has the least.

*Towers take up 6x more space, but guarantee a kill. Turrets are just like defending units, they deal damage like a regular unit. Keep in mind, one kill means just one troop.

*Marauder armies are plundering ones.

*Alarm just alerts all armies in your city that it's being attacked and pretty much tells your troops to recall if they're outside.

*And there is no gate skill. Whatchu lookin at?

And I'm already working on a guide. Link.

Contact Us~Don't be afraid to ask for help~Terms of Service~

ghost314

Rank 0
ghost314
PostedNov 12, 2011 1:01 pm
First of all thanks for answering most of my questions Very Happy I'll clarify what I meant about defense status options:

In seminary, under technology activation there is a skill just underneath 'Alarm' which is called 'Gate' the description after researching it says '(Activated) City Defense', now if you click on your administration hall there's a button at the bottom that says 'Defense Status' if you click on that you get another window with some options and instructions on it.

In my case I have 2 radio buttons, one says 'Unit Guards When Plundered' and the other says 'Attack When Attacked'(this one was selected by default) I suspect that researching alarm after newbie protection expires will result in a third option (the alert status mentioned in the instructions on the window) so I suspect 'Unit Guards When Plundered' was unlocked by researching the Gate tech at seminary.

The instructions the window has on what these different options do is whats confusing me Confused

AriaSaitcho

Rank 3
AriaSaitcho
PostedNov 12, 2011 10:15 pm
I'll start with that 3rd skill: it simply doesn't let neutral parties past your city. In other words, if someone is attacking a neighbor down the road from you, and you have that activated; the attacker can't go past your city.

The "guard when plundered" option is simply your troops will not react to a plunder. This option saves your troops in exchange for resources.

And finally the "attack when attacked" is just that, regardless of attack type (plunder, conquer, or attack) your army will react and defend your city.

pinzig

Rank 0
PostedNov 14, 2011 6:21 am
So....

In which of these sequence of fights to the towers/turrets/traps on your wall weigh in?

Ranshalvaz

Rank 1
Ranshalvaz
PostedFeb 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Bump

I think this is helpful information and wanted to bump it back to first page.

CogitationS

Rank 1
CogitationS
PostedFeb 13, 2012 4:44 am
Rakusen wrote:

The second battle you have when being attacked is an offensive strike where your offensive troops would push back if the attacking force isn't repelled by the defenders.

Unassigned troops will always be commanded by the governor when there's an attack. If the first two lines of defense didn't repel them, the governor takes charge and commands the wall units to attack as well.

*I'm not too sure about this one since there aren't that many battles where my city is.  

lol.
There's so much I want to say about this. but I'm laughing too hard. We were suuuuuch newbs back then.