demoman11

Rank 0
demoman11
PostedAug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Forum Game Sages

Is the workload to little or to much?
Now I may be new to the forums , but after cruising around, looking at the topics and what not. I found this.

http://www.aeriagames.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?t=28997

This topic is posted by [GM] Superman0X (forum username). Most would know that this thread talks about the requirements you need before you can apply to Aeriagame Positions. I am a bit concerned (I guess you could call it that) at the GameSage: Forum description.

A Forum GameSage is a community volunteer, who has been recognized for their contributions on the forums. They have been granted extra responsibility to help maintain the forum community.

Now I understand that the Aeriagames forum is MASSIVE and it has a lot of posters, topics and announcements. I also understand that most of the [GS]'s and [GM]'s are busy ingame, on the forum and in real life. Posting updated content, information for events, polls , working etc. You get my point. They are all doing an excellent job helping other members BUT they are not maintaining the forum to the best of there ability (tidy wise). I don't even know if [GM]'s, [GS]'s (ingame) have the power to moderate aeria forums.

I know this is a lot coming from a newbie on this forum BUT I have had experience in maintaining (moderating) large forums. It would be nice to see topics in the right section and where they are ment to be. Trolling and anything going against Aeria's rules locked, and topics older then 6 months and have had NO ACTIVITY what so ever locked as well. Now I'm not saying that they don't already do this, but from what I've had a look at. It's not happening.

Just better maintainence and tidying the place up would be nice. Even if a topic is posted every few minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour. WHATEVER. A good forum needs more then just members that contribute well. Being tidy and maintained to a high standard would be excellent.

One last thing, I know that Forum [GS]'S may not have all day to do this basic maintainence, but do we have too few and do we need more? I know applications open once a month or when positions are free but seriously, are the ones that have power to maintain the forums too few in numbers? We may have a large number of GM's and GS's already but it doesn't mean they have the time to get to this stuff. Some won't even be bothered to do the basics.

Thanks

P.S. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Just trying to raise a point.
Advertisement

MerlinMcTav

Rank 5.1
MerlinMcTav
PostedAug 16, 2011 11:20 pm
Firstly, it doesn't matter that you are new to the forums - everybody is welcome Smile

You make some good points. I'll try & answer some of them at least.
As my tag says, I am a game sage for Shaiya - so a lot of my answers will be slanted there.

Yes, the forums are huge.
And yes, the forum sages are spread too thinly to cover the whole lot - but hopefully that's where the in-game sages can help.
We don't have forum moderation powers (nor should we), but we do have contacts with the forum sages.
We can let them know when there are problems that need addressing.

Within the Shaiya portion of the web site I will do much of what you are suggesting.
I'll get offensive posts removed.
I'll point people to the right part of the forum if they post in the wrong place. Sometimes I will get the threads moved if they go too long.
I will ask people not to necro threads - and if it continues I'll get the threads locked.

Notice though that I'll only get the forum sages involved for the bigger problems. I have seen similar things from other Shaiya game sages too.
This does mean that there may be little problems - and quite often there are. Sometimes the Shaiya forums are a bit messy, but in my opinion it's not usually a big enough mess to really worry about.
If it does become too messy then I will do something about it.

But we are quite fortunate in Shaiya - we have 3 or 4 game sages like me who spend quite a bit of time on the forums.
Other games may not be so lucky.

I don't know that I have an answer for those other games - perhaps you could make suggestions in the places you see as a big issue Very Happy

RIP Kizzd

demoman11

Rank 0
demoman11
PostedAug 16, 2011 11:58 pm
Thank you for your feedback, from what I saw in some sections. Game Masters have forum powers as well? Contacting the game sages (forum) when a problem comes up might take too long. When they attend to it , it might be to late. I'm not saying that Aeria should open the doors and mass employ a bunch of people to be forum game sages. No, not that at all. I know that this next "thing" mentioned applies to some of the positions (correct me if I'm wrong). When one of you guys go away you have to tell staff about it right? Why not put a minimal time limit that each game sage has to spend on the forums.

Just for example, minimal 30 or 45 minutes on the forum everyday.

That way it ensures that some tidying up is done and I'm pretty sure most of you guys can afford atleast 30 minutes.

I will try suggesting it on other forums, but I'm not sure if that is my responsibilty to do. I play Shaiya, not LastChoas or any other of those games. Those other forums are for those members to commit to, I'm not saying I won't. I'm just saying I'm concerned for Shaiya's forum more then the rest. I'm not saying that Shaiya is better then the rest, Shaiya is just my center of interest. If you like this could be a general idea for all forums.

If any action happens because of this topic, later on when I have all the qualifications for a Forum [GS] I might apply when the doors are next open.

evilbeast

Rank 3
evilbeast
PostedAug 17, 2011 3:42 am
Our [GS]'s are the best in the world.
They are there when you least expect it and especially when you don't think they are watching.

In our forums there's never a feeling of being "watched", even though we are. I think that's important because people don't like being under observation or reminded that we are.

demoman11

Rank 0
demoman11
PostedAug 17, 2011 4:04 am
I know the GS’s and GM’s are there for us when we least expect it, and I’m not saying they aren’t doing their job properly. They are doing their job excellently, I’m just saying that better forum maintenance would make life easier.

A topic that has already finished, a topic that is months old and no one has locked it. Each time someone posts in one of those kinds of threads, it clogs up the front page with topics that aren’t needed there. I was browsing through the barter today and I found a topic I was interested in and someone had recently posted in (according to the thingy) and I looked at the OP and it was months old.

By cleaning the forum more regularly (even though this process is difficult it will be worth it) it will be better filtered. All the recent content, polls, announcements (if they’re not pinned) will be seen by almost everyone and not pushed down by all the other content being posted by others. People also tend to post in the wrong section anyway, in an attempt to get more attention to their sale/discussion/call for help. To be honest I think the forum needs more sections.

This would also cut the work load, just simple “expansions” to sections. For example, with the barter section for each server… make a light and dark subforum. That way there won’t be all these topics for different fractions all over the shop. For linked (general…if we have one of these) server barter just break it up into classes e.g. Fighter/Defender, Oracle/Pagan. Player sales might be more successful…things will benefit everyone. People won’t have so much trouble navigating through all this content.
That’s all I have to say right now.

evilbeast

Rank 3
evilbeast
PostedAug 17, 2011 4:56 am
I agree, I see your point.
Your idea for the barter boards is awsome.
But I don't think a clean sweep of all forums is needed.

I guess I'm just used to the way things are. ><

I kinda like to be able to post an old suggestion thread to a new post made with the same suggestion. If the old one was locked I wouldn't be able to.
I see the need to tidy up a bit, but I also like the meeting of minds and the organized chaos only a cluttered forum full of accessible content can bring.

Welcome to our crazy world demoman11 AkA Stalagmite. =)

Maybe if the barter boards were a little neater I would shop there more, lol!

KTCAOP

GameSage: Forum
KTCAOP
PostedAug 17, 2011 7:20 pm
There is a link in my signature that sends me an email whenever the form is filled out =). There is at least one other moderator that regularly checks where the forms are submitted as well.

demoman11

Rank 0
demoman11
PostedAug 17, 2011 8:50 pm
Thanks for that, but this point I'm trying to make isn't really about reporting topics and people. That is easily done, it's just maintanence. I'll take a note of your link. Thanks.