Loch_yeti

Rank 1
Loch_yeti
PostedDec 08, 2011 1:31 pm
Coolio. and everyone acts like this is new information. Did any of you read the ToS before this?

BlueDude50 wrote:
Aeria reserves the right to ban people for any reason.

Real world example: .... i can't think of one  

My example is I got banned from a local shop because the owner had a crazy mood swing while I was there. So as far as I know the ban had no reason.

Advertisement

LordRapthorne

Rank 5
LordRapthorne
PostedDec 08, 2011 2:10 pm
Loch_yeti wrote:
Coolio. and everyone acts like this is new information. Did any of you read the ToS before this?

BlueDude50 wrote:
Aeria reserves the right to ban people for any reason.

Real world example: .... i can't think of one  

My example is I got banned from a local shop because the owner had a crazy mood swing while I was there. So as far as I know the ban had no reason.  

Very few people actually read the terms of service, EULA's or other long and text filled bits.

Semi related lulz

<center></center>

eeeasytiger

Rank 5
eeeasytiger
PostedDec 08, 2011 3:18 pm
LOL, that is hilarious LordRapthorne.

Retired. Bnet: Bradly#1100

Zeekfox

Rank 3
Zeekfox
PostedDec 08, 2011 3:33 pm
Heh, I've read them before. Basically a lot of this text is a copy/paste of what I've seen everywhere else. All they do is remove the old company's name and put theirs in. Although to be honest, a lot of the real reading came when I was involved in some private servers for a game before "no private servers" started getting explicitly written in there.

It's sad, though, because there's very little if any sort of regulation placed on MMO companies. The way the rules state, Aeria could throw some code into their games that erases your harddrive and then hide behind their ToS and say that it's our fault for agreeing to it and there's nothing we can do about it. Granted, I don't expect individual companies to start writing more responsibility and liability into their terms, but that's what regulatory agencies are for.

I do actually point at the ToS though and go "shoulda read the rules" when I see stupidity though. You know, like when people complain that they spent money and lost it all due to a ban for having an IGN that's not appropriate for any game. That one's pretty much common sense.

"I'll sell Chumlee if I get the chance." ~Old Man Harrison, Pawn Stars

PolarCharm

Rank 0
PolarCharm
PostedDec 28, 2011 3:35 pm
LordRapthorne wrote:
Zeekfox wrote:
After looking over this topic, I thought I'd post an observation. It seems to me that Aeria wants to claim all the ownership, but yet, none of the responsibility.  

All accounts to remain the property of Aeria, but anything you do while you are in control of them is entirely your own responsibility.

Real world example: A landlord. A landlord (read "Aeria") may rent out their property (read "account") to tenants (Read "players"), but it will always remain their property, however the landlord is not responsible for any illegal activities (Read "breech of terms") that the tenants get up to during their stay. However if they finds out about such activities, they has the right to evict (read "ban") them from the property and/or forbid them from using their property again (read "permaban").  

"the landlord is not responsible for any illegal activities"  

:/ Most would disagree with that;
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/landlord-liability-for-criminal-acts-of-tenants.html
This site I just used as reference to back up my statement. Much of the reason landlord's kick tenants committing illegal acts is to avoid getting caught up themselves. Only a slumlord would do otherwise. You know those places in every city in America referred as the "ghetto" these days now that the word slum is played out. Not trying to compare Aeria to a slumlord but am pointing out the error in the example given. A landlord can be held accountable for renting to a drug dealer, however, most people are ignorant to the laws and that's partly how bad landlords get over. Again I'd like to direct attention to those areas in every American town that people usually avoid unless they live there or are part of the reason they remain like they are.

A lot of the legal jabber is definitely there to cover Aeria's butt if some psycho gets on here talking about his plans to commit murder. I don't know what happens to those random bits of chatter server side but if world chat is on or if people in an area I'm squatting in in-game are particularly chatty something like that can quickly be pushed out of my chat box into oblivion. It'd be completely unfair to put the blame on Aeria for not doing something about it i.e. banning them and turning that person's account information over to law enforcement when none of the game moderating staff even saw it. I'm not even going to get into cyberbullying and the wonders of Photoshop. Unless they have some kind of fool proof filtering system or something that helps them monitor chat the best they can do is hand over any saved chatter to the police after the fact. When it comes to something like the forums that can be managed and are monitored/moderated by Aeria staff that's another story. Aeria can and should be held accountable for letting some psycho rant about committing murder. In the same way a slum lord is allowing a drug dealer to move in and do in business via their property and can be held accountable Aeria can be held accountable for allowing people to use their site and game clients as some festering pit for illegal activities.

iamgrendle

Rank 0
iamgrendle
PostedDec 31, 2011 10:51 pm
i cant think of why anyone would want to challenge an eula for a game, but in the REAL WORLD, most if not all eula's dont hold water in any court of law. if you dont believe that, google some dockets. like i said, its just a game, so this is extreme. ALSO, ive read in the tos that doing this > <3333333333333333333333 over and over is a violation, why do the gm's do this? also just an observation on my part, ive never played a game with gs (volunteers) that i have seen in game, are really rude, not to say all because i havent seen all. personally i feel there should be a minimum age requirement for this position. but im going off topic sorry. and also, in the REAL WORLD, you ask any landlord if its that easy to evict someone LOL. tenants have more rights then you obviously think you know. i emphasize think. peace. happy new year.

edit** just to be clear. i realize they say there is a minimum gs age of 16, but i know of one who is 13. so this requirement to become a gm is ignored.

hummingkayls

Rank 2
hummingkayls
PostedDec 31, 2011 11:07 pm
*looks for presented proof*

lestat_anil

Elite Founder: Scarlet Blade
lestat_anil
PostedJan 01, 2012 2:00 am
iamgrendle wrote:
edit** just to be clear. i realize they say there is a minimum gs age of 16, but i know of one who is 13. so this requirement to become a gm is ignored.  

No GS is brought on the team that knowingly is under the age of 16. Also, the age requirement to be a GM is 21.

That is a strict rule that would never be blatantly ignored.

Saltyloves

Rank 4
Saltyloves
PostedJan 02, 2012 1:52 am
This thread was made to be informative and help the community understand what they are agreeing to by taking part in the Aeria community. Please help us to keep it just that.

You can see a list of current Game Sages and GMs for EE HERE.

For information about becoming a Game Sage, including requirements such as age, see HERE.

If you have questions or complaints about Aeria's ToS, policies, or Game Sages, you may submit a ticket HERE.

angel_baby01

Rank 2
angel_baby01
PostedJan 02, 2012 4:35 am

Words....

<.>
LOL too many words for me to read....LOL jk xD I think rules are obvious.....RIGHT?