Ok few notes about wilderness nodes that folks might find helpful.
1) You are not limited to the wildnernesses thay spawn immediately around your town.
-when you mouse over a wilderness in terrain view (zoomed all the way in) a green ring highlights the area it can be reached from.
-to reach wildernesses beyond the reach of your town, garrison at a small village or town nearby to launch to the wilderness node from
2) Offensive nodes are best tackled by offensive army, defensive nodes by defensive army
3) !?!?!?! - if you have taken a defensive node (engaging army fights offensive npcs for control from defensive stance) garrisoned troops that are attacked by another players army will have their role switched. Namely, the army that is there will be on the defensive, along with the offensive npcs, and should it be a defensive army engaging they will find themselves in the awkward position of offensive attacker.....
4) still testing, but it seems more troops exploring a resource wild for more time = more xp and coin earned, minimium of 1 hour must be spent to explore. Notes indicate that you must have scouts to explore but presently this is not the case.
5) not sure if its related, but after pulling a couple armies off of long term explorations I had a gem mine and a vault spawn right next to me - perhaps exploring resource nodes helps you "find" these rare wilds? - will keep further notes.
6)bound to be more stuff - that's all for now